Do I have to repay a non-credit agreement debt from over six years ago?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am being chased for a debt of over £10,000.00 from over six years ago:

It was not a loan or credit card or any type of finance agreement - it was an amount that occurred through a business bank account that was also closed by the bank over six years ago. It was a little like an unauthorised overdraft.

I do remember the bank sending me a loan agreement to repay the money which I didn't sign or return to them. I never heard from them again.

I have recently started getting letters from a collection agency to which I haven't responded. I have also since moved address but I have mail redirected.

1. Where do I stand?

2. What should I do?

3. Can they register it with the CRA's?

4. Does the six year staute barring apply as it wasn't a finance agreement and / or I wasn't defaulted?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Michael

If its at least six years since you last acknowledged the debt then it is time barred by statute and cannot be enforced.

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

Hi Michael and welcome to CAG. The Statute of Limitations isn't just for agreement regukated by the Consumer Credit Act, so providing you haven't paid anythin or offered to pay anything in writing or there is a CCJ against the account the debt is statatute barred. The statute barred letter is here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html template M.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.