Possibly starting work, but need advice with credit card payments

basmic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In answer to your questions 1. Who do you bank with and how do you pay Halifax and Barclaycard. 2. Really yes you should and prepare a budget showing your income and expenditure (obviously wait until you get paid before doing this) and enclose the first payment with it if that's possible. National Debtline should be able to help you with this. 3. No they don't need to see wageslips.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Really you should tell them that you have started work but work out a realistic budget, this is known as a Statement of Account. There are lots of things you can include in your budget which you probably didn't do while on benefits. As I said though you should wait until you are paid, so you know exactly how much money you have coming in, before making any increase in your offer. You may find depending on your income and expenditure that it's not practical to increase payments, but you need to itemise everything in order to justify this.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Now I may be starting work soon (job is on the table), but I am worrying about my credit card payments.

My main niggling questions:

1. If I were to start work, would Halifax and Barclaycard be able to dip into my wages and take as they saw fit?
  2. Would I need to declare to Barclaycard or Halifax that I am starting work?
  3. Do either company need to see wageslips, or proof of earnings?

Now when I do start work, my number one priority is to take driving lessons - only once a week. My second priority would be to go swimming once or twice a week, to get my body in better shape - something I feel needs doing, for both my health and self esteem.

Why do you need to tell anybody anything so soon into your new situation..? If you have a plan in place that no-one is complaining about why give them the opportunity to start bitching and causing problems for you? It seems that you are already at the Status Quo with payments and everyone is happy...

You've had some good fortune... Keep it to yourself, even if for just a short time! Build up some cash reserves, save up for a treat..... Driving lessons are a valid outgoing...!!!

Think about yourself first!!!

Review the situation after, say, 3 months...:D

Good luck. Regards, Dave.

• Haha 1

I agree with Dave. After all, not being the angel of doom, what if the job didn't last long? I think you need a couple of months to take stock of the situation. If they are happy getting their payments give yourself some time.

Just as an aside, have you CCA'd them? After all, especially in the case of Barclaycard, they are very likely not to have a valid agreement to chase you for in the first place (Dave is the expert on this one:D)

• Haha 1

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Just as an aside, have you CCA'd them? After all, especially in the case of Barclaycard, they are very likely not to have a valid agreement to chase you for in the first place (Dave is the expert on this one:D)

Indeed!

Best, Dave..

:D

Sorry, but i'm going to be contraversial.... make that illegal

Why do you need to tell anybody anything so soon into your new situation..? because you have a legal obligation to do so If you have a plan in place that no-one is complaining about why give them the opportunity to start bitching and causing problems for you? It seems that you are already at the Status Quo with payments and everyone is happy...

You've had some good fortune... Keep it to yourself, even if for just a short time! Build up some cash reserves, save up for a treat..... Driving lessons are a valid outgoing...!!!

Think about yourself first!!!

Review the situation after, say, 3 months...:grin:

Good luck. Regards, Dave.

For the avoidance of doubt such action is not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group.

I don' think Dave was trying to suggest illegal behaviour. After all, as I said, what if the job doesn't work out? If Basmic has been unemployed for some time it is likely he (or she) will not be in a position to suddenly start increasing payments to these people. Chances are that there are unlawful charges included in the balances anyway. I don't think any of us are trying to advocate non-disclosure, but it sounds as if this is an informal arrangement, not an IVA or similar, and I know my creditors only ask for a three or six monthly review.

BANK CHARGES

Others

After all, as I said, what if the job doesn't work out? If Basmic has been unemployed for some time it is likely he (or she) will not be in a position to suddenly start increasing payments to these people.
That's why I advocated that the OP wait until they have been paid so that they know their income and do a Statement of Affairs so that they know whether they can offer more money or not.
Chances are that there are unlawful charges included in the balances anyway.
Then the OP needs to find out how much these equate to and claim them back. This issue is completely seperate from whether or not they should disclose a change in circumstances.

Goldlady you are rite about the job not working out. A friend of mine had sum debt and informed the debtors that she was starting work and she would incress the payments once she new more about her wages etc. 6 months after starting the job the company folded and the creditors got funny with her. She went back on benefits and they refused to accept the reduced pay offer even tho they had all the evidence to say the company folded and what her now income was they lost in court luckly.

Basmic what i would advise is keep the payments as they are for now. Do an income and expendature sheet but keep it for yourself and make sure you do one for every payment for the first few month, I would say up to 6 months, and make sure you include everything like housing costs, council tax,gas, electric, food, tv licence, any maintance costs and money you owe to family etc i mentioned sum of these as you dont have to pay for your housing or council tax on benefits as you automatically qualify for a rebate on these.

i say 6 months as sum months you may get more than others due to illness non paid days off etc.

If after 6 months you have a rough idea of what u get each month and what your expendature is offer more money a long as you can afford it.

• Haha 1

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Good news basmic - you will be able to start your job knowing that you are not doing anything wrong. Best of luck with it.:)

BANK CHARGES

Others

Ok, I've spoken to National Debtline.

Basically they told me to settle into the job first, and give it about 4-5 months. Then contact the companies, and make an offer of payment.

I was advised not to worry about paying out silly amounts, and to make sure I am 100% comfortable with medical/dental costs, travel costs, driving lessons (they class as a valid expenditure, he told me) - stuff like that.

Which is what I said in the first place.

National Debtline must be acting illegally too then??!

Good luck basmic.. :)

• Haha 1

well dave i dont thing the debt line would be allowed to give incorrect information out.

Basmic i would like to wish you good luck in your new job and good luck with getting your life back on track hope everything works out ok for you and please dont forget use at C.A.G when u are working as we will still need any advice u can give us. :)

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Perhaps illegal was a little strong without actually seeing the agreement. Although I would be most surprised if it didn't contain an obligation to inform of a change of circumstances. If it does contain such an obligation then a failure to disclose would amount to fraud under s.3 Fraud Act 2006

3 Fraud by failing to disclose information

A person is in breach of this section if he—

(a) dishonestly fails to disclose to another person information which he is

under a legal duty to disclose, and

(b) intends, by failing to disclose the information—

(i) to make a gain for himself or another, or

(ii) to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

(2) “Gain” and “loss”—

(a) extend only to gain or loss in money or other property;

(b) include any such gain or loss whether temporary or permanent;

• 3 weeks later...

I have never been asked for any proof basmic. However I think in my situation they would only have to look at my credit record and realise that no-one with a secret source of income would let themselves get into a situation with approx 10 defaults on their file:confused:. I guess they could ask for proof if they suspected you weren't being entirely truthful.

BANK CHARGES

Others

they can ask for proof, but until they have a CCJ they can't actually require you to answer any questions they have. Once they have a CCJ, they can require you to go to court and answer certain questions...

Hope the job is going well:)

insidentally, if the credit agreement you have requires disclosure of changes of income, then you must disclose. This is actually the case with regard to most accounts, since it is in the ultra small print somewhere in the middle of the 50 page booklet... However, unless you've actually read the T&C, perhapse you weren't aware of such a requirement:)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

just tell them u have no proff yet and will forward it to them when u have it. Any way what would they need proof of? how much u pay for ur gas and electric? that can varie week by week so how can u say it is rite?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks