• Tweets

• What is Johnson trying to do now? Even the Mail thinks he risks inflaming things further with France. First the jibes in Franglais and now Macron is behaving like a lover being jilted at the last minute. I guess Bozo has plenty of experience of dealing with that.   Boris Johnson's 'Franglais jibes' appear to liken Macron to jilted lover on Ausuk submarine deal | Daily Mail Online WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK The Prime Minister risked pouring fresh fuel on the fire over the £50billion Ausuk submarine pact by breaking into 'Franglais' jibes and appearing to...  
    • Avro Energy and Green - which combined supply gas and electricity to around 835,000 customers - have announced they are ceasing to tradeView the full article
    • Back in 2006 I came face to face with a debt problem which was that I could clear my debts or help a family member and I of course chose the latter.   The resultant onslaught of phone calls and letters was at first unsettling but I realised, particularly with the help afforded by this site that in reality there was nothing they could do.  If your friend has no assets then they can't take them,  If he challenges their assertions to the debts then in the main they can't prove them, if he has nothing then they will not make him bankrupt and even if he has something they will not make him bankrupt because they have to pay the fees and then anything your friend has is split up between all the people he owes so no business will go that route.   In short, although they will huff and puff they are pretty much not able to blow his house down even if it is made of straw like mine!   He should adapt to the situation and turn it into a hobby like I did/do.   I actually collect debt collection letters and other things they send out.   When something arrives in the post I am likely to say "Oh I have got one of those" or "Ah something new for my collection".   Thinking like this causes the intimidation to drop away and become ineffective.   Tell him to can his worries and start enjoying life, because I guarantee that the Creditors are not staying awake worrying about him!  He is just a few magnetic dots on their hard drive and is in their threatomatic machine.  Depending upon his reaction he will be moved around the machine and there are parts of the machine which are programmed to deal with debtors who don't respond and that is to park them out of the way and work on other ones.
    • It's up to you. You could spend the weekend reading up and then send the letter of claim on Monday – and then issue the claim shortly before you go. It depends whether you have access to your email et cetera while you are away. I would be amazed if they failed to respond – but if they did, then you would put in for a default judgement immediately and then enforcement. However I would imagine that they would respond with an acknowledgement of service giving them a full 28 days to file a defence. This means that you would receive the defence roughly when you returned. However you would have to be able to keep in contact with the court system by means of email and also with us. Of course if you wanted then you could leave it for the full six weeks and we can start then. You decide
    • Have you contacted Courts to find out if a set aside application has been made ?   Have you checked to see whether the Builder has any other CCJ's ?   Home WWW.TRUSTONLINE.ORG.UK   Perhaps the legal advice relates to the Builder being able to pay ?  i.e. get in quick to enforce the judgement.    Enforcing a CCJ does not cost £4k.  Sounds like your Lawyer is including their own hefty fees in arranging this.   Make a court claim for money: Enforce a judgment - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to take legal action if someone owes you money (small claims court), how much it costs, what happens next. Includes information from...  
  • Our picks

Overturning a stay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all,

I have appealed to try and get the stay overturned on the following grounds,

that bank failed to file any documents to be relied on in court, written statements or a skeleton argument within 14 days of the proposed hearing and have therefore argued that the bank forfeited the right to contest the claim.

The date of the hearing to lift the stay has been set for 28/11/07 and whilst I have my doubts that this is a sound legal argument I,m willing to chance a no show from the bank involved and hopefully this will leave the judge no other choice than to award in my favour.

Are my reasonings valid ? Any advice would be welcome.

If the banks solicitors have ignored the courts directions yes they are, or at least it will put the banks solicitors on the back foot and into very deep water.

What did your Judge direct the bank to do before your hearing? this will be detailed on the hearing notice you got from the court.

Have you sent everything the court asked you to send?

pete

Pete,

good morning and thanks for reply.

With regard to the original hearing date I sent all the relevant arguments (as detailed on this forum) to Barclays and the court at the end of August for a September 14th hearing and recieved nothing in return from the bank.

The stay was then granted on the 8th september and this has formed the basis of my appeal, that Barclays forfeited the right to defend the claim.

I filled in the application notice (n244) and sent fee and have had a copy of this returned, along with a notice of hearing of application (1400 28/11/07) and a general form of judgement or order ( District Judge A******, upon reading the ex parte application, orders that this matter be listed on notice on the first open date with a time estimate of 1 hour). Nothing I can see where the judge is directing the bank specifically.

I'm hoping that Barclays either will, contact me before said date and settle or that they will be a no show on the hearing date and the judge will have no option but to lift the stay.

The only slight issue is that I'm fighting this for my son and whilst I will be in court with him, I assume he will have to do the speaking and therefore will have to keep the argument short and simple. I am also surprised the court has allocated 1 hour for what seems a fairly straight forward yes or no situation.

Anyway, any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Hello Ian, when I was in court the other day, a few of us were heard at the same time. Before the hearing a lady asked if she could speak on behalf of her mother, (her mother was there) She was granted permission to speak on her behalf. Hope this is of some help, Hils

Hi Ian

I was in court yesterday to try and get my stays lifted on my business and personal claims. My cases were the same as yours in that Barclays did nothing the court had asked them and yet I did everything and paid the fees (£530 in total so far). He still refused to lift the stay and quoted a paragraph from Barclays defence papers for the Oft case that the barrister handed to him during the hearing.

Hope you have better luck.