LTSB Internet bank transfer - sent to wrong account!

gemspan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I have a general question.

Over 2 weeks ago I made an internet transfer to somebody who had given me their bank details. The money didnt credit their account and they got in touch with me to see what account I had sent it to. I sent a copy of the email they sent me and they had given me the wrong account number.

I got in touch with phone banking and was told that this would be sent through to their recovery department to get it back for me. 5 days later I called again as I hadnt heard anything and they did not have a record of this being done so they had to start a new transaction. I was on the phone for almost an hour when they told me I would have to phone internet banking recovery as I had done this online. Phone banking had given me a different account number to the one I had sent it to but when I went through to internet banking they confirmed that the money had gone to the account number originally stated and they had no idea how the account number had been changed as there was no record of me doing it.

That was a week ago and I still do not have the £300. I got a letter saying that I would have to sort this out myself but I dont know the address of the bank in question and I feel as they have all the details it is easy for them to do this. This is LTSB I am talking about.

Any suggestions as to where I go from here?

Thanks

Gemspan

Was this a business transaction? If so, the onus would be on the other person to provde you with the right bank details - if they haven't, tough for them.

If it's a personal matter, i would telephone LTSB again and ask to speak to a manager. They need to tell you exactly where the money has gone (bnk, branch etc - they should have found this out via their investigations) sotaht you can sort it out yourself. unfortunately, as it isn't their mistake, all they can do is try to assist you - they are not legally obliged to refund the money to you as they would if it was their mistake.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

This is becoming a common problem, however the responsibility for the loss remains with the person who provided the incorrect details. They would be in exactly the same situation as you in trying to get the money reassigned to the correct account number, but I would hope that he's not letting you do all the work. Since it will be HIS bank that received the inbound payment (if it was a mistake in the account number) he should be able to deal with them face to face. There is no automatic right to a reversal and if the bank do not act and the beneficiary doesn't arrange for the money to be transferred, it will be up to him to sue the account holder.

• dx100uk changed the title to LTSB Internet bank transfer - sent to wrong account!