weller711

Reponse from cabot - not sure how to reply

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3332 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I have receieved a response fom CAbot in relation to my CCA request, the letter states:

We have a customer by the name of xxxxx and unfortunatly the information supplied to us by the origimator was out of date. As a result we used valid tracing methods in an attempt to locate our customer and your details were amongst a number of name matched that were found. At that stage a letter was sent to your address requesting that you contact us.

Please contact us to confirm your previous address so that we can confirm that the account is linked to you. We can then proceeed in investigating your dispute in this matter.

Now the debt is for an old Argos card that was taken out some years ago, in fact I would imagine that it is statue barred but cannot be certain. I need to repsond to this as I dont want them to send a letter to my parents address (where the debt was taken out) my mum has the same initals as me so I dont want them to know I am in debt so where do I go from here? Do I confirm my old address or just send a letter regarding the Statue barred rule even though I am not 100% sure it is thoughI am about 90% sure. I moved in here in March 2002 so will have lived here for 6 years in March and the debt was taken out at my old address................

Personally I'd ignore it, they'd be in breach of OFT guidelines if they tried to persue a debt when they've admitted they don't know if you're the debtor in question.

My advice would be to let your mum in on this so that if she does receive a letter she doesn't do anything silly - no matter how well intentioned - like phone Cabot.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

KEEP HOLD OF THE LETTER!!! File it away somewhere safe. And if you start getting phone calls, tell them you know nothing about any debt, and that you demand they stop. If they harrass your mum, just deny everything. You could always ask her if it's HER that ran up the debt. ;)

Just kidding. I'd take Dave's advice and tell your mum. What if she panicks and starts paying them even though it's nothing to do with her? It has been known to happen before, with tragic consequences.

Cabot, when you read this remember.... lack of due diligence killed a poor old lady not so long ago. Behave!!!!

I definately agree with Seahorse in that you should keep the letter (as well as a log of any calls, successful or not).

The OFT sadly cannot act on individual complaints but if enough people bring Cabot's activities to their attention it could jeapordise their fitness to hold a consumer credit licence - or at the very least start acting within the OFT guidelines.

I know from personal experience how embarrassing it is to tell a relative about debt, but I also remember my dad foolishly giving a DCA my work phone number because he didn't know any better.

You say this debt is probably statute barred - be aware that if it isn't and your mum paid even £1 the clock would be reset.

:)

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

Thanks guys

Should I send a letter stating tht it is staue barred, if so where can I find one? Or should I just ignore them?

Ignore them for the time being. They don't know yet that you are the person they are after. Heck, you might NOT be. Tracing firms can and do get it wrong, and it may not be you after all. So don't reply unless it becomes obvious.

Hi Folks

Received another letter from cabot, this time stating that they have received all information I requested but I have not replied to their letter asking for confirmation of my previous address. They go on to say that "as required as tracing was done in order to locate our customer and under the DPA, we need to be reasonably certain that the tracing was carried out correctly before supplying account information, we look forward to receiving confirmation of your previous addresses so that we can establish if the account is yours and provide you with the information you requested"

Now as I have said, I am 99% certain that this debt is Statue Barred - its not even on my credit file, so is there a letter I can send stating that it is Statue Barred?

Many thanks

You are NOT obliged to do their work for them. Let them find out where you used to live. Ignore the letter. AFter all, if they have applied due diligence, they would already know who you are. Otherwise, how do they know they have the right person? Catch 22, Cabot. You can't confirm who the subject is, but you would be breaching the Data Protection Act to reveal any more than you have already. :D

Check, Cabot's move . ;)

• Haha 1

I absolutely agree with SeaHorse. Why the 'eck should you give them the bullets to fire at you. I would be inclined to write back and say you have no intention of providing them with personal information of this nature and unless they have some specific information with regard to yourself to present to you you will not engage in any further communication.

They are just fishing and hope you are daft enough to jump into their net.

I would be inclined to sent copies of their letters and your responses to the Information Commissioner and Trading Standards and just for good measure the Office of Fair Trading.

From what i can gather from various posters on here and elsewhere Cabot has a few problems with ICO so another add another log to the fire.

Personally I would ingonre the letter. If they continue complain to Trading Standards for them harrassing you without first proving you have any debt owed to them.

you have it in black and white that they cannot prove it is you ...

As said above don't do their work for them.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

Seahorse,

Hi, are you still contactable on this site, I am a newbie with Cabot issues and would like your advice.

Thanks.

Hi hadenough, use the drop down search for Cabot, lots of interesting and informative stuff on there.