• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advice please re: HFC & Weightman's

squarepeg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone, just when i thought things were chugging along nicely up pops a court claim from Weightmans re a HFC debt.

Perhaps I should explain a little of the history behind it all. We currently have a DMP with Payplan, this has been in place for two years. HFC is just one of 8 creditors, we have paid our monthly amount to payplan on time every month, and they have distributed the relevant amounts to each of the creditors.

Earlier this year the HFC debt was taken over by Weightmans and we had letters to say they wanted to put a charge on our house, the matter was passed to Payplan to deal with and we heard no more - until yesterday - when this mail came from Northampton County Court. I have emailed our case worker at Payplan to ask what to do. the debt is made up of genuine debt but also late charges etc which i have not got around to claiming yet. I have told payplan that i intend to send a SAR to HFC for my statements to find out how many charges they have made.

Can anyone advise me further please on the following.

If I have entered into a DMP that HFC have agreed to how can weightmans take me to court.

Will the court make us pay the whole debt as weightmans are demanding (we don't have the money to do this).

Should I be requesting the CCA from HFC or should i be requesting it from Weightmans.

sorry to be asking so many questions, but we really thought that we were getting somewhere with our debts, but this is just starting all the stress again and at our age we don't need it, it already means that my husband will have to work until he is at least 67 (another 7 years) so that we can pay off our debts.

thanks for any help

SP

NatWest CLAIM

3.02.07 - S.A.R (Subject Access Request) sent to NatWest

06.02.07 - RM confirm S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) delivered

13.02.07 - Acknowledgement letter received from NatWest

14.02.07 - 6 years worth statements arrived

21.02.07 - prelim sent - 22.02.07 - RM confirm prelim delivered

09.03.07 - L.B.A. sent recorded delvery - 12.03.07. Rm confirm delivery

15.03.07 - Offer received (dated 07.03.07)

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

12.02.07 - S.A.R. sent recorded delivery

22.02.07 - recorded delivery still not delivered!

15.03.07 - first lot of statements received

17.03.07 - 40 envelopes received!!

If I have entered into a DMP that HFC have agreed to how can weightmans take me to court.

The debt can still be passed on to a DCA you can still be defaulted and county court action can still be taken even if you are in a DMP

Will the court make us pay the whole debt as weightmans are demanding (we don't have the money to do this).

You would get the chance to respond to the county court claim form you get through the post with an admission & offer of payment eg the same as they are getting on the DMP . If you admit you owe the money. You could look at defending or partly defending the claim also eg if charges involved.

If your offer of payment is rejected by the creditor then it's up to the court to decide what's 'reasonable' for you to pay. So can't give definite answer - I would certainly be pointing out that your other creditors are getting a share of your surplus and are happy with it though...

Should I be requesting the CCA from HFC or should i be requesting it from Weightmans.

Weightmans

Best of luck; keep us posted :)

Thanks Powell, for your reply

i have had an email from payplan today asking me to fill the forms from 1 - 5 and they will fill the rest, I will phone them in the morning and see what they say, my working hours have changed and my shift pattern means that my monthly pay fluctuates quite a bit, so i don't know what to put in the income section, and i certainly don't want my employer to find out the mess i'm in.

Sp

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

meant to ask as well -

where do i stand if weightmans can't produce the CCA?

thanks

SP

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

meant to ask as well -

where do i stand if weightmans can't produce the CCA?

thanks

SP

If they breach CCA you can stop paying them until they comply. You need to be aware that PayPlan aren't really set up to cope with this as they primarily provide a debt management service.

yes, I am aware that payplan can only deal with the debt side of it all.

thanks

SP

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

• 4 weeks later...

ok - need some urgent advice please.

I have had a notice from the court to say that weightmans have refused the amount proposed (i assume that Payplan entered weightmans share of the £170 per month that we pay them).

The court has ordered us to pay £160 per month to weightmans. we can't do that as well as pay payplan £170, so where do i go from here?

I am going to ring the court tomorrow and I have also asked our case officer to call me urgently.

this is really getting me down now.

SP

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

anyone? please?

I have come across a thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/118878-help-court-ccj-letter.html

and think i might just send that letter off to weightmans and see what happens, I haven't had the CCA from them, I mentioned it to our case worker, who hesitated a bit when i asked if weightmans had the CCA and he said Yes they did.

do you think that this letter is appropriate for my situation? also some of the debt is made up of charges does the CCJ stop me from claiming them back and what happens to the CCJ if i go ahead with the claim.

I think I need to get my butt in gear and get these CCA requests off to everyone concerned.

thanks

SP

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

It sounds as if there is already a CCJ on this account... in which case it overrides any non-compliance of a CCA request now.

You appear to have 2 options here.

1. Complete and submit form N245 to the court, in order to have the payments reduced to an affordable level.

2. Apply to have the CCJ set aside on the basis of either... unlawful charges having been applied to the account or due to non-compliance of a CCA request.

Set asides are not my thing... so you would need to someone else to advise on this.

Thanks PrioityOne, yes the CCJ is in place, i had notification yesterday but at a level we can't afford.

i will speak with the court and payplan tomorrow and see what they say

SP

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

I'm not sure how much use Payplan are in these situations, but the court should be able to advise you on the N245.

If the CCJ has only just been applied, then you may have grounds for a set aside.... but it needs to be discussed on here before you go to the court with it, so you know what you're doing, the liklihood of success, etc.

:)

i will know more tomorrow, i didn't send the forms to the court it was dealt with by payplan, so i don't even know how much they have declined. I must say that i am not happy with payplan at the moment - they assured me that the amount i needed to pay would not increase. and the court would take into account the fact that we have paid into the dmp for two years with no problems

I know that this CCJ is a step to having a charge put on the house which is what weightmans have been after all along.

sp

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

This is often the problem when you place your trust in DM companies :mad: ... You are better off taking the advice offered on this site and doing things yourself IMO.

If you want to look into getting a set aside.... PM tomterm8/rory32 to have a look at this thread and I will help you where I can...

:)

Hi Squarepeg. Follow Priorityone's advice and send a private message to the people she has suggested.

I am dealing with the same two companies and i get the feeling you do need to be on top of them. Best of luck with this.

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Thanks i will do that

SP

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

Ok, i have just etc spoken to the court who said that as i have admitted the amount owed i can't now claim the bank charges that are included in the debt, so i can't counter claim.

the lady said i need to write to the court asking for a reconsideration within 16 days. i explained that we were in a dmp and this debt has been part of the dmp for 2 years. she said it sounds like this has not been made clear and there 's been some sort of confusion!

does this mean i can't send the letter to weightmans asking for the CCA (as in pt2527 letter in this thread - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/118878-help-court-ccj-letter.html

I'm not very good at letters, so any help would be useful.

thanks

SP

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

Ok, i have just etc spoken to the court who said that as i have admitted the amount owed i can't now claim the bank charges that are included in the debt, so i can't counter claim.

the lady said i need to write to the court asking for a reconsideration within 16 days. i explained that we were in a dmp and this debt has been part of the dmp for 2 years. she said it sounds like this has not been made clear and there 's been some sort of confusion!

does this mean i can't send the letter to weightmans asking for the CCA (as in pt2527 letter in this thread - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/118878-help-court-ccj-letter.html

I'm not very good at letters, so any help would be useful.

thanks

SP

It sounds like you have admitted the debt at the county court stage. It will, therefore be difficult to get a set aside. I don't really have much experience with getting a set aside granted in these circumstances; I would suggest pming maybe rory32 or gizmo111 (site moderators) and sequenci to have a look at the thread.

In practice, I personally would strongly suggest sending a redetermination letter pointing to the DMP which you have been in for the last 2 years, the fact you suggested payments are within the recommended level by the debt management charity, and containing a statement of affairs etc. Sequenci is a good person to advise you one what works in such a letter.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

It could be difficult to obtain a set-aside but it could still be argued that you didn't know when you admitted the debt and now you are aware of the charges.

some creditors couldn't care less about DMPs (grrr) - You should write requesting a redetermination including info about the original judgment + why you want the redetermination + a supporting budget sheet to show your statement of affairs + other creditors.

• 3 months later...

summing up..

i got a re-determination, it's taken from november to now. first it was sent to the wrong court, i didn't find out about the court date until 5 days before, they had sent the new date to Payplan who had 'forgotten' to inform me, anyway, i couldn't get to court so I wrote a letter explaining, then i found that the judge had decided to transfer it to my local court and the new hearing was last week. I again wrote to the judge explaining that we were in DMP, hadn't missed payments, unfair advantage on other creditors etc - the result was that my court overturned the £160 that the first hearing asked for in favour of the amount that we have been paying all along - £16.11p.

So, really pleased with the outcome, although I think that Weightmans will now go for a charge on our property. I will make sure that the hearings come back to my local court and complain that we are being harassed. It might not do any good but at least my feelings will be made known.

SP

NatWest CLAIM

LLOYDS TSB CLAIM

They can't go for a charge on your property. if the court has accepted £16.11p as an installment order, then as long as you pay the £16.11 you are entirely safe (at least until the new court act comes into force)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.