Paying solicitors to get you off speeding tickets?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5010 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine recently got caught speeding by a mobile camera unit. He was approached by solicitors who siad they could help him avoid the points and fine for £160!

They gave him some letter templates to follow. Initially he said he didn't know who was driving and could he have the photo. All the police sent was a photo of the vehicle registration and grill.

He then said he didn't know who was driving and it could have been any of three people. The police have told him he must advise who was driving.

He's now been given a template asking for the calibration of the speed camera, the training record of the officer who used it and a load of other rather tenuous and odd requests.

I have heard of people avoiding speeding fines and points by saying the driver was from overseas or simply saying they don't know who was driving. But I'm sure on the radio last week they were saying these "get-outs" were being taken very seriously and not allowed anymore.

Anybody know the current situation please? Personally I think he should just fess up but I thought you guys might know what these solicitors were all about?

21/8/06 Intelligent Finance - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

1/9/06 Intelligent Finance Prelim Approach letter requesting refund of £319 charges

10/9/06 Intelligent Finance LBA sent

26/9/06 Moneyclaim Online filed - £385.88

12/10/06 Settlement of £415.88

Hi GNN,

Did your friend pay the solicitor up front, and how much. I wonder how he was "approached by solicitors".

I thought solicitors had a professional obligation to operate with honesty and integrity - surely suggesting other drivers, etc, when your friend was driving himself is a serious offence. If I'm not mistaken peeps have been hammered for such avoidance when caught out.

Perhaps fessing up may now cost more dearly than if the penalty and points had been taken at the time.

Certainly not an expert, and interested, Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

A friend of mine recently got caught speeding by a mobile camera unit. He was approached by solicitors who siad they could help him avoid the points and fine for £160!

Total con. He could do everything he needs to do for himself - just visit PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice

They gave him some letter templates to follow. Initially he said he didn't know who was driving and could he have the photo. All the police sent was a photo of the vehicle registration and grill.

Some forces will send out copies of the photographs "to help identify the driver" if asked - but they are not obliged to.

He then said he didn't know who was driving and it could have been any of three people. The police have told him he must advise who was driving.

If he does know, and the Police can prove it (ie it was him) then this si called attempting to pervert the course of justice, which normally leads to a prison sentence - does he like showering with men?

He's now been given a template asking for the calibration of the speed camera, the training record of the officer who used it and a load of other rather tenuous and odd requests.

Unless and until he is summonsed for the offence of speeding (and the way he seems to be heading, it will be failure to provide) and enters a plea of not guilty, he will not get any of this data (evidence).

If he is summonsed for failure to provide, he still won't get it as it is not relevant to the charge.

I have heard of people avoiding speeding fines and points by saying the driver was from overseas

He will be asked how the foreign driver was insured to drive the car. If his insurance doesn't cover it, he may possibly be charged with 'permitting'.

or simply saying they don't know who was driving.

AKA the 'Hamilton' defence. The RTA allows for this providing he can demonstrate reasonable diligence to the Court in trying to find out who was driving. Simply saying he doesn't know won't cut it.

Hi Girlynutnut,

What Pat has said about these solicitors is true, however your friend can cite misrepresentation in court (to avoid perverting the course of justice), as he was following what the so-called solicitors told him to say - I would also recommend your friend send a letter to the Law Society and the OSS reporting those solicitors, as they are working outside of their Legal Capacity, by causing a client to commit another crime,based on their advice - which is not allowed.

The OSS details are:

The Office for the Supervision of Solicitors

Victoria Court

8 Dormer Place

Leamington Spa

Warwickshire CV32 5AE.

Enquiry line: 0845 6086565

Fax: 01926 431435

The Law Society Details:

Solicitors Complaints: 0845 608 6565

For future reference, solicitors work for you, not you for them, so if they want to say that your friend was not the driver, they should say that to the police/courts, not your friend - then they will perjure themselves in court, not your friend.

There are ways and means to get out of a speeding ticket- but none are without their risks (as with anything), but before going down that route, your friend should weigh up all the pros and cons first.

Dani