re;what are the rules about not speaking to others

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5990 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,i work for royal mail and we have as you all are aware been on strike and just returned to work...is there something somewhere which says we have to talk to other colleagues ( strike breakers )...i do not want to have to talk to them for obvious reasons but we have been told this is not allowed...can someone please clarify the situation...surely i also have rights to free speech..thanks paul

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a consumer issues forum.

I would suggest that you speak to your union about this.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Excluding collegues by "sending them to Coventry" or subjecting them to other forms of exclusion because of their beliefs (whatever they may be) is a form of bullying and is simply unacceptable in the workplace. As Rooster suggests you should talk to your union about this - they should most certainly advise you against this practice.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I totally agree with Ell-enn and Rooster. You can and almost certainty will be disciplined for excluding colleagues and i would think your union would frown upon it.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

Personally I'd be thankful that some of your co workers can be bothered to get off their bums and go into work when you couldn't be bothered to. I'd also be thankful that you still have a job that pays incredibly well for what is essentially unskilled work.

If it wasn't for some of your co workers going in to work chances are you'd still be catching up from the aftermath of your laziness

Just my thoughts

• Haha 1

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

If royal mail continues to cripple industry in this country it will cease to exist.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Personally I'd be thankful that some of your co workers can be bothered to get off their bums and go into work when you couldn't be bothered to. I'd also be thankful that you still have a job that pays incredibly well for what is essentially unskilled work.

If it wasn't for some of your co workers going in to work chances are you'd still be catching up from the aftermath of your laziness

Just my thoughts

What a dull reply. It answers nothing to the question posed but instead intends to bash.

I cannot agree that approx £16k is pay of an 'incredible amount,' as you suggest, where any portion of work at the PO is shift work.

Even for unskilled work that is about £10k-£11k take home. About 1k or 2k more than a full time Mcdonalds employee.

To counter your arguement if it wasn't for those prepared to sacrifice then the strike breakers wouldn't enjoy a pay rise despite working through the strike and only gaining and never losing.

To put into perspective the CEO of Royal Mail received a pay just announced of £1.3 million for one year! Despite making a loss. More than a postie will earn in a lifetime!!

Get real.

• Haha 1

I totally agree with Ell-enn and Rooster. You can and almost certainty will be disciplined for excluding colleagues and i would think your union would frowned upon.

Utter rubbish.

If I had to talk to a strike breaker it would be about work operations and nothing else. I wouldn't be obliged to ask how his mother is doing, what the weather is like or did he watch Eastenders last night.

The union would encourage the silent treatment in any case.

A postie on a walk doesn't need much interaction with others anyway. Especially not strike breakers.

Excluding collegues by "sending them to Coventry" or subjecting them to other forms of exclusion because of their beliefs (whatever they may be) is a form of bullying and is simply unacceptable in the workplace. As Rooster suggests you should talk to your union about this - they should most certainly advise you against this practice.

What?:confused:

The CWU would actually chastise the union member for getting jiggy with a strike breaker.

The rule in any workplace is to communicate with a strike breaker in the day to day work activity and to totally ignore them otherwise.

That is not bullying-it's doing the job but choosing not to be friendly.

Hardly an ET claim!:confused:

hi,i work for royal mail and we have as you all are aware been on strike and just returned to work...is there something somewhere which says we have to talk to other colleagues ( strike breakers )...i do not want to have to talk to them for obvious reasons but we have been told this is not allowed...can someone please clarify the situation...surely i also have rights to free speech..thanks paul

Strike breakers are known as strike breakers.

So long as you communicate to get the job done then totally ignore them.

You are not obliged to talk about Britney Spears' latest breakdown with some numpty you wouldn't give the time of day for.

As long as you do your job then don't worry.

If royal mail continues to cripple industry in this country it will cease to exist.

I agree.

Although it is the useless management who reward themselves obscene amounts of money, make awful decisions (Consignia?), and twiddle their thumbs that have destroyed this once greatly admired and efficient industry.

