Major Problems with BT. Advice please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

God, this is quite long-winded and complex so apologies in advance for the long post........

I've been a BT customer since 2001, but the account was always in my brothers name. Anyway, my brother moved out in August last year so I contacted BT. I told them to cancel the broadband as my brother had taken his computer with him and to change the account into my name. They did cancel the broadband but I received a letter or statement sometime later that was still in my brothers name.

I got a computer in March so contacted BT to ask them to put the broadband back on. I also mentioned that I had previously asked them to put the account in my name but that they hadn't done it, and could they do it now. They said no problem, and the broadband was put back on.

However, we got the quarterly statement in June (still in my brother's name!) and it was much higher than I anticipated. I paid it off in 3 installments, making the last payment on 12th September. In the meantime, BT terminated the contract due to the late payment of the invoice.

I was planning to ring BT and ask them to reinstate the service when I paid the last installment but before I had chance, they sent me a final bill which included the charge for the broadband right to the end of next October (I signed up to an 18 month contract in April). I don't think this is fair as they terminated the contract, not me.

I logged 2 complaints on their website in October, both of which were completely ignored. I then contacted the Debt Recovery Unit who told me that there was nothing I could do, I just had to pay the bill! They then put me through to the broadband department who said they had the right to hold me to the terms of the contract, even though it was them who cancelled it because it was due to late payment.

I then contacted Citizens Advice who said that the contract wasn't valid as they had not changed the account into my name. Basically, they had let me enter into a contract in my brothers name which is apparently against the law. My brother has sent a letter of complaint to BT, saying that we informed them twice that he no longer lived there, that they should never have let me agree to a contract in his and that he is not liable to pay it.

They have not responded to his letter, and I have now received a letter from Debt Collectors in MY NAME threatening me with court action and bailiffs. Can they just change the account into my name now, after the event? The Debt Collectors have also applied a £110 admin charge to the debt, taking the total outstanding debt to £450!!! I can not afford this. I don't mind paying for services they have provided, but am reluctant to pay for the broadband that they are not going to give me. Especially as they are merely enforcing the terms of a contract that apparently isn't even legal.

In the meantime, I still need broadband and a phoneline, but as BT own all the landlines where do I stand with this? Can they refuse to activate my line if I decide to take my business elsewhere?

I don't know what to do. I have complained online, by phone and by letter and they are completely ignoring us. They just keep sending letters demanding money. Please give me some advice. I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall!

Telephone BT and ask for a deadlocked letter as they have refused to deal with your complaint and then take the matter up with Otello.

If they refuse, contact Otello directly and explain the situation.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping I can just sort it with BT rather than having to complain to the ombudsman. I just wish they would bloody reply to me!!

I've not had much of a response on here, or on moneysavingexpert. If anybody else knows anything about this sort of thing, please help!