Jump to content

Advice wanted - ripped suit by roadworks - utility company being awkward

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all,


I was walking past some roadworks on my way to the station a few weeks ago when my suit jacket caught and was ripped (20cm gash) on a sharp piece of metal protruding from a safety barrier (the metal was approximately at eye level for a child). I took photos of the metal and suit damage and spoke to one of the workmen who advised me to call the utility company. After a few weeks and some chasing calls I was sent a claim form which I duly returned with the photographic evidence. The rip is just inside the jacket, so I have been going to work in the ripped suit (missing a button) for the last few weeks pending the claim - not great, but I haven't much choice as cash is short.


I have now received a letter from the utility company in which they reluctantly admit "it does appear that as a company we have to accept some degree of responsibility". They want an original receipt for the suit which, of course, I no longer have, but the price hasn't changed since I bought it and it's an M&S travel suit, the price of which is readily ascertainable from their web site. Do you think they'll screw me if I don't produce a receipt? I don't have a bank statement either and don't want to pay my bank (or go through the hassle) for ordering a replacement.


I also had a second pair of trousers for the suit as they always wear out first, but they won't entertain a claim covering those even though I can't turn up for work wearing the trousers without a jacket (and they're not exactly casual wear). Unfortunately that particular suit is now discontinued, so just replacing the damaged jacket isn't an option.


Any advice about how to respond to them will be very welcome!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is an M&S Suit you can take a photograph of the suit, and the label - the label will have the garment code on it.


You then need to send this, together with an estimate to replace the jacket.


Unfortunately, as liability is sorted on an indemnity basis then there is not much chance of you getting money for the trousers, but you can send in the estimate for the whole suit (not breaking it down into trousers / jacket) to see if they pay...


Remember if it goes to the claims company, with it being a utility company, they will be used to dealing with PI Claims in excess of £10000, so they will not spend too m,uch time on a claim for a suit.


Good luck

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.


Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.


Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list


Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...