• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help - Court Has Stayed Case

jan001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Janine, like your stamina..good luck

Buzzba, start a thread off with your claim in the Lloyds section and we can help you out easier by reading yoour steps so far.

1/6/06 request charges

16/6/06 received charges

18/6/06 first request for refund

3/7/06 "No" letter from bank

13/7/06 LBA

7/08/06 handed claim to court

10/8/06 court stamped as date of issue

24/8/06 deemed to be served

25/8/06 Sechiari filed acknowledgement of service

6/9/06 defence served

9/9/06 copy of defence and AQ received by me

25/9/06 deadline for AQ submission

25/9/06 call Sechiari confirm safe receipt of my AQ

26/9/06 received copy AQ from Sechiari

29/9/06 letter to SCM to say "you want 1 month to settle, so settle"

18/10/06 after "strained communications"and how !

verbal offer of full settlement with conditions

communications rejecting conditions from me

5/11/06 received letter offering settlement with conditions

7/11/06 sent fax rejecting conditions etc

14/11/06 unconditional settlement in bank and how !;)

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Sorry I have not been in touch for a while, been nothing going on but just sitting back and waiting.

How did the ralley go on Friday, sorry I couldnt be there. Hope it went well and you all had a good night after.

Well I have recevied the Notice of Defence from Lloyds and I need to complete and return an Allocation Questionaire by 14 December 2006, which I am in the process of filling in at the moment and would like to send tonight (show them how keen I am!!!!!)

Is there anything I need to know at this stage other than what the quidance notes are telling me.

I have filled it in and am adding the paragraphs suggested in Item G, "other information".

I beleive I do not need to pay a fee because I am only claiming £1190.57.

Do I need to send it with a letter or just on its own?

Just want to make sure I get it right before I send it.

Thank you so much for your help.

Janine. x :p

Yiu can ask for Standard Disclosure:

I

am respectfully requesting that my claim be allocated to the small claims track. This issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact and not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the Defendant in respect of its customer’s contractual breaches exceed their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their actual costs and I am surprised the Defendant did not counterclaim for these, because I would have paid them without argument.

However, the continuing problem is, (in common with the 100s of other cases currently being brought by other bank customers), that the banks refuse to reveal the details of their penalty-charging regime. As the banks have a fiduciary duty towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly and in utmost good faith.

Accordingly, I would respectfully ask that the court in this case, not withstanding allocation to the small claims track, order standard disclosure. I understand that it is in the courts discretion to do so. This would bring a rapid end, not only to this litigation, but would also likely bring an end to much of the litigation in progress against other high-street banks.

And/or refute their defence contention re: vagueness of your POC's. Read carefully and amend where necessary:

The defendant in its defence contends that this claim is not suitably particularised and the statement of claim is “embarrassing” and shows no reasonable grounds for the claim to be brought. The Claimant disagrees with this contention entirely. The claims particulars clearly state the statutory and common law provisions on which this claim relies, and the claimant will of course elaborate upon the claim particulars at such time as is required upon the direction of the court. Further, contrary to the contention of the defendant, the relevant numbers of the account in question were clearly identified in the claimant’s particulars of claim, and a full schedule of the charges which form the sum claimed from the defendant was sent to Northampton bulk court on the day of issue for inclusion alongside the claims particulars. Additionally, the defendant was served with this information on two occasions previously within a 28 day period allowed by the claimant to attempt to resolve the issue prior to the commencement of this litigation. For the sake of expediency, I have attached another copy of the schedule to this allocation questionnaire.

As is known to the defendant, I am a litigant in person in this case. It is respectfully submitted that the contentions of the defendant are highly likely to be an attempt to distress and intimidate, rather than presenting any valid or reasonable objections to the clarity of the Particulars of claim.

I have filed my Allocation Questionnaire which is due by tomorrow (14.12.06), but on receiving the bank's AQ I have noticed there are a few boxes of mine which are not ticked and I am not sure if it matters.

I followed the instructions on this site for Section E "Experts" to tick NO, which I did for the first questions, but did not tick anything for the further questions in that section. Does this matter?

Also for Section F "Hearing" I ticked NO, to the first question, but did not tick anything on the further question "Will you be using an interpreter at the hearing either for yourself or for a witness?". Does this matter?

