ive had a summons for tv licence

mummyto three

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there - can you give more detail please?

i.e. when and how did you set up the direct debit - did you speak to someone at TV Licensing? - you posted this question on 20th September when you said you were paying by card at Post Office, have you set the DD up since then?

Regards Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I suggest you ring the department you set up the DD with and ask if you have the correct number for the other dept if not they need to put you through to someone who can help- explain about the court date and don't be fobbed off!! ask for a supervisor or manager and stress how important it is. You will need to do this first thing in the morning and get them to contact the court to advise you have made arrangements to pay - ask them to confirm in writing that this has been done.

If you have access to a fax machine you could fax a letter to the court explaining you have already made a payment arrangement. You will need to quote the case number and your TV Licensing account no etc.

If you need any help with the letter just ask. Is the court anywhere near you or is it Northampton Bulk Centre?

Regards Ell-enn

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I'm sorry I don't know about your name appearing in the free paper - I know they don't publish that sort of thing where I live. Have you seen reports in your area?

You will really need to speak to TV Licensing first thing in the morning - they may be able to withdraw the case. If they obtain judgment by default (because you haven't replied to the summons, or appear in court) then this will stay on your credit record for 6 years. The only way to avoid this is to pay the whole balance within a month of the judgement.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but please let me know how you get on with the TVL in the morning.

Regards, Ell-enn

I can only speak form experience in my area but people who are prosecuted for no tv licence often appear in the Southern Evening Echo in the southampton area.

i would assume that it would depend upon your local press as to weather they print it or not

You will really need to speak to TV Licensing first thing in the morning - they may be able to withdraw the case. If they obtain judgment by default (because you haven't replied to the summons, or appear in court) then this will stay on your credit record for 6 years. The only way to avoid this is to pay the whole balance within a month of the judgement.

This will be dealt with in magistrates court, therefore it has nothing to do with credit record whatsoever.

This will be dealt with in magistrates court, therefore it has nothing to do with credit record whatsoever.

Maybe not, but is still enforcable in exactly the same way, so not to be taken lightly.

Also, the fine of up to £1000 is not to be scorned upon.

Mummyto three, you seem more concerned about publicity than the fine.

If i was you i would get to court at any cost and plead your case.

You might get away with an adjournment, or a fine as little as £40.

You will have had MANY opportunities to pay your licence before it got to this stage, so the courts wont just dismiss things, but they are approachable.

Good luck.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

I'm a bit confused and you have left it awfully late when you are due in court in the morning.

Did someone come to your home and caution you? You say you have been paying at the Post Office, did you tell the TV licence investigating officer this or did you start paying after you had been contacted/visited? Did you keep up with the payments - presumably you must have made an arrangement to pay by instalments. Also you say you set up a direct debit but didn't manage to speak to the right department. Did you set up the payment or not?

The case will be heard in the magistrates court and I suggest you make the effort to attend. It is likely you will be fined but it might not be so high if you show the court that you are paying/willing to pay.

I don't want to alarm you but if you don't show up, you could be fined £1000 and if you don't pay that, a warrant can be issued for your arrest.

This is not like a CCJ and you must take it seriously.

Just a thought - 9 am is VERY early for a court hearing (most start at 10 am). Is there any chance you could get to the court office by 9 am and pay what you owe before the case is heard?

Is there a chance you can update your situation?

I don't mean to sound harsh here but you posted asking for help. I think you may have left things a bit late but it may help others if you can let us know how you got on.