• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Pipex Contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just a quick querry, I have been with Pipex since January and would like to move to another provider, Pipex have told me I am tied into a year long contract. However at no point did I sign any contract agreeing to this, I have asked Pipex to supply a copy of anything I may have signed agreeing to ther terms and obviously they couldn't provid it. Where do I now stand with the £120 they expect me to pay in relation to my early get out?

Hi lukemannion, I think you are likely to have a bit of a battle on with this one.

You may not have physically signed any contract, in much the same way as most online transactions do not have an actual signature. But it is likely that as part of your application to receive the service, and Pipex's agreement to provide the service you will have given your details and ticked a box to state that "you understand and agree to the terms and conditions set out" etc etc or similar wording. I have taken the two quotes below from their standard T & C's

3. Term

3.1 This Agreement will commence on the Commencement Date and shall continue for a term equivalent to the subscription period paid by the Customer until the expiry of that subscription period or the Agreement is terminated in accordance with the terms hereof ("the Term") subject to the provisions of paragraph 13.1

and

"Minimum Period of Service"

© For customers using Pipex Mini, Midi, Start, Go, Max and Managed Business services - The minimum period of service will be twelve (12) months from the commencement date. Please note: All Customers that have not incurred a set up or joining fee and terminate services within the first twelve (12) months of service from the commencement date will be required to pay the remainder of their contract. For example a Customer who chooses Pipex Start + Anytime (£19.00 per month) and cancels their contract after 3 months will be required to pay the last 9 months of the contract at the full price. Therefore £19.00 x 9 months = £171.00.

If you can argue that the service is so bad that it does not meet the standards expected then you may have some chance, but usually they include a phrase like "we cannot guarantee speeds" and set their minimum acceptable speed so low that anything above an old dial up connection is deemed to be within reason.

Why are you wanting to change?

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Fob off now rec'd to the prelim

Copy of fob off now rec'd as response to LBA!

Full repayment of all charges since 1997 now received.

Account Closed

Donation made :)

Found another relevant quote from their t & c's

2.2 The provisions of the Application Form are binding on Pipex once Pipex confirm to the Customer in writing acceptance of the Customer's order. The Customer agrees to receive the Service and pay the fees for the Service as specified in this Agreement.

and

13.2 If a Customer wishes to end this Agreement before the end of the Minimum Period of Service, Pipex shall be entitled to charge the Customer fees which would have been payable by the Customer for the balance of the Minimum Period of Service. In addition to this Pipex shall also be entitled to charge the Customer a one off cancellation fee which will be charged at the equivalent value of any incentives that the Customer may have previously received on the basis of staying with Pipex for the Minimum Period of Service.

13.3 In addition, if a Customer using Pipex Solo, Pipex Lite, Pipex 1000 and Pipex 2000 wishes to end this Agreement before twelve (12) months have elapsed since the Commencement Date Pipex shall be entitled to charge a termination fee. For details of the current termination fee please contact the Pipex Sales department on 0845 077 2537.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but as I say a lot depends on why you want to cancel, as it may give you more of a argument against the charge

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

• 1 month later...

Quick update, sorry it took so long but as expected Pipex cut me off. I ended up getting a letter from their solicitors basically saying to pay up or they'll take me to court and charge more, I wrote back saying I am quite prepared to pay the amount if they can supply me with a signed agreement or a recording of the telephone call that I alledgelly verbally agreed to a years contract, if they can't then I can only assume such a contract doesn't exist and therfore neither would this debt. I also explained I had previously writtain to Pipex via recorded delivery requesting the same. I added I had not made unreasonable requests and had done my best to keep it out of the court system.

Everything has now been put on hold while I assume they search for an agreement, i'll give it a little longer and then complain to OFCOM.

This would be a good route if the contract between you had been paperbased. However as with most broadband services you would have been sent an installation disc which you would not have been able to complete the installation if you did not tick the box. The fact that your broadband is installed means you agreed to their terms and conditions

Am not really sure what you are going to go to Ofcom with ... most broadband suppliers have an initial 12 month contract - you want out of it early you either have to pay the price or wait till the end of the contract.

If the supply of the service is poor then there are specific routes to take - none of which is to not pay and threaten with Ofcom when it doesn't look like you have any basis

• 1 month later...

Honey hit the nail on the head.

Sign up to a news service (£6-£15p/m) and get something like sabnzbd (free) and a Newzbin account (£1.00p/m).

This will enable you to download over 1TB of data a month, Pipex will be falling over themselves to offer an early end to your contract.

