Cyberology V Inter-Credit International

Cyberology

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Back in September of this year I was sent a letter from Inter-Credit, completely out of the blue, claiming that I owed over a grand to Three Valleys Water and that I should pay up immediately.

Now I know that my current residence is supplied by Thames Water, and I'm not in arrears with any of my bills, so I was pretty suspious about the letter- I'm not going to arrange to pay that much money to complete strangers! So firstly I checked out the company via the internet to be sure they were genuine (which is how I came across this wonderful forum!) and then I delved into my financial records to find out when I'd dealt with Three Valleys Water, as Inter-Credit's letter gave no details at all regarding the debt's age or the address it was associated with.

I've rented all my adult life and as a consequence I've moved around a fair bit, but from my records I assertained that I'd been paying water rates to Three Valleys at a shared house for a couple of years prior to having to move out in March 2001.

Although I was certain that my rates to Three Valleys up to the date of leaving that particular address had been paid, I foolishly thought that this debt must be over six years old, and so responded to Inter-Credit with the 'Dispute your liability for a debt where a creditor has not contacted you for over six years' letter, sent by Recorded Delivery on the 25th September. On the same day I recieved a second letter from Inter-Credit, asking for full payment withing 72 hours and threatening to institute legal proceedings if I failed to do so.

On Friday 19th October I recieved a third letter from Inter-Credit, responding to my letter to them.Scans of the contents can be seen at the URLs below;

http://www.natsan.co.uk/images/intercreditletter191007page.jpg

http://www.natsan.co.uk/images/intercreditletter191007pg2.jpg

No copies of the outstanding bills mentioned on the first page of the letter were enclosed.

I'm happy to make arrangements to pay debts I genuinely owe, but I contacted Three Valleys by phone all those years ago to inform them of the fact that I was leaving that address. I also do not like the insinuation that I move properties to escape debts- why would I pay out several hundred pounds in moving costs/rental deposits to escape debts that did not exist at the time of my departure?

Tomorrow I will be making an appointment at my local CAB office to get some advice on this situation, but I would also be very appreciative of any advice people may have for me here.

Thank you so much in advance!

Try this and make them prove you are liable for this debt.

Edit as needed.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Thank you so much,Curlyben, for your help. I'll post the letter out forthwith. If it at least gets them off my back whilst I get some legal help I will be most happy.

I'll certainly report back with any further developments.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Well I've recieved another letter from Inter-Credit;

http://www.natsan.co.uk/mages/intercreditletter151107.jpg

As you can see, rather than them proving I am the debtor as requested, they want me to prove that I am not.

The period they want me to prove starts the month after I moved out of the property, so they've obviously checked the records and could see it was all paid up until that time. I can offer them a copy of my tenancy agreement for the flat I moved into as proof that I was no longer resident at the address associated with the debt, dating from the start of the period mentioned in the letter. Will this be enough? And I don't know why my name was still down as the bill payer, seeing as I'd informed Three Valleys of my vacancy from the property.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

It is NOT up to you to prove that this debt isn't valid but them to prove it is.

Right throw this at them as they are on a phishing trip.

Formal Complaint

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your letter of xx/xx/xx, the contents of which are noted.

With reference to my previous letter,I wish to draw you attention to your company's lack of compliance with my reasonable request. I enclose a copy for your perusal and ease of reference.

Your continued pursuit of the alleged debt in this manner contravenes the OFT collection guidelines, namely;

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.8b sending demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that

they are the debtor in question,

AND

2.8j requiring an individual to supply information to prove they are not the

debtor in question, for example, driving licences, passports, full name,

date of birth, signatures.

As you clearly cannot prove that this alleged debt in anyway relates to me, I wish to register a formal complaint about your company's business practices.

I require a copy of your internal complaints procedure within 14 days and I reserve the right to escalate this matter to the appropriate regulatory authorities as I see fit.

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you would prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I await your rapid response.

Yours Faithfully

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too