Council tax - can they take my daughters car?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If it's your daughters car, put it in her name and then the bailiffs can't touch it.

What is the situation with the council tax - perhaps we can help?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

If the car is in your name and kept at your property and you are the "main driver" then it sounds like they may be able to yes. I'd get the car put into your daughters name as a matter of urgency.

On the council tax side, I'd be inclined to put an income/expenditure statement together clearly showing your income and outgoings and then send it to the council requesting help (you may be better off going in and asking to speak to someone there face-to-face even). If your mortgage is eating up so much of your available money, you also need to consider dramatically restructuring your debts. You are probably not in a situation where your credit history will remain spotless so I'd be inclined to suggest working out your priority debts (council tax, mortgage, utilities (not arrears though), etc) and then writing to all your other creditors and tell them (not ask) you are experiencing financial difficulties and need some time. There is a standard letter you can send asking for 28 days leeway while you seek professional advice.

Once you've done all that, speak to someone like CCCS or the CAB if you're not confident working it out with people here and work out some sort of manageable debt repayment plan.

You won't be the first to go through this - I worked through everything and had my house voluntarily repossessed about a year ago (I sent the keys to them before they demanded them) and am now renting and it is the BEST thing I ever did! I'm not saying you're at that stage but don't bury your head in the sand like I did and you will find there is a way out of this!

K1mmie.

If your name is on the insurance as the main driver, when your daughter is the main driver, then, as far as the insurance companies are concerned, it is insurance fraud.

Insurance companies are currently tightening up on this loop-hole.

Once you transfer the car to your daughter's name, then she will be regarded as the main driver.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

You need to get the insurance changed as soon as possible, as well.

This from Channel Four News....

Thousands of parents have unwittingly committed insurance fraud by insuring their child's car in their own name.

One in 10 parents and grandparents who have helped their child or grandchild buy a car currently have it insured in their name, with the child added to the policy as a named driver, according to Zurich Insurance.

Read the full article, here........

Channel 4 - News - Parents 'commit insurance fraud'

Be careful!

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

K1mmie.

If your name is on the insurance as the main driver, when your daughter is the main driver, then, as far as the insurance companies are concerned, it is insurance fraud.

Insurance companies are currently tightening up on this loop-hole.

Once you transfer the car to your daughter's name, then she will be regarded as the main driver.

We purchased the car for our daughter to have sole use of eventually as an 18th birthday present. In the meantime, we only have one vehicle and we are using it more than her (she gets it occassionally of a weekend or odd eve). That is why she is added on the insurance as an additional driver, and I am the main driver. So yes I can understand where there are several household vehicles involved and parents are doing this to reduce the cost, however this is not the case here. We are looking for another vehicle for us and once we have this, then yes she will become the main driver and therefore insurance in her name.