Shocking Kitchen Electrics - please check yours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Ok this is a bit shocking and something that everyone should check urgently, no matter if you are tenant/landlord/homeowner.

When I moved out of my old house I found out that the oven in the kitchen was wired into a 13amp fused main plug (clearly labelled on the plug).

However, since then I have spoken to several engineers (including BBC and British Gas) and they all confirmed that this is illegal and extremely dangerous. :evil:

The oven needs to be wired into the separate special ring main in the kitchen which is a 40amp fuse and is marked as such.

Not having done this properly causes increased risk of fire and electrical shock (most likely deadly) :o

All the engineers I spoke to were surprised I survived this kitchen for all those years!!!!!

So please check your own situation and make sure you are in a safe kitchen. Please dont mess around in the kitchen yourself, get a professional recommended engineer.

LMS

Not meaning to be nit picky or anything, and although what you have said is recommended(having the oven on a seperate circuit), I am fairly positive that what you have stated is not in any way illegal, nor is it unlawful - indeed it is not even dangerous, for a start it depends on the individual oven...

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

In fact, I would even go so far as to say that basic laws of physics would mean that this kind of set up would not make it any more dangerous, but just make it nigh on impossible to use. As the fuse amperage is lower, it would be MORE likely to trip out, NOT less likely(it is when the fuse does NOT blow that fires etc can start), therefore it would just blow the fuse all the time.

Although, I am not an electrician, and so I could be talking rubbish!! :)

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

The oven needs to be wired into the separate special ring main in the kitchen which is a 40amp fuse and is marked as such.

Not all kitchens have a separate ring main. There is no requirement to create one. Only if the cooker is above 3000 watts should it not run on a 13amp socket.

In fact, I would even go so far as to say that basic laws of physics would mean that this kind of set up would not make it any more dangerous, but just make it nigh on impossible to use. As the fuse amperage is lower, it would be MORE likely to trip out, NOT less likely(it is when the fuse does NOT blow that fires etc can start), therefore it would just blow the fuse all the time.

Although, I am not an electrician, and so I could be talking rubbish!! :)

No, you're not talking rubbish. A 13 amp fuse is far safer than a 40 amp fuse, because it will blow under a 14 amp load. A 40 amp fuse will need three times that load before it will blow!

Sadly, the o/p isn't talking rubbish either. Well, not wholly. The building regulations do require that when building a new house the builder must connect the cooker to a special 40 amp circuit.

However, older properties, built before the current building regulations were invented, were NOT built illegally, because the regulations didn't apply in the old days. So the o/p is talking rubbish in suggesting that the situation is illegal, because that would depend on when the property in question was built, and she has not addressed that point.

It's the building regulations that are rubbish. A 13 amp circuit would be far safer than a 40 amp circuit.

Note

This is a self-help forum in which users share their experiences. Assistance is offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgement; obtain advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

This posting gives general guidance only. It is not an authoritative statement of the law. Consult a Solicitor for specific advice before deciding on any course of action.

Further information:

Assured and Shorthold tenancies - A guide for tenants

Renting and Leasehold - Advice from Shelter

All posts are opinion only

If you've found my suggestions useful, please click on my star and add a comment

It's the building regulations that are rubbish. A 13 amp circuit would be far safer than a 40 amp circuit.

Apart from when it tempts people to bodge a get-around, causing a fire.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.