HELP! Student Loans Company/ CapQuest - now BCW

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HELP!

I've just recieved a big red letter saying they want £1400 out of me. I phoned them and they have put it on hold for the weekend to allow me to raise the funds from friends and family. Basically I don't have the cash and I'm not willing to involve family in it and definitely not friends. Do I have ANY options open to me at all? I asked if I could make payments and they said they were seeking the full amount :(

Thanks.

Edited by knoxvillain

[COLOR=blue][B]Defaultless since 2012 :)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=green][/COLOR]

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What they want and what they get are 2 different things. If you accept that you owe the money ie no dispute etc then draw up a budget sheet ( good one linked below ) and work out what you can afford to offer after essential bills etc are covered. This assumes that the SLC debt is your only one? If it isn't you can consider pro rata offers to any other 'non priority' creditors as well ( unsecured loans credit cards store cards etc etc ).

CapQuest are a debt collection agency not bailiffs so have no powers to enter property & take goods. How old is this loan? When did you last make a payment or acknowlddge iut in writing ( deferring would count )?

National Debtline England & Wales | Personal Budget Sheet

Well basically I'm not in a position where I can't afford to pay my other debts, it's just I don't happen to have £1400 kicking around waiting to pay stuff on and CapQuest think a weekend to scrounge off family and friends is enough. I can pay the debt off just not in one go. They have already declined an offer to pay it back in installments saying they will put the account on hold until monday so I can find the cash and then on Mon they want £1400.

I think my plan of action seems to be requesting a deed of assignment from them and a certified copy of the CCA and I will also repeat my offer to start making payments and I will inform them that they can take court action if they want but given that I'm offering to pay it back in installments all the court will do is agree with me.

I've never applied to defer the loan although there was 2 occasions a few years ago when i did request a deferment form but never sent it back in. The debt is from 1997.

If it's from 1997, it falls under the old style rules so i would certainly send a CCA request.

If they want the money in one go - TOUGH! Don't stress yourself trying to get the money together in one go - as powell said, you can send them an expenditure sheet and make them a reasonable offer based on this.

However, if they default on the CCA request after 12+ working days, you can withold payment until they do supply you with one. If they took you to court without one, non-complaince with a CCA request is a defence.

I would also write the telephone harrassment letter, if they do phone simply say "in writing only, please" and then hang up.

They're just trying to intimidate and bully you - don't let them.

They are also breaking all sorts of OFT guidelines here, so i would also report them for their breaches.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

yeah, I did try to explain to him that this was the first I have heard about it but he said it was my fault and it's my responsibility to let my creditors know about address changes and that there was nothing he could do but take £1400 from me.

And yeah, all my student loans fall under the "old rules" I believe. I had another 2, 1998 and 1999.

This argument has been tried before - it's absolute bowlarks. Why would you pay £1400 to someone you've never heard of for a debt which could even be statute barred - when did yo last make a payment/try to defer?

I'm sure 98 will fall under the old rules, but not sure about 99. I'd send CCA anyway.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

And yeah, all my student loans fall under the "old rules" I believe. I had another 2, 1998 and 1999.

I believe the rules changed in September 1998. See National Debtline Factsheet 23 for this (this is the basic one for Scottish debtors).

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

yeah but if I remember right it was based on when you started university, not when the loan was taken out. Because I started in 97 I wasn't subject to the new rules.

Tiglet - I've never actually applied to defer, only requested the form to do so, this would probably have been a couple of years ago. I guess in a way thats acknowledging the debt though?

Did you put anything in writing?

If not - no payments made, nothing in writing, old-style student loans = statute barred.

I'd fire off the statute barred letter and see what they come back with - I certainly wouldn't speak to them on the phone.

They probably know the debt is statute barred and so are pressuring you to pay before you realised it was.

Thats a good point, I think the twice I requested it would have been over the phone so I doubt very much I wrote them a letter. So you think I should go down the statute barred road before the CCA or should I try both together?

The **** phoned me yesterday and started giving me attitude on the phone so I hung up on him.

PS is there a template for statute barred letters?

I'd just go for statute barred - it's up to them to prove it's not, not for you to prove it is.

Templates are here: Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner

The one you want is letter M.

I think it would be worthwhile sending the telephone harrassment letter too.

The only problem is I have 3 student loans and I think during the past 6 years I have made a payment to one of them but I'm not sure which so i want to be cautious about the statute barred in case capquest come back with proof that I did make a payment. I want to have a backup plan if you know what I mean ;)

Powelll thanks for the link, it was helpful :)

If you send the statute barred letter off and then they prove one isn't, then you can look at the CCA route.

If you're not sure which one it was, i would personally send the letter for the whole account and then see what they some back with.

The onus is on them to prove it's not statute barred, not for you to prove it is.

sweet will give it a shot, just want to try and avoid having a court summons land on my door if possible, would rather resolve it in some manner before it gets to that.

Indeed - but they would have to prove to a court it was not statute barred and it wouldn't look good for them if they hadn't already provided that proof to you in order to resolve this.

The fact they are demanding immediate payment, not prepared to accept payment terms etc. sounds to me taht they know it is statute barred, or nearly so, and are trying to get you to pay before you can think about it.

Just wait and see what their response is and don't forget to send recorded or special delivery so that you can prove they have received it.

sweet, I was worried that it wasn't sb but the debt is 10 years old so even if I did make 1 payment there is a good chance that 5 years (I'm in Scotland) passed either before or after that payment.