Esporta health club wont let me cancel

Guest wino
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Salty

I went through something similar with David Lloyd Health & Fitness Club several years ago. We had a full family membership £150 per month. Unfortunatly my husband and myself both came out of work at the same time (we worked at the same company and it went bust) I tried to cancell our membership and was told we had 6 months of our contract to run and that we needed to give 6 months notice of cancellation. I asked to reduce the membership to a basic one and this to was refused. The debt was passed on to a debt collection agency who agreed to accept £10 per month. I have proof that I made some payments but not many.

A while later we were back in work and I went back to David Lloyd to join again. I said I knew we still owed money and I would pay it all there and then. The lady checked with the manager and said for me just to pay one month fees in advance and that the manager would contact me about the arrears in a couple of days. I gave a cheque that was quickly cashed then once they had that money the manager rang to say they had refused my membership application and were using the money I had given to settle the previous debt. I tried to fight this decision as he had took my money under false pretences. I didn't get anywhere.

I have heared so many stories from other people about not just David Lloyd Fitness but it seems a general rule amongst most of the clubs that once they've got you they won't let go. One person I have heared about was in a car accident now in a wheel chair. They cannot cancel their membership after the club in question said that the gym would help them in there recouperation. Sorry I'm going on a bit here. All I can say is keep trying. I gave up but now you've rattled my cage again I might fight for my money back as it was within the last 6 years. Good luck

Hi ..i tried to cancel my gym membership with esporta and recieved a letter saying i couldn't cancel my memebership but said they would consider a doctors opinion, so i replied with a doctors letter reference a back problem...yesterday a recieved a call from the gym saying the head office had rejected my doctors letter..so i asked if i could give three months notice and was told that i am stuck in a twelve month contract which will cost me about £520 for the ten months remaining.

I'm on benefits and a pension for a back injury and schizophrenia i can't afford £520 ...

I was thinking on getting another letter , but this time reference my schizophrenia , maybe they will let me cancel with a letter from a psychiatrist, in the hope they wont want a nutter in the gym lol ? I only joined because i was told there would be no problem canceling..... what do you think?:-?

I would seriously consider simply stopping payments as you clearly can't afford it. Write tocomplain about how you have been treated ie they asked for Dr letter you gave one now they are trying to wriggle out of it.

They may threaten to pass the 'debt on to DCA's - who have no legal powers - they aren't bailiffs so eg no right to enter your home or take goods.

Once you have written to complain also consider contacting your local Trading Standards and see if they will take this up for you.

As far as I'm aware non payment of gym membership shouldn't affect your cred ref files either ( unless they manage to get a CCJ against you at some point ).

Hope this helps; best of luck :)

Hi ..i tried to cancel my gym membership with esporta and recieved a letter saying i couldn't cancel my memebership but said they would consider a doctors opinion, so i replied with a doctors letter reference a back problem...yesterday a recieved a call from the gym saying the head office had rejected my doctors letter..so i asked if i could give three months notice and was told that i am stuck in a twelve month contract which will cost me about £520 for the ten months remaining.

I'm on benefits and a pension for a back injury and schizophrenia i can't afford £520 ...

I was thinking on getting another letter , but this time reference my schizophrenia , maybe they will let me cancel with a letter from a psychiatrist, in the hope they wont want a nutter in the gym lol ? I only joined because i was told there would be no problem canceling..... what do you think?:-?