• Tweets

• I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
    • I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

BT make a hash of moving house

loz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm currently on hold (again!) to B(ombay)T(elecom) and thought I'd post here while i'm waiting...

I'm due to move house tomorrow - not far, up 2 flights of stairs - so last Friday I called BT (from work) to ask for a move. "Next weekend", I said. The lass suggested doing it on the Friday, to make sure it was done on time, which I said was OK. I later realised that by moving house they tie you in to a minimum further 12 months, and that I would not be able to change provider and get my phone cheaper, so when I got home I decided to call my ISP about their phone service... and found that BT had disconnected me a week early. >:-(

I spent an hour on my mobile trying to find out WTF had happened and eventually was given an apology and told that I would be reconnected ASAP. Did it happen? I had to call again on Tuesday and explain the whole thing again, and ask them to reconnect me... and now I am having to call yet again.

I told them to cancel the order because they've made such an arse of the whole thing, they can stick it if they try this "12 month" condition. What I now want to do is transfer the phone to my ISP and then get them to move the line to the new flat, same number and all. If BT hadn't been so useless this could be in progress already, it's so annoying!

Rant over.

Loz

I hate Alliance + Leicester

BT: No longer a customer :)

HSBC: £1222 refunded 28/5/06; Second claim of £737-24 refunded 9/11/06; PPI + interest on personal loan refunded 27/7/08

MBNA: £100 refunded on first claim of £112; £208 refunded on second claim for £108 24/9/07; PPI £256-28 refunded 8/4/08

NatWest: £1581-71 refunded 16/12/06; personal loan CCA agreement not provided

Aye I realised that, that's why I asked them to cancel the order. They still haven't reconnected me though - 8 days now!! >:-(

HSBC: £1222 refunded 28/5/06; Second claim of £737-24 refunded 9/11/06; PPI + interest on personal loan refunded 27/7/08

MBNA: £100 refunded on first claim of £112; £208 refunded on second claim for £108 24/9/07; PPI £256-28 refunded 8/4/08

Sent to BT today:

Thank you for informing me that my account had been closed - I have made at least half a dozen phonecalls to BT over the past 10 days and nobody told me that. This despite me repeatedly explaining that I had been disconnected a week early for a "moving house" order, and asking to be reconnected. On each occasion BT staff have apologised and promised that I would be reconnected within 24/48 hours, but nothing has been done and the line remains disconnected. In the meantime I had reason to cancel the move order but was initially told I could not do this because I had not cancelled before 12th October - ie. before I placed the order in the first place! Furthermore a supervisor promised to listen to a recording of the original call so she could work out what went wrong; again I was promised an update and again I have not been contacted by BT.

I am quite dissatisfied with this whole episode and would like to give BT a final chance to resolve it to my satisfaction. Please considercarefully the following two scenarios, either of which being implemented would restore my faith a little:

1) BT restores the line (0191xxxxxxx) and account to its exact status before all this happened - ie. connected to xxxxxxxx.

2) BT carries out my original request and connects the line (0191xxxxxxx) to yyyyyyyy.

These two alternative outcomes are the only ways that I will be in any way satisfied with what has happened here. In either case let me make it clear that I do not expect to be charged reconnection fees, nor do I expect to be tied to a minimum contract duration. I believe that after the mess BT has made of this I am justified in making these requests.

Finally I will require information regarding how to claim compensation for the inconvenience this has caused, plus the money I have spent by having to use a mobile phone to call BT.

I hope this is clear and a resolution can be reached as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Loz

I am rather annoyed by this. At the risk of sounding xenophobic, I wish BT would employ people who speak English properly, then there might not have been a misunderstanding in the first place...

Nothing to do with Xenophobia. They've gone for bargain-basement customer care. You can complaint about this but only when it affect their bottom line (like RBS/NatWest) who retain UK call centres, will they take notice.

One of my calls was put through to somewhere in Ulster by the sound of their accents - they were the ones I got most sense out of. Though sadly no results.

Loz

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get BT to do anything at all? In the past three and a half weeks since they closed my account (despite me not asking them to do that), they have firstly not admitted that the account had been closed, until a cheque was in the post to refund the balance; secondly completely ignored my repeated requests to reconnect the line, to either my old address or the new one; thirdly ignored my written complaints regarding their abysmal customer service. How do I get them to do anything when they are ignoring me at every turn? Can the regulator do anything at this stage?

I've had no phone for that time, and no internet for two and a half weeks because my ISP don't have a working line to connect me to. I've spent £10-odd on my mobile to their 0800 number trying to sort it out (the rest of the calls were from work) and they won't even tell me how to claim that back from them.

All I want is the line returned to the same status as before they pulled the plug...

Increasingly frustrated Loz

A complaint to OTELO won;t really achieve much - but persevering with BT and if the person you cannot speak with assist ask to be transferred to someone who can. No point paying from a mobile, use a payphone for free. You initial issue is the removal of service in advance of the due date - since they are normally pretty good at this, and explanation for this should be forthcoming.

There isn't an inside track you can jump to - unless you write to Mr Ben (MD) at BT's Newgate Street HQ - this usually works.

Try the BBC Watchdog website. There is a section specially for BT problems and a link to a BT complaints email. I used it due to issues i have with having a new service connected and did get a response from someone in Scotland within 24 hours, and a further 2 calls from them over the next 2 days for more information. Have to say i'm still waiting for it to be resolved as 'its now been passed to BT openreach' - engineering company that is now separate to BT.