I am worried that they will throw it out if I dont fill it in correctly. I have prepared a new one and will run it down to the courts tomorrow if you think I should do so.

Thank you very much.

Janine :p x

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Hope everybody had a nice christmas and the ralley and christmas party went well!

I have just received my "Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing)" with my court date of 2 April 2007.

There are a few things that they require that I could do with a hand with.

In paragraph 3 it states that any party may rely as evidence on a statement of case (if verified by statement of truth). Is this the court bundles which you refer to.

Can someone help me with what I need to send to them because I am getting a bit confused now. Thanks.

Also, should I do it ASAP and show them im on the ball or do I wait til close to the deadline so it puts pressure on them to submit there reply?

Any help here would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi All

Hope everybody had a nice christmas and the ralley and christmas party went well!

I have just received my "Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing)" with my court date of 2 April 2007.

There are a few things that they require that I could do with a hand with.

In paragraph 3 it states that any party may rely as evidence on a statement of case (if verified by statement of truth). Is this the court bundles which you refer to.

Can someone help me with what I need to send to them because I am getting a bit confused now. Thanks.

Also, should I do it ASAP and show them im on the ball or do I wait til close to the deadline so it puts pressure on them to submit there reply?

Any help here would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you Michael

I will have a look at them at the weekend.

Also, does it matter if you dont have your letters that Lloyds have previously sent on this matter.

I also want to know what the best tactics are. Should I file my court bundles ASAP and show to Lloyds that I am on the ball or should i wait til the last minutes so it puts them under pressure to file a response.

Advice on this would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

Janine is your user name is your real name then please PM me with an alternative as its in your best interest not to use your real name

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I am just preparing my court bundles at the moment which seems to be taking forever because I dont get much time to work on them, so I seem to be spending all my time trying to get my head round it.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or advice that they would like to share with me please.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jan. x :p

• 7 months later...

Hi

I have received the following letter today from Birmingham County Court regarding my case with Lloyds TSB. As follows:

"Before DISTRICT JUDGE COOKE sitting at Birmingham County Court, Civil Justice Centre, The Priory Courts, 33 Bull Street, Birmingham, B4 6DS.

Upon the Courts own motion. The Court has made this order of its own initiative without a hearing. If you object to the order, you must make an application to have it set aside, varied or stayed within 7 days of receiving it

IT IS ORDERED THAT

This court is aware that a test case has been issued in the High Court between the Office of Fair Trading and certain banks, with a view of determining issues of legal principle in relation to the recovery of charges made on bank current accounts and the applicability of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations and other legislation to such charges.

Further information in relation to the test case is available on the OFT's website at The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers.

Upon it appearing that the issues raised in the test case will affect this claim, the claim is stayed until further order with a view to awaiting the decision in the test case. Either party may apply at any time, by application on notice in accordance with CPR23, to lift the stay. If there is no such application by 30 September 2008, the court will in any event then consider whether to make a further order.

Dated 25 September 2007"

Can anybody help me with what letter I need to send them please.

Thanks. :p

Hi

I have received the following letter today from Birmingham County Court regarding my case with Lloyds TSB. As follows:

......................... .................

"Before DISTRICT JUDGE COOKE sitting at Birmingham County Court, Civil Justice Centre, The Priory Courts, 33 Bull Street, Birmingham, B4 6DS.

Upon the Courts own motion. The Court has made this order of its own initiative without a hearing. If you object to the order, you must make an application to have it set aside, varied or stayed within 7 days of receiving it

IT IS ORDERED THAT

This court is aware that a test case has been issued in the High Court between the Office of Fair Trading and certain banks, with a view of determining issues of legal principle in relation to the recovery of charges made on bank current accounts and the applicability of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations and other legislation to such charges.

Further information in relation to the test case is available on the OFT's website at The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers.

Upon it appearing that the issues raised in the test case will affect this claim, the claim is stayed until further order with a view to awaiting the decision in the test case. Either party may apply at any time, by application on notice in accordance with CPR23, to lift the stay. If there is no such application by 30 September 2008, the court will in any event then consider whether to make a further order.

Dated 25 September 2007"

......................... ..........

Can anybody help me with what letter I need to send them please.

Thanks. :p