Anybody know about life after a thyroidectomy ?

PriorityOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know if people become more susceptible to infections, such as colds, throat/chest infections, etc after a thyroidectomy ?

I had one in 2003.... and despite having my meds. reduced from 150 mcg to 125 mcg because the former was felt to be too high... I seem to be feeling more tired than normal and picking up all kinds of lurgies. :(

I've been off work this week with some unexplained lurgy..., extreme tiredness, muscle aches, sore throat.... but no cold as such. Off to the GP on Monday methinks... :rolleyes:

You are very wise to visit your GP about this, because there are a number of possible causes of constant tiredness.

The ones that I know about, personally, are diabetes, anaemia, kidney failure and taking beta-blockers for heart problems.

A few simple tests should sort out what your particular problem is, but it is important that you don't let it go unchecked.

Hopefully, it will be nothing worse than anaemia. If it is, then iron tablets will make you feel a whole lot more alert, within a few days.

Good luck.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Thanks Rooster... :)

I have been checked for diabetes several times, with negative results.... so I doubt it's that.... and the only meds. I take are Thyroxine tablets.

I will go on Monday and have a chat about things.... more blood tests, no doubt. :rolleyes:

more blood tests, no doubt. :rolleyes:

Tell me about it.

Pathology at Sandwell General Hospital has got more of my blood than I've got.:D

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

it may be that you need to up your thyroxine or it could be that you had a viral illness and picked up another while you were still under the weather, they can drag on for a while. There a grotty virus going round here at the minute that lasts for weeks, muscle aches, neck/back ache, general worn out feeling a bit of a sniffle, my hubbie's had it for three weeks and I've had it for two. There always seem to be more bugs around this time of year whne the kids have gone back to school.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Does anyone know if people become more susceptible to infections, such as colds, throat/chest infections, etc after a thyroidectomy ?

I had one in 2003.... and despite having my meds. reduced from 150 mcg to 125 mcg because the former was felt to be too high... I seem to be feeling more tired than normal and picking up all kinds of lurgies. :(

I've been off work this week with some unexplained lurgy..., extreme tiredness, muscle aches, sore throat.... but no cold as such. Off to the GP on Monday methinks... :rolleyes:

did you have it removed or killed off by radioactive iodine? If your meds are too low tiredness can result.

Hi to both of you and thank you for the replies. :) .... I sometimes feel very alone with this condition....

Poppynurse.... those symptoms you describe are exactly what I've been going through. I went into town on Friday to pay some bills, etc... and was shattered when I came in.... Am feeling a little better today... but know that once I've stood up to do ironing, dinner and so on.... I'll be shattered again. :( I'm not looking forward to 'phoning in sick for another week... as they know I want to leave anyway. There's not much they can do about it though if I'm signed off.

PI Guy... I had it completely removed by surgery. There was no radioactive iodine involved at all. I was on Carbimazole for ages in a bid to control it (over-active), but felt terrible, was still getting palpitations and one of my eyes was bad. I couldn't stand it any longer, so opted for surgery some time later.

They then made it under-active in order to prep. me for surgery and I went around like a sloth for months beforehand. It was finally removed in 2003 and things started to stabilize after that.

I know people get different symptoms and some of the more common ones, I didn't have. The only ones I experienced were the extreme tiredness (when it was under-active), eye problems and heart palpitations (when it was over-active). My weight stayed the same and I had no goitre.

The tiredness that I'm experiencing now though seems strange and since the meds. were reduced in the Summer... I'm inclined to think it has something to do with that. I was surprised when told to reduce the dosage, as I felt fine... but thought it best do as I was told, so to speak.

:)

i suffer from an under active thyroid myself which was originally over active and I had radioactive Iodine treatment and that made it under active. My initial symptoms were weight loss, alopecia and paralysis of the limps but all that changed when I went under active. I am on 150mg thyroxine myself and it stable now. I have no other symptoms now and feel well all the time.

It's a horrible illness....

My initial symptoms were caused by a "Thyroid Storm"..... which raised my heart rate to 155 beats per minute. I had no other symptoms prior to this... so when I was admitted to hospital, they asked if I was on drugs... !:D It certainly helps to keep a sense of humour in such situations...

Personally, I felt a lot better on 150 mcg.... and will raise this point when I see the GP tomorrow.

Glad you are feeling better... :) ... it plays havoc with your life when you're not.

Hi P1,

Through experience with docs changing my meds and not feeling right when they have been changed, its a possiblity it is that, hope you don`t have the fight I had to get them changed back.

Hope you feel better soon.

Mamie

Hi Maimie... :)

I'm going to see the GP tomorrow. One of the problems is seeing a different GP every time... I definitely felt better on the increased dose, but you just assume these people know what they're on about...