In the meantime the Indian call centre has rung me twice trying to book in my new service being connected!!! - Very difficult trying to get them to understand NO i dont want to book it in .....so you want to cancel then?.....NOOO I've complained put it on hold arghh!!!

Anyway give it a try you might get somewhere (other than India!!)

Thanks for that, though I couldn't find anything on Watchdog's site other than the link to BT.com | Contact BT - will try that.

Loz

A day short of five weeks after they disconnected my phone, BT have finally responded to my complaints. Just spoke with Neil from the high level complaints team who seemed quite baffled by his colleagues' incompetence and promised to get me connected asap.

I'm still intending to switch to a different company once this is sorted - first things first though, I want a working line and I want them to repay me £7-55 for calls I had to make on my mobile and £17-99 for the internet I've been unable to use.

With crossed fingers,

Loz

BT are a joke. How they are allowed to operate this monopoly in this country is beyond me.

Oh, no it isn't - it's 'cos we had a government who loved them, and now we have one with no spine.

I have recently had similar dealings - count yourself lucky you actually had a reply to your complaint - mine was (and is still is) ignored.

I couldn't even get through to give them money - or use their 'on-line payment method' as it was constantly down for 'maintenence'. They cut me off in the end, despite trying for weeks to get through to them to pay - all this after they claimed they sent me a bill that I did not receive.

Then the fun and games started, just trying to get reconnected, but then you know the story there as it's pretty much the same as yours.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

IMHO they are too busy trying to sell everyone broadband and TV, to the detriment of the bread & butter stuff. I may only pay £11 a month line rental and make almost zero calls, but unless they can provide that then I can't get their fancy products can i? :-S

Progress! The line was connected on Monday, albeit with a different number. This Neil gadgie is trying to get my old number back... Once that's resolved I can sort my ISP out

Loz

Well done Loz - two months after I made my compalint to BT, i am still waiting for them to reply to my complaint.

I've now spent 37 hours trying to get it resolved - that's right, 37 HOURS and still nothing.

They really are a joke.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I consider myself lucky in that case. Sounds like lots of people have serious issues with BT - hope you get a resolution soon :-/

• 2 weeks later...

What do we have here from BT..? The first bill for my "new line" - I love the way they make you pay for the service in advance... not. In addition to the line rental there is of course their lovely "payment processing fee" of £4-50 and the new "1571 low use charge" of £3-00 - they are asking me to pay up front and if I use the service enough I get my £3-00 back?!? Get lost BT.

I'm not paying the bill (yet) anyway. I'm going to ask my ISP to take over the line, so BT will have to close the account and send me a final bill. They try any of their "12 month minimum contract" stuff and they can swivel on it - it was not mentioned to me when I was reconnected and in any case they made such a balls-up of this whole thing... Then we move on to what I feel they owe me, such as the cost of calls from my mobile, being unable to use the broadband I am paying for... how about the simple inconvenience of having to tell lots of people that I had to change my number..?

Still up for an argument,

Loz

• 2 months later...

Hopefully this is the last time I will have to post here... :rolleyes:

I added up the phonecalls I had made to get reconnected, the amount I had been paying my ISP whilst unable to use their service because of BT, and added £4-50 "payment processing fee" because their refund had been sent by cheque:p - and deducted the total for my bill, paying the remainder and sending a letter explaining exactly why. Letter ignored, threat of disconnection unless I pay. I wrote again, my line was restricted, then the next bill arrives, the cheeky *&%s!

I paid £25 of it to show "good will" and then emailed them again using the same link as last time - got a call from BT the next day apologising for them not responding and furthermore wiping my bill to zero. Result!

If anybody is having trouble getting BT to do anything, I recommend sending them a mail via this link, it's got their attention twice for me now:

BT.com | Support & advice | Support and advice section hub page

TTFN,

Loz

• 2 weeks later...

Silly me to think that I'd made my last complaint to BT - the replacement bill arrived and although I had been credited as promised, for some reason they have added a one-off charge of £23-50 apparently for "temporary out of service", dated today (10 days after the bill was issued!) - what on earth does this mean and how can BT look into the future to add a random item to my bill?

Awaiting their response. Again. :mad:

Certain. My bill is larger after my initial complaint than it was before, and that is why. Berks.

I really feel for you, we have moved with BT 6 times and each time they have made a hash of it.

It took us 6 months to get a refund this time and the only thing that worked was a slow letter of complaint

Each time we moved they A. set us up as new customers so we had a contract extended etach time and B. didnt cancel the old address and charged us for both.

This weeks mess is them setting up a direct debit without our permission, but oh yes we set this up on the 8th feb! oh no we didnt , oh yes you did

So bank charge of £38 will be claimed from BT

I got through to direct debits, wrong dept, re rang got billing wrong department who put me back to Direct debit enough said

they are one of the most frustrating companies to deal with

Sounds like you have had it far worse than me Summer. BT have to have the worst customer service I have ever come across (apart from the banks), and nothing is being done about them. It's all well and good having "competition" in the market but when the other providers have to rely on BT letting them use their network... it's pretty much still a monopoly IMHO and BT exploit that :(

when the other providers have to rely on BT letting them use their network... it's pretty much still a monopoly IMHO and BT exploit that

Not so - Virgin customers connected to the cable service require no BT infrastructure. So there's a ' duopoly'!