Bank charge victims fight back. Many decide to put debt on hold pending OFT case.

alecmac18

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have spoke to a number of people over the past few days who have a large outstanding claim for unfair penalty charges against their bank. Some of these people also owe the same bank money (through personal loan, overdraft or credit card).

I have now spoken to more than a few people who have decided to stop paying back debt held with their bank pending the outcome of the OFT test case.

The rationale being that each amount cancels the other out. Different people I have spoken to have gone about it in different ways. I spoke to a chap the other day who's bank had taken him to court regarding an outstanding debt that was about equal to his bank charge claim. The man issued a counterclaim against the bank and now both debts are on hold pending the outcome of the OFT test case.

Others have simply stopped making loan repayments and written to the bank saying why.

Not that I'm recommending that anyone here does this......but it shows some of the unforseen consequences that are hitting banks as a result of deciding to fight their customers on these charges.

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

It is not something I would recommend though as the banks wil lstil lreport to the CRA's and apply defaults etc which is another long battle to get removed. Also the bank will use its right of offset if the account is still being used for income. If anyone has to stop paying through hardship, then they must geta parachute account and have their income and bills etc sorted into this account before the bank realise and take all their income.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.