The only problem you'll have then is finding an ISP who will allow you to continue downloading that sort of amount a month. You'll be hooked to news services by then. :-)

A news service (usenet) account will give you the same access to movies, tv programs, books and music that P2P allows but it actually works. Oh and it's about 100 times faster than P2P too.

th3joker, that's posibly one way but be careful, you could end up with just a throttled service. So you are no nearer the end of your contract but have a much slower connection speed for your trouble. This would leave you even worse off.

from thinkbroadband.com ...

Also the management used, appears to be a fairly straightforward throttle of the lines ability to download data, and is across the board, rather than for specific protocols or ports. In some cases people are seeing connections go from working at 200KB/sec to just 20KB/sec when the management is in place.

lukemannion, I'm not saying don't - just be wary

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

If you signed up to pipex you automatically are locked into a 12 month contract there is nothing you can say to get out of it, bar do what Honey says and hammer the amount you d/l.

Believe me they will offer you your MAC code straight away i just wished i did what Honey suggested.

Luke,

I believe Pipex changed either their FUP or T&C's in February this year, in which case you are allowed to leave on the basis that they changed their contractual obligation after you had agreed to the contract.

I am not sure exactly when in February it was and they may have attached a clause to it stating that you can indeed end the 12 month term early, but you would need to do so within a 30 day period.

It may merit a bit of digging around to find the information, I will certainly look through my Pipex correspondence to see if I can find it.

All the best,

Adrian

Hi Luke,

I was right they did and here it is:

Fair Use Policy (FUP) 14/02/07

The Pipex Fair Use Policy (FUP) has been implemented so that we can deliver a broadband service that is fast and reliable to all our customers.

We monitor the performance of our network and may restrict the amount of bandwidth available to very heavy users during busy periods to ensure that the majority of the customer base have a good experience. This applies to all customers using our Pipex broadband services including unlimited broadband.

In addition we will contact customers who frequently use excessive bandwidth to the detriment of others to advise them of this, ask them to change their behaviour and offer them alternative courses of action. In some cases if their usage remains high we will suspend or close their account. This will enable us to offer a fair service to the rest of the customer base.

Why have a Fair Use Policy?

Some customers usage is in excess of that expected from normal home use and this impacts on the service level to others particularly at busy times. This may be due to high use of file sharing software or heavy downloads of music and films.

Will I be affected by the Fair Use Policy?

If you don't use file sharing software or download large files from the Internet it's unlikely you'll ever be affected by our policy. If you do, all we request is that you do so with consideration for other customers sharing the Pipex network, for instance, downloading outside peak hours.

What happens if my use is very high?

If your broadband usage is occasionally very high, we're unlikely to be concerned. However, if your usage is frequently high and impacts our network, and the experience of other customers, in a negative way then we will get in touch with you to ask you to change your behaviour.

If your usage remained high and didn’t change, or contravened the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), we may take further action and may suspend your service and close the account. We want to avoid this happening and ask for your support in ensuring a good service for all Pipex customers.

How can I manage my usage more efficiently?

If you intend to use your broadband connection for downloading large files we suggest you try and do this outside of peak hours.

For previous updates regarding Traffic Management Progress and High Traffic Usage in relation to our updated FUP please click the following links:

High Traffic Usage Update (1 July 2005)

Traffic Management Progress Update (July 2005)

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this statement you can contact us by e-mailing: [email protected]

I think the key was the date, I cancelled mine in March just after receiving the letter stating that the FUP was changing. I stated that since the FUP and therefore contract and service had changed I was no longer tied to the original contract because of this.

They wrote to me just after the FUP had been put in place (early March) and said that I was in breach of their FUP and offered me the option of reducing usage or taking a MAC and leaving. I took the MAC, though I had terrible problems for a year afterwards with them trying to continue to take money.

If they do let you out of the contract, cancel the direct debit immediately. They tried to debit the remaining 10 months in one go the following day after having agreeing not to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grizzleguts

Hi, the biggest problem with ISP's is that, no terms and conditions are actually supplied, and the only time you get to find out there are terms and conditions, is when you phone up to complain, and they state "the terms and conditions are on our web site".

The fact that they send you a modem etc, means they have had ample opportunity to supply them, which of course they do not.

Having asked for them to send you a copy of the agreement (hopefully via recorded mail), and they refuse, they are infact in breech of the CCA.

If taken to court, you would find that, the standard form contract, that was verbally agreed, without the T&C's, would be laughed out of the court. especially, as you would have proof you have asked for them, and if they have cut off your internet connection, How are you suppossed to view them?

Also with holding your Mac code would be basically making you Unemployed if you needed the internet for work, which with a half decent lawyer, would be able to get a settlement, before the court stage, or get you some form of compensation for financial and personel distress.