I take it that is what you meant by Royal Mail?

Why should you wish to ignore your fellow workers because they never went on strike, maybe (and it is possible) they are quite happy with their job/pay that is their choice just as it is your choice to go on strike but it dosent mean you are right and they are wrong.

You cant ignore people when it affects your production of work.

Live and let live.

Utter rubbish.

If I had to talk to a strike breaker it would be about work operations and nothing else. I wouldn't be obliged to ask how his mother is doing, what the weather is like or did he watch Eastenders last night.

The union would encourage the silent treatment in any case.

A postie on a walk doesn't need much interaction with others anyway. Especially not strike breakers

Point of law............................just to call a co worker a " strike breaker " could get you in trouble. Its derogatory and offensive and it has no place in the workplace. A company is well within its rights to discipline someone for using terms of this nature to co workers.

You are right about not having to talk about their mother or Britney Spears latest breakdown etc etc but , if a company has reasonable belief that a co worker is being " sent to Coventry " then they can take action.

Point of fact...........Unions have moved away from the Arthur Scargill days and do not encourage this sort of behavior.

Unions are specifically prohibited from unjustifiably disciplining a member under the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 chapter 5, section 64.

It states

(1) An individual who is or has been a member of a trade union has the right not to be unjustifiably disciplined by the union.

(2) For this purpose an individual is “disciplined” by a trade union if a determination is made, or purportedly made, under the rules of the union or by an official of the union or a number of persons including an official that—

whether an individual is “unjustifiably disciplined” shall be determined in accordance with section 65.

Meaning of “unjustifiably disciplined”

(1) An individual is unjustifiably disciplined by a trade union if the actual or supposed conduct which constitutes the reason, or one of the reasons, for disciplining him is—

(a) failing to participate in or support a strike or other industrial action (whether by members of the union or by others), or indicating opposition to or a lack of support for such action;

The authorities would consider encouraging members to "send to Coventry " strike breakers as form of discipline and the union would possibly face a heavy fine and a compensation claim.

So i can say Categorically that the CWU would most definitely discourage this sort of action by its members.

• Haha 1

Why should you wish to ignore your fellow workers because they never went on strike, maybe (and it is possible) they are quite happy with their job/pay that is their choice just as it is your choice to go on strike but it dosent mean you are right and they are wrong.

You cant ignore people when it affects your production of work.

Live and let live.

We simply have differing political beliefs then.

I didn't advocate ignoring people should it affect the production of work-I said there is no obligation on anybody to talk 'on friendly terms' with somebody they do not like. And strike breakers are not liked by those who strike.

Employment history will show that workers direct actions, such as strike, has been highly effective to improve their lot.

Point of law............................just to call a co worker a " strike breaker " could get you in trouble. Its derogatory and offensive and it has no place in the workplace. A company is well within its rights to discipline someone for using terms of this nature to co workers.

You are right about not having to talk about their mother or Britney Spears latest breakdown etc etc but , if a company has reasonable belief that a co worker is being " sent to Coventry " then they can take action.

Point of fact...........Unions have moved away from the Arthur Scargill days and do not encourage this sort of behavior.

Unions are specifically prohibited from unjustifiably disciplining a member under the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 chapter 5, section 64.

It states

(1) An individual who is or has been a member of a trade union has the right not to be unjustifiably disciplined by the union.

(2) For this purpose an individual is “disciplined” by a trade union if a determination is made, or purportedly made, under the rules of the union or by an official of the union or a number of persons including an official that—

whether an individual is “unjustifiably disciplined” shall be determined in accordance with section 65.

Meaning of “unjustifiably disciplined”

(1) An individual is unjustifiably disciplined by a trade union if the actual or supposed conduct which constitutes the reason, or one of the reasons, for disciplining him is—

(a) failing to participate in or support a strike or other industrial action (whether by members of the union or by others), or indicating opposition to or a lack of support for such action;

The authorities would consider encouraging members to "send to Coventry " strike breakers as form of discipline and the union would possibly face a heavy fine and a compensation claim.

