Got my training wheels on but need pointing in the right direction.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All (Or anyone still pondering at this hour)

Have been reading threads on this site most of the day and have learned a lot so far. Trying to take it all in is a bit mind blowing, and am slowly deciphering the abbreviations. I have to say I am very impressed.

I decided to register since I’ve not found anything that’s similar to my situation, so I was hoping someone could help advise me of the best form of action to take.

In short the story goes....

Last year I signed up to a joint membership with my now ex boyfriend to a gym. £50 per month each as a special deal if we joined together.

We both signed Membership Application forms with little disclaimers about agreeing to pay by direct debit monthly for 12months.

The twist however is that they would only give us this deal if the full monthly £100 for the joint membership was paid out of one of our accounts, at the time I was just finishing uni and he was working with steady income so he signed the direct debit mandate for the £100 to be taken from his account monthly.

All was well, I paid my share direct into his account on a monthly basis, until we split up, and I still continued for a couple of months to pay my share into his. Until I received a letter telling me that the direct debit had been cancelled and that the monthly membership was no longer being paid. So I stopped paying the money into my ex's account too.

I think he was hoping that by cancelling the direct debit the membership would just disappear (he did live off with the fairies when it came to money), instead they started chasing. First looking for him at my address until I gave them his forwarding address.

I didn’t hear anything for months, then out of the blue I get a phone call back in Jan/Feb'07 from my ex telling me they are chasing him and since it was half mine I had to give him the money. I said that was fine, just wanted the paperwork so I could send them a check.

Didn't hear anything for months again, then end of last month I get a call from him again, saying they are chasing and can I give him the money. Told him I just needed to see the paperwork and I’d pay my half. The only paperwork he said he could find was from the gym bank in Jan/Feb. I said I needed details of the DCA so I could pay money directly to them. He said that they had not send him any letters and that they only contact him by phone and vice versa. I insisted he got paperwork, and told him he should too.

Almost 3 weeks later now I get a text (after having tried calling him to see what was happening and clear it all up several times). Giving me their name (Credit Solutions Northern) phone number and the reference number for me to ring up and pay.

Sorry, that wasn't a short story at all.

Basically what I’d like to know is how I should proceed without dropping myself in too deep? I don’t want to be landed with the full amount of the debt if make myself known to the DCA as I’m sure he would not feel the same moral obligation to help me out. I think my best bet is to go directly to the gym customer services and deal with them to clear my half of the account up.

All advice would be so gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Hi My advise is do not contact DCA they would then start chasing you for ALL the debt get your ex to pay them, then when he shows you paperwork to show paid in full you give him a cheque (evidence you have paid him).

But in no circumstances give DCA any of your details that would just make your life hell.

all the best dpick:)

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

I agree with the above, this sounds like he has signed the agreement and it is legally bounding with him only. The agreement you had was with him to pay him half. If this is the case then your credit file wont be harmed only his, pay him what you were due for the year get a receipt which clearly states what it is for, unfortunately you have lost the remainder of your membership due to your ex's inability to pay them but this should put an end to it.

You could advise your ex to bargain with the DCA as they will almost certainly reduce the amount by quite a bit.

Good luck

• Haha 1

Thanks for your responses, I won’t be contacting the DCA now.

Have a couple of problems with,

"get your ex to pay them, then when he shows you paperwork to show paid in full you give him a cheque"

I know he doesn't have the money to pay them in full and I doubt he would agree to this if he did, even if I stood there with a cheque in my hand while he phoned, means I wouldn't get the paperwork, and he wouldn't do it.

A question about,

"this sounds like he has signed the agreement and it is legally bounding with him only"

Does it not matter that I signed agreeing that a direct debit would be paid on the Membership Application form? Even though I did not sign the mandate as it wasn't technically going to be coming out of my account, I’d like to make sure my membership is cleared along with this.

Would now be a good time to mention they required written documentation of wanting to end the membership 30days before the end of the yearly contract otherwise it would be ongoing? I'm out of the loop as to how much the debt is and how deeply my membership account and name are linked to it.

I really want to put an end to it so this sounds good,

"pay him what you were due for the year get a receipt which clearly states what it is for"

However, I was not keen on giving the cash/cheque paid directly to him as I think he would just take it a run and not bother trying to make things better for himself. Also, if I get him to sign some sort of receipt I don’t have the knowledge to know what this must entail to hold any ground and constitute a legal agreement?

I am becoming an eternal pessimist I know, but would like to put an end to this. Hence, why I thought going direct to the gym would be the best approach, do you think this is a big no no?

Any response to my worries would be great thank you.

Hi again the only problem I can see with you going to the gym is it was joint membership I think that again they would chase you for the total debt.

If I were you I would just leave well alone, as I said tell him to pay even by installments and you will pay your half on proof he has paid. You could also recomend he join CAG.

all the best dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640