Abbey want overdraft back

IR2365
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,haven't posted for a while,went down the FOS route against Abbey and as we all know am now in limbo until the bank robbery case is heard :roll:

Abbey are due me nearly £6,000 in charges,and before the test case reared its ugly head seemed to be approaching things quite reasonably.

However since the stay they have been applying charges like they are going out of fashion :evil: and now out of the blue they want their overdraft back.

The overdraft is £2,000 and I can't afford to pay it all back until my bank charges are returned.If I don't pay it back they will continue to charge my account accordingly.

I have opened a parachute account,but haven't used it yet.

I am considering using the parachute account as my main bank account,otherwise the Abbey are going to ruin me :Cry:

Based on this then do you think I can tell them the account is in dispute and to stop charging me?

Hi, they should already have done this, send them a letter and refer to your outstanding case and re iterate that the account is in dispute, I would offer to repay them only what you can comfortably afford to each month as a gesture of goodwill, start using the parachute account immediately, if they start getting nasty, post on here again and we will advise you further.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hello I don't know if this will help you but it might. I like many of you was struggling to pay back bank charges and it was causing me to be up to my overdraft limit every month. I was struggling to pay bills on time and getting more charges because my salary was being eaten up as soon as it was paid in. I phoned a debt charity organization who told me that I should move my salary to a new account immediately so that I could be back in control of my money. My overdraft with shabbey would remain there but I should make over the counter payments each month of what I could reasonably afford. I was told not to set up a standing order or any other automated payment but to pay it in manually. It isn't ideal but they cannot refuse a payment if you show willing to pay. I guess this would only be helpful if you have a salary being paid into your bank but if you are on benefits then I'm not sure. I hope this is of some help.

:-|

Hi,been away for weekend, thanks for advice. I have been spending time today transferring all my dd's to new account and organizing wages etc to go in as well. I have had a look at the account in dispute letter and was wondering if there was another one as it refers to defaults etc,or is it just a case of modifying this one?

Looking forward to having money without it being swallowed up by greedy banks

;)

PS.is it time to go back to keeping money stuffed in the mattress?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,update time,have been using my parachute account now since October

Abbey are so switched on that they sent me new cards for their account even when no payments have been made into it:rolleyes:

They have withdrawn the overdraft and are charging interest and fees on the balance. I did send the account in dispute letters but am wondering if they went astray during the postal strike?

Their latest letter asked for the return of all cards and cheque books,however i have destroyed everything and will send in the declaration to that effect.They also want the balance repaid within 28 days or a default will be registered with a CRA,i will enclose both letters again with the declaration and wait to see what they do next :(

Hi

In January 2003, Abbey withdrew my £3,600 overdraft facility. I contacted them to state that I could not afford to repay the overdraft with immediate effect as they required. My immediate reaction was to open another bank account, but as my financial circumstances had changed and I had other creditors harrassing me on the telephone at home and at work, I did not feel I needed another aggressor added to the list. I negotiated a monthly amount of £250 and they reinstated my overdraft reducing it by my monthly payments. MOH thought it was the worse cause of action as we were losing our O/D facility but as we were already maxed out, all we were losing was £250 pm and at the end of it we gained £250pm. The drawback was we had to surrender all our cards and our cheque book, but I was able to get counter cheques free of charge. We paid off the overdraft in a year which was liberating and I now have an electron card. The thing with overdrafts are that once you're maxed out all you have is an overdraft. I am no reclaiming approx. £6k.

I could afford to pay £250, but you should only offer them what you can afford.

I have a 2nd account with Abbey that went overdrawn by £5 and cost me £175, I refused to pay the last £100 and Abbey has ignored and Abbey has ignored any reclaim correspondence relating to this account. They have written to inform me that they will take me to court, so I contacted them to inform them to start the process, because I intend to have my day. It amazes me that my case for my 1st account has been stayed but the banks can continue. Still waiting to for they're next move.

;)

acc #

overdrawn balance

overdraft limit

This letter will serve to provide you with notice of our intention to register default information with Credit Reference Agencies to which we subscribe, in respect of the above account number. Default information will be registered 28 days from the date of this letter, and may be used by other lenders in assessing application for credit made by you and members of your household.

The role of the credit reference agency is to make it possible for lenders to quickly make accurate and responsible lending decisions. Credit reference agencies do this by holding details of your credit histories, which lenders then use to help them decide whether or not to accept applications for credit from customers.

:( Standard letter received today,what is the matter with these people,don't they talk to each other,or is it just sheer bloody mindedness, because all our claims are suspended

the same should apply to the banks. I'm tempted to phone them and point out the fact I've sent them two letters (will be four now) stating that the account is in dispute :mad:

Does anyone have an email address for these cretins? I've tried everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Same has happened to the people i am helping... on asking for charges to be returned they paid a nominal amount in to the account, which clear O/D initially till the bank started adding more charges to account, then they asked for the O/D back.

The money that we are still requesting will payback the O/D and then some.... but the O/D is made up of charges, it went to court was 'stayed' tried to have that removed to no avail, now awaiting OFT trial.

However now have the 5th DCA threatening to take this account to court on behalf of Abbey.

• 2 months later...

New letter from another DCA arrived today. This time it's Equidebt Limited :mad:

Gave them a quick call ( I Know) ,explained about account being in dispute

etc, the guy was very nice and asked for a copy of the original letter sent to Abbey,will also enclose Lula's account in dispute letter for DCA's and hopefully that will be the end of the matter with them.:)

The Abbey on the other hand seemingly cant understand as this is the third time they have passed this account on for collection :mad:

they will probably keep farming it out, my advice would be to keep sending the letter, and to keep an eye on any charges that they put onto your account and when the judgement finally comes in, if it is more than £65, file a N244 to amend the amount and carry on from there.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed