NHS shift pattens and breaks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We work a shift pattern that we voted on ourselves within our area of the NHS. We can do either short days or long days and of course nights.

The short days are 7.5 hours with a 15 minute 'concessionary' break (we voted against a 1/2 hour break in order to finish early, but we can opt out and take lunch if we want). The long days are 13.5 hours with 3 1/2 hour breaks (1 paid, 2 unpaid) and nights are 10.75 hours.

HR have now said we have got to look at changing the shifts because of the working time directive BUT we are all happy the way we are doing things. I do 3 long days a week because it suits me and I get 4 off.

Does anyone know if what we are doing is OK? I've looked at the WTD and it looks impractical for us, no way could we shorten our nights to 8 hours. And to get an 11 hour break between shifts would be complex....help....

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

As far as I'm aware you can "opt-out" of the working time rules but you always have the right to opt back in again at any time. Recently they've been doing away with that and we'll all be working to working time directive by 2009. I guess you should try submitting a grievance as a group and pointing out that it's in the interest of the patients that shifts stay the lengths that they are?

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not entirely sure. There are occupations that are excepted from the WTD but nurses aren't in this category (junior doctors are), it may well work out that nurses will be excepted but I don't think anyone knows what the script will be.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)