Virgin Media Offers - Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Called Virgin Media two days ago to negotiate a new deal. Had xl tv in 2 rooms, 2Mb broadband, and home phone. Paying over £65 per month. Wanted to get rid of tv altogether as too expensive, and increase broadband to next package up. Had seen offer on their website for 4Mb broadband at half price. Asked if they could match the offer, or thereabouts. Nice virginmedia lady said that she could not - offer only for new customers. Pointed out to her that since I was well out of my 12 months commitment (ie had been out of it for well over another year) I could just cancel and then open up a new broadband account as I wasn't too fussed about keeping the tv anyway, and then get the "new customer" offer. Nice virginlady said that we cannot do that as I have to wait 3 months after cancelling to open an account back up with them. In the end, I got a nice deal anyway, which I am happy with.

My question, however, is: can virginmedia stop you from opening another account with themselves for 3 months after cancelling? Is there any consumer law against this? Obviously, I understand why you cannot just cancel if you are within your commitment. But if you are outwith your commitment, and therefore free to do whatever you want, can virginmedia put a restraint on you in this way?

When we questioned this with someone else we were told that you would be a returning customer not a new customer !!!

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)

"How do I...?" A Dummies' Guide to this Forum

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

Please Donate if you can - help CAG help others

I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.

Hmm... I wouldn't have thought they would be allowed to do that. Also, it doesn't say anywhere on the website that it's just for new customers. And I'm not a "returning" customer - surely there's no such thing!

They are free to do as they wish on this, as they do not have to do business with you, the same as you don't have to do business with them. Most of these offers are for new customers only, though if your out of contract they will normally offer something worthwhile to keep you on a new contract term.

Standard advice ring retentions, if they won't budge take it higher.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Hey folks, thanks for helping!

Yeah, I did ring retentions and when they said I couldn't have that offer I told them I couldn't then afford to upgrade my internet and keep the tv in two rooms so just to come and take the tv service out altogether. Then, she said she had a good offer for me and cut me down to nearly half price anyway