So i can say Categorically that the CWU would most definitely discourage this sort of action by its members.

Interesting. However-

I previously indicated a strike breaker is known as a strike breaker. Much in the same way that a manager may be known as a dope.

One wouldn't directly call the manager a dope for obvious reasons or the strike breaker a strike breaker.

It is identified and referred to in private but the strike breaker would be ignored 'other than in the process of work.' Please read my previous posts.

As for the rest, in my experience, a strike breaker wouldn't be a trade union member in any case so would hardly be likely to be disciplined by the union as they wouldn't have the authority to do so anyway.

Again, if a worker declined to speak to a colleague out of the remit of the job then that is not grounds for disciplinary action. It is a choice.

I would suggest also that the original poster asks his CWU reps about the issue of strike breakers and then post back.

If your strike breaker is a non union member then he has to work or he would be in breach of contract. Only union members have protection under law to strike and only then if its correctly balloted etc.So how are they to blame for doing what they are legally bound to do..

You are incorrect in thinking that you can " send to Coventry " anyone, be they union members or not.

If as you say, you only talked to them concerning the job, then yes that is choice but be very careful, employment law does not require to prove guilt as criminal law does.If the company has reason to believe that a employee is being sent to Coventry the can take action.

I believe in the right to strike at a last resort however the rights of others not to strike also needs protecting.

No union would advocate this sort of behavior and many would in fact support the company if they took action to stamp this out.

Totally agree cal37

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

If your strike breaker is a non union member then he has to work or he would be in breach of contract. Only union members have protection under law to strike and only then if its correctly balloted etc.So how are they to blame for doing what they are legally bound to do..

You are incorrect in thinking that you can " send to Coventry " anyone, be they union members or not.

If as you say, you only talked to them concerning the job, then yes that is choice but be very careful, employment law does not require to prove guilt as criminal law does.If the company has reason to believe that a employee is being sent to Coventry the can take action.

I believe in the right to strike at a last resort however the rights of others not to strike also needs protecting.

No union would advocate this sort of behavior and many would in fact support the company if they took action to stamp this out.

A non union member of staff who continues to work is a strike breaker just as a strike breaking union member is.

My posts are concerned with this subject from the OP and of this particular employer, Royal Mail, and the CWU because I have experience of it.

My particular area of employment was quite militant but not as much as, say, Liverpool, which has/had a very militant attitude.

The Royal Mail would actually advise those non union members during strikes to either come to work or not, however, no action would be taken if they did not attend.

It is only a breach of contract if the party wishes to enforce it otherwise it is an agreed variation.

The majority of Royal Mail frontline managers are actually themselves only postmen/women and are still CWU members. They are known as acting managers.

It was a common sight to see a postman one day being a postie and ignoring a strike breaker, the next day then being a manager but still ignoring a strike breaker, outside the concern of the job of course.

I can never remember a CWU rep ever being friendly with a strike breaker either.

Unless you have worked at a sorting office, especially during/after strike action, then it may be difficult to comprehend.

If you have worked in this environment then I do not believe your posts to be accurate or even believable.

I would suggest the OP posts back to confirm I have given an accurate account.

Also, I would think to bring an ET claim on the basis that an employee felt like a 'Billy no mates' because nobody wishes to talk to him (other than about the job in hand) would be quite futile.

hi thanks for your answers on both side of the argument....but what about the human rights act 1998 about the freedom of expression..does this not count..

12 Freedom of expression (1) This section applies if a court is considering whether to grant any relief which, if granted, might affect the exercise of the Convention right to freedom of expression.

(2) If the person against whom the application for relief is made (“the respondent”) is neither present nor represented, no such relief is to be granted unless the court is satisfied—

(a) that the applicant has taken all practicable steps to notify the respondent; or

(b) that there are compelling reasons why the respondent should not be notified.