I will update this thread if/when I get some feedback, although he/she will probably want blood tests before they do anything.

Hope you are well Maimie... :) .... great results on your other threads... :)

P1,

I have learned from thinking docs know better, when my angina was diagnosed I was put on all these different tablets for months I could not go out I felt so ill. threw them all away ( I know dont say it ) I was not well for a long time but better than when I was taking the tablets.

Then the nurse got me a doctor of my choice, he gave me tablets in small doses till I got the right dose.

The doctors before had gave me the wrong amount and to high a dose for my height and weight.

Yes keeping ok OH still finding it hard to cope.

What a result and both on the same day

My thoughts are with you:) Mamie

Apparently if your thyroid is not working properly, there's a chemical which is increased in your blood as it tries to make up the thyroxine naturally. If your medication is increased it brings the level of the chemical down, and that's what your blood test shows, according to my GP.

It takes a couple of months for the new dosage to take effect, and I think you're right, a blood test will be needed.

I have an under-active thyroid so I recognise your tiredness etc P1, and utter exhaustion after little exertion. Unfortunately I also have a pretty bad weight problem and always feel people just think I'm lazy and fat, and my medical condition is an excuse for that. They probably don't really, especially people who know me, but it is embarassing. My GP is brilliant and I don't have a problem getting to see him when I need an appointment.

One of my colleagues had a thyroidectomy a year or two ago, and she has struggled too.

I've been told green tea helps to boost the metabolism, but I can't stand the taste of it, even the fruit flavoured ones, so I've just bought some capsules to try.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Caro.... :)

I get similar reactions from folk who just can't understand why I get so tired/don't want to go out/need to sleep, etc. I've been accused of being all sorts over the years, from depressed to unadventurous.... and still find myself sometimes having to explain why I don't have the energy for a social life when I get in from work !!

No-one actually told me that I would continue to feel this way post-op. I'm trying to change my job to make life a little easier travel-wise as well, but it's like auditioning for the X-Factor !!... lol

I'll look into the green tea theory next time I'm in town... :) ... but like you, will probably take the capsule route...

Well... went to the GP this morning and was told that my thyroid levels were fine according to the last blood test.

Apparently, I have (acute) tonscilitus though... so have anti-biotics for that... another blood test form just in case... and have been signed off work until next week.

She is also checking for glandular fever.... happy days, eh ? 4_2_5v.gif

Ah well, at least you know now, or at least you will when you get the glandular fever results. Hope you feel better soon.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hope it's not glandular fever. It can be most debilitating.

My Step-son had it, not long after he left school. He was up and down for months, until it finally cleared up.

But whatever it is, make sure you follow Doc's orders if you want it cleared up quickly.

Regards, Rooster.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Glad to hear its not the thyroid P1 but hope it doesn't turn out to be glandular fever. I have noticed over the past week or so everyone seems to be producing racking coughs, so hopefully its just a viral thing, tonsillitus is nasty though too - and now you can't even have a wee tot with your antibiotics, get well soon:) (Sorry I do mean a drink not a small child - lol!)

Hiya, My little boy has had a thyroidectomy and he always has colds, sore throats etc...more than just normal kiddie colds. He also has really lethargic times too but his t4 & t3 levels are fine. They even ended up doing a full blood check to see if there were any other underlying issues but they were okay. In the support groups he is in...most people who have had thyroidectomys have these issues...the thyroid affects so many things idont think the docs can possibly check for everything!!

Jenny

That must have been horrible for your son to go through... Being so young, I expect he had problems explaining how he was feeling, let alone attempt to understand any of it ! I hope he's ok now... :)

I don't think I've come to grips with all the things that have sprung up as problems over the past few years... you are right that the thyroid effects so many different things... eyes, skin, hair growth, mood, energy levels... and so on. I had eye problems for ages and even now, have to have a certain kind of contact lense because they are so dry.

My endocrinologist has given up trying to find answers to some of the other issues though.... they are "ideopathic" apparently. :rolleyes: ... so when I can afford it and have time, I'll go and see a Chinese herbalist and see if he/she can sort me out.... lol

:)

MMM i've thought of that...also the magnetic bands are meant to help? I know how it is with the different symptoms...my son has a really itchy scalp when they change his tablets, he also gets bad joint pains..knees especially! Doc said its not related...obviously he knows better;) LOL

He was 2 when he had the TT and he had been very lethargic and ill before...always slept, never moved off the sofa really...not a normal toddler, He is just 5 now and still needs to rest more than the others but medically he is okay now..itsjust the other stuff to cope with like you....without a diagnosis or related cause the normal docs..endo's paeds etc are stumped!!

xx