• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Judge says-Data Protection Act S.A.R compliance order- not in Small Claims Court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A while ago there was a discussion about whether a Small Claims court could give an order to comply with a SAR.

I was in SC court yesterday and the judge said I would have to do this through the County Court, but adjourned the case so that I could find precedent to the contrary.

Bookie has said that Smal Claims CAN do this, IF there is an amount claimed in damages.

Can anyone remember the thread or shed any light on this situation?

Can't help with the thread, but I had a similar experience a couple of months back with Drakes. The Judge was surprised to find that he could award me damages in the SC Court for a breach of the Data Protection Act. He took a break during the hearing to refer to his law books Goode [?] I think. Well it was good for me.:D

The small claims court is only 1 part of a county court, i.e. its just a division of the county court.

But he is talking junk because loads of people have got compliance Orders through small claims. This one for example!

There are also numerous leaflets produced by the ICO this leaflet certainly sets out the stall in that a DPA non compliance can be enforced in the County Court, according to the ICO anyway, and leaflet 8 which this refers to (although i cant link to it right now as their site is playing up) expands on this further.

There will be plenty of cases where such an Order was granted but i have no idea how you could make a reference to a judgement from a small claims court!!

I'd try mailing people who have posted on here saying they have got such an Order and seeing if you can't get a transcript or case reference number that you could give the court. If you do find out though let us know here, i'd be interested in this and it sure has implications for others who may have the same problem.

DCA Theats: Jystmystry V's Wescot - I Win (link)

Default Removal: Jystmystry V's NatWest - In Progress (link)

General Debt - Jysmystry v's Optical Express (link)

You can run but you'll just die tired

I was also under the impression that Small Claims was part of the County Court.

The judge said that although the Small Claims and County Courts come under tha same umbrella, her interpretation of the Act was that Parliament intended claims under the DPA to be heard in the actual County Court section of the building.

She said that although she herself would be hearing the case, (and these are her exact words) she wears:

"different hats in each court room, (well different wigs, to be exact, Mr Noomill!)" as she girlishly brushed a hand through her auborn hair.

she came onto you? haha excelent.

Just get a few case numbers and use them. She asked for a precedent, tell her you can't cite a precedent as a formal legal precedent cannot be formed in any court below a High court or division but that you have provided case references to DPA non-compliance judgements in small claim division of couty courts from X, X & X

DCA Theats: Jystmystry V's Wescot - I Win (link)

Default Removal: Jystmystry V's NatWest - In Progress (link)

General Debt - Jysmystry v's Optical Express (link)

You can run but you'll just die tired

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Noonmill,

Any news on this yet, I am considering whether it is worth my while issueing a N1 for non-compliance under the dpa with the nw. They are ignoring my request for information that I should have been given with my SAR

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

My claims have been Generally Adjourned.

Im leaving it to the Information Commissioners Office to assess my complaint before going any further.

Hello NM,

Thanks for that reply, I will take your advise, before rushing to court. was it you that decided to adjourn your claim.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

AS you can see, my request for case numbers didnt bear fruit.

Wow NM, you have a good gift, you could read my mind and know my next question. Can you tell me if I will be successful in getting the infor I need for my mis-selling ppi claim:D

No, it was the judge's idea. Im quite glad actually, as the baby barrista NCO had engaged told me before the hearing, such as it was, that NCO didnt have to comply due to Durant.

I'll leave it with the ICO for the moment as they have already paid the damages I claimed.

Nothing to stop you claiming damages along with an order for compliance, though. Template POCs in the library.

This case is against a DCA and nothing to do with bank charges.

Are you just looking for an Order to comply with your request, without damages? This should be issued on a Part 8 procedure Claim form;

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/taking_a_case_to_court.pdf

Read page 12 - claiming for specific performance.

If you are wanting damages, along with specific performance, this should be on a Part 7 form. (Read page 8 in the above link)

The claim forms can be found here;

Part 7 - N1 - http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n1_0102.pdf

Part 8 - N208 - http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n208_1000.pdf

Interesting where they say this should be assigned within the County Court? I'm assuming they mean which track to assign it to - ie, small claim or fast track.

Your arguments for the small claims track should be;

• Irrefutable evidence in question, so the only issue is how the law applies to the facts - the Defendant can't claim that they haven't received the request or that they haven't had the specified time period to respond. (Assuming you have proof of postage/delivery)
  • The Law involved is substantial, primary legislation - an Act of Parliament can't be questioned in the County Court, as long as the facts are clear. (See above)
  • The amount of the claim is below £5k. (I'm assuming)
  • The ICO recommends that DPA SAR actions are brought in the small claims track of the County Court
  • The Defendant would probably consent to a small claims allocation, as it would cost them to appear/defend on the fast track (I'm surprised you've even gotten to the hearing stage, to be honest)

This should be your argument, noomill060 - not relying on other small claim actions, as there is no precedant in County Court cases due to the Judge's use of discretion.

I'll be interested to see how this goes, as I'm about to bring 2 actions against O2 for damages and specific performance for non-compliance. I may be asking for your case reference number, if I'm challenged on the same grounds - a thread for these case numbers would be a good resource for CAG to have stickied, if Judges aren't playing ball after this argument.

The other thing I'd say (if this doesn't work) is just to ask the Judge to assign it to the fast track - you don't have a chance of losing, but the other side will be forced to pay your costs when you win. Win-Win either way, I'd argue.

This complicated by the fact that the DCA has admitted liability, supplied part of the data requested and paid the damages claimed.

The data supplied consists of a list of times the DCA phoned me, some explanation of what was said by myself during these calls and a coded list of letters sent to me with no copies of these letters.

My SAR asks for all my personal data, including audio files, emails containing my personal data from and to their client.

They intend to use the judgement in Durant v FSA in their defence to avoid disclosure.

Judge reckons she cant hear the case in Small Claims and must hear it in fast track, putting me at risk of potential costs for simply enforcing DPA rights.

Look at s15, which expressly gives county court jurisdiction. i'll have a look in my procedure manual, and get back to you.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

The judge told me that she would transfer the case to fast track

"unless I could supply her with evidence that such cases had in fact been dealt with in Small Claims previously"

I know that this is an unusual request for a judge to make given the law involved. I cant help but suspecting that the judge may be less than sympathetic.

The case was incorrectly described as "Unfair bank charges" on the court notice board and the court clerk asked if she could borrow my claim form and partics of claim to photocopy as they had lost the one I sent them!

You might get a different Judge next time, so the outcome may be different - this is the problem with discretion, in that the can allocate to which ever track they fancy regardless of what you say. (Unusual they even ask)

The conclusion I've come to is that claims under s7-14 can be brought in any track. This is, therefore, at the discretion of the judge.

since they have already paid you damages, in effect this is now a non-monetary claim

bluntly, since they are defending on durant, i think the case will be complicated enough that the court probably should hear the case in the fast track. However, it's not a case of the law requiring hearing in a particular track, merely the assessment of the complexity of law, fact and judicial involvement.

That's my take, but PMing bookie to have a look at the thread might be a very good idea.

Halsbury's Laws of England/PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE (VOLUME 37 (REISSUE))/9. CASE MANAGEMENT/(2)

THE PRELIMINARY STAGE OF CASE MANAGEMENT/470. General rule for allocation.

470. General rule for allocation.

In considering whether to allocate a claim to the normal track for that claim

, the court will have regard to the following

matters
:

(1) the financial value, if any, of the claim
;

(2) the nature of the remedy sought

;

(3) the likely complexity of the facts, law or evidence
;

(4) the number of parties or likely parties
;

(5) the value of any counterclaim
or other P art 20 claim
and the complexity of any matters relating to it
;

(6) the amount of oral evidence which may be required
;

(7) the importance of the claim to persons who are not part ies to the proceedings
;

(8) the views expressed by the parties
; and

(9) the circumstances of the parties

The court will allocate a claim which has no financial value to the track which it considers most suitable having regard to the

matters set out above

The court will not allocate proceedings to a track if the financial value of the claim, assessed by the court
, exceeds the limit

for that track unless all the parties consent to the allocation of the claim to that track
. Where two or more claimants
have

started a claim against the same defendant using the same claim form and each claimant has a claim against the defendant

separate from the other claimants, the court will consider the claim of each claimant separately when it assesses financial

value

The court will not allocate a claim to the small claims track if it includes a claim by a tenant of residential premises against

his landlord for a remedy in respect of harassment or unlawful eviction

Ie under CPR 26.6: see paras 467-469 ante.

CPR 26.7(1).

CPR 26.8(1)(a). As to calculating the value of the claim see para 301 note 5 ante.

CPR 26.8(1)(b).

CPR 26.8(1)©. As to evidence see further para 951 et seq post.

CPR 26.8(1)(d). As to parties see para 251 et seq ante.

For the meaning of 'counterclaim' see para 684 note 1 post.

For the meaning of 'Part 20 claim' see para 684 post.

CPR 26.8(1)(e). Where the case involves more than one money claim (eg where there is a Part 20 claim or there is more than one claimant each

making separate claims) the court will not generally aggregate the claims. Instead it will generally regard the largest of them as determining the

financial value of the claims:
Practice Direction--Case Management--Preliminary Stage: Allocation and Re-allocation
(2000) PD 26 para 7.7.

Page 278 of 978

LexisNexis® Butterworths:*Sign In
... 11/7/2007

CPR 26.8(1)(f).

CPR 26.8(1)(g).

CPR 26.8(1)(h). The court will treat these views as an important factor, but the allocation decision is one for the court, to be taken in the light

of all the circumstances, and the court will not be bound by any agreement or common view of the parties:
Practice Direction--Case Management--

Preliminary Stage: Allocation and Re-allocation
(2000) PD 26 para 7.5. As to the obligation on the parties to consult see para 463 note 19 ante.

CPR 26.8(1)(i).

CPR 26.7(2).

Ie under CPR 26.8(2): see note 16 infra.

CPR 26.7(3). It is for the court to assess the financial value of a claim and in doing so it will disregard any amount not in dispute, any claim

for interest, costs and any contributory negligence: CPR 26.8(2). For the principles applied by the court in determining whether an amount is in

dispute see
Practice Direction--Case Management--Preliminary Stage: Allocation and Re-allocation
(2000) PD 26 para 7.4.

For the meaning of 'claimant' see para 15 ante.

For the meaning of 'defendant' see para 15 ante.

CPR 26.7(4).

See para 467 the text and note 10 ante.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Thanks for that TT.

This is why is was happy to have it adjourned. I made an official complaint to the ICO at the same time as I started my claim and wrote to the ICO letting them know the current situation and Im expecting a response to my complaint this month.

I'll chase them up tommorow.