(3) No such relief is to be granted so as to restrain publication before trial unless the court is satisfied that the applicant is likely to establish that publication should not be allowed.

(4) The court must have particular regard to the importance of the Convention right to freedom of expression and, where the proceedings relate to material which the respondent claims, or which appears to the court, to be journalistic, literary or artistic material (or to conduct connected with such material), to—

(a) the extent to which—

(i) the material has, or is about to, become available to the public; or

(ii) it is, or would be, in the public interest for the material to be published;

(b) any relevant privacy code.

(5) In this section—

“court” includes a tribunal; and

“relief” includes any remedy or order (other than in criminal proceedings).

just asking peeps..

What a dull reply. It answers nothing to the question posed but instead intends to bash.

I cannot agree that approx £16k is pay of an 'incredible amount,' as you suggest, where any portion of work at the PO is shift work.

Even for unskilled work that is about £10k-£11k take home. About 1k or 2k more than a full time Mcdonalds employee.

To counter your arguement if it wasn't for those prepared to sacrifice then the strike breakers wouldn't enjoy a pay rise despite working through the strike and only gaining and never losing.

To put into perspective the CEO of Royal Mail received a pay just announced of £1.3 million for one year! Despite making a loss. More than a postie will earn in a lifetime!!

Get real.

So by your own argument here royal mail employees earn about 5k a year more than other unskilled workers.

I believe you made my point for me! :D

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

Who mentioned an ET claim? I have been talking about your employer taking you to task. Your co worker could take the employer to an ET for NOT taking issue with you for your work place bullying if he wished.If the managers do not deal with an issue of this nature then they do not belong in their jobs.

From the CWU web site

Our members

CWU members work in the Post Office, BT and other telephone companies, cable TV, Accenture HR Services, the Alliance and Leicester and Girobank. Our members' expertise includes engineering, computing, clerical, mechanical, driving, retail, financial and manual skills.

The union's values

The CWU's Statement of Values aims:

• to provide first class collective and individual representation for all CWU members;
  • to achieve security of employment for all members;
  • to offer individual membership services of the highest quality;
  • to expand trade union membership throughout the communications industry;
  • to promote, by industrial and political means, the success of the industries in which our members work;
  • to campaign against all forms of discrimination;
  • to further these objectives by promoting the influence of the union throughout the national and international community.

Note the bold statement, you are saying that the union and its reps encourage discrimination against co workers who do not strike,even non union members !!!!

On Monday i will give John Hendy who is on the CWU`s Standing Council a call and ask him the official views on this issue.

• Haha 1

Who mentioned an ET claim? I have been talking about your employer taking you to task. Your co worker could take the employer to an ET for NOT taking issue with you for your work place bullying if he wished.If the managers do not deal with an issue of this nature then they do not belong in their jobs.

From the CWU web site

Our members

CWU members work in the Post Office, BT and other telephone companies, cable TV, Accenture HR Services, the Alliance and Leicester and Girobank. Our members' expertise includes engineering, computing, clerical, mechanical, driving, retail, financial and manual skills.

The union's values

The CWU's Statement of Values aims:

• to provide first class collective and individual representation for all CWU members;
  • to achieve security of employment for all members;
  • to offer individual membership services of the highest quality;
  • to expand trade union membership throughout the communications industry;
  • to promote, by industrial and political means, the success of the industries in which our members work;
  • to campaign against all forms of discrimination;
  • to further these objectives by promoting the influence of the union throughout the national and international community.

Note the bold statement, you are saying that the union and its reps encourage discrimination against co workers who do not strike,even non union members !!!!

On Monday i will give John Hendy who is on the CWU`s Standing Council a call and ask him the official views on this issue.

Get in the real world Cal37. Your name dropper is most likely a pen pusher.

Ask any postie of the reality of working in a sorting office with [edit].