• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

can you claim all your unfair charges, even if you owe the bank/credit card money??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6007 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi every one, i would be very greatful on any advive you could give me regrarding claims i am making for my unfair credit/bank charges.

i have a company getting my money back for me, (i wish i did it myself now,becouse they deduct 25% for then selfs)

the proble is, im in debt with all these credit cards and the bank account im reclaiming from.

i had a letter from capital one who have agreed to pay me my money owed rather then it go to court, fantastic! but they have used most the money owed to me to pay my out standing debt i have with them.

im still trying to get hold of a copy of my sign agreement when i first took out the credit card, this was back in aprill this year i requested it. but they have not produced it.

i know this is a good thing, so please dont think im being greedy, but i truly did want to share the debt around with other debts i have.

i was told by some one, that i am intitled to all my money, in debt or not, its up to me what i do with it. and not the credit/ bank.

i dont know what to do, please if some one out there has any suggestions i would be very greatful.

many thanks michelle xx

Yes, you can claim back unlawful charges regardless of the state of the relevant account.

Be honest, if the charges hadn't been made, then you wouldn't be in such trouble, would you?

I believe it is your right to have the funds refunded in full for you do spend as you desire, BUT if the bank/cc company can apply it against your outstanding debt, then they may be more inclined to pay you in the first place.

I got my charges refunded by Barclays, and they gave me a full refund, with no conditions.

If you've employed a claims company to do the claim for you, why aren't THEY answering questions like this? If they can't, I'd be tempted to get rid of them, and do it yourself with help from this forum.

;)

What will the claims firm do if the Bank refunds the money to your account directly to reduce any outstanding amount.

It's really upto them how they refund the money. Most of all the charges I've had refunded went to reduce outstanding debts.

sorry if this is not good news

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

thanks for that.

i told the reclaim bank charges people doing my claims i am in debt with these credit cards and banks, i have myself wondered what will happen if the credit/bank deduct all the money i owe from these unfair charges and left nothing to pay the company sorting it out for me,

i understand capital one was at the court stage, i also have hsbc at that stage too, and citi finantial .

do you think i could contact the reclaim bank charges company and put it to them that i want my money in full, and not to be used on the out standing debt??

michelle xx

do you think i could contact the reclaim bank charges company and put it to them that i want my money in full, and not to be used on the out standing debt??

Seems sensible to me. After all, if ALL your refunds go to pay off the arrears/overdrafts you have, who's going to pay your claims company? It would be ironic (not to say unprofessional on their part) if you ended up with your arrears eliminated, but no cash in your account to pay them....

;)

• Haha 1

Hi I think this company should be negotiating and ensuring that you are paid directly - i took cap one to court they refused to pay me by chq so I am continuing in court as they are also in default of the CCA - just awaiting a court date

• Haha 1

hi everyone, i have just had a reply from the company dealing with getting my unfair charges back,

she said,

the problem is is that they are settling out of court as a 'gesture of goodwill' therefore, they can pay the money to whom they wish, if the court proceedings were to continue without them paying in full this would be a different matter as the court would order payment to be made to you.

is that right do you think?

so shall i refuse the money ??

michelle

Hiya Mich,

If I've read you PM correctly.... you (allegedly) owe them more then they owe you in charges, so even if they were to refund the charges, there would still be an outstanding balance left on the account. Without a CCA to enforce however, there isn't much they can do about this....

If they go to court, then they would have to admit no CCA.... so I'm assuming that they are willing to refund charges as "a gesture of goodwill" in order to avoid this scenario and hope that you will be resuming payments on the outstanding balance nevertheless, once the refund has been made.

Any thoughts from anyone else ? :)

Having recently taken Crap one to court for charges refund and default removal I would continue with the claim. I went through all this before they gave full refund and removed default from credit file.

TezViper

• Haha 1

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful

hi priortiy, they owe me more then i owe them, they owe me 545 ponds in unfair charges.

411 pounds of the money capital one wants to keep to pay of the out standing debt

then i have to deduct a further 123.96 pounds,to pay the company dealing with my case

after its all paid out i am left with 10 pounds to myself

michelle xx

Having read in a bit more detail, the company dealing this should be doing all this for you and ensuring that they get paid from the money retrieved from these banks etc. Isnt that what they are charging 25% for ( which is totally robbery )

I am pretty sure they only get 25% of whats claimed back and if you dont see any of it then neither will they.

TezViper

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Sorry Mich.... got it the wrong way around :rolleyes: .... it's been a long day.

I am pretty sure that you can have this money paid to you directly. Sequenci will know if you PM him. Unfortunately, the charges from the company are a separate issue.... so you may have to chalk that one up to experience, but vow to come on here and sort things out CAG-style if it ever happens again.

:)

i have just emailed the lady dealing with my claims, can i continue taking them to court on the ground i want my money in full, she replyed just with...

The claim is already in Gloucester County Court, that is why Capital One are paying up - making the offer they just have is called 'settling out of Court', in other words they are paying up without the need to go to a hearing.

michellexx

Sorry Mich.... got it the wrong way around :rolleyes: .... it's been a long day.

I am pretty sure that you can have this money paid to you directly. Sequenci will know if you PM him. Unfortunately, the charges from the company are a separate issue.... so you may have to chalk that one up to experience, but vow to come on here and sort things out CAG-style if it ever happens again.

i will do, i did do it my self not so long ago it was for lloyds only 35 pounds they gave it me back, i was well proud of my self!! ha ha

i gonna do barclays next ,again only a little one 40 pounds, but its my money and i want it! ha ha . x

They might be wanting to settle because there is no CCA... and therefore, may have to explain their grounds for deducting the £400 odd before refunding you.... for a debt that they don't have the paperwork to back up.

This one is your call Mich.... it all depends on whether you want to pursue it in court or not. Have they promised default removal as part of their out of court settlement ?

I have to log off soon.... but will try and catch up with you tomorrow.

They might be wanting to settle because there is no CCA... and therefore, may have to explain their grounds for deducting the £400 odd before refunding you.... for a debt that they don't have the paperwork to back up.

This one is your call Mich.... it all depends on whether you want to pursue it in court or not. Have they promised default removal as part of their out of court settlement ?

I have to log off soon.... but will try and catch up with you tomorrow.

i have just emailed the lady dealing with my claim back, asking if i can continue with claiming the full amount back to me and not to pay towards the debt, cos what she just emailed me was what i already new.

no capital one have not put any thind about lifting defaults etc. xx

thanks priortiy one, catch you tomorrow hopefuly, x

the lady from the reclaim company has just replyed to me email with the following.....

Unfortunately no, a judge would strike out the claim on the basis that Capital One are willing to pay the claim in full plus court costs, we both may then be fined for wasting the courts time. If they were willing only to make a part payment we could continue it's because they are paying in full that the claim cannot continue within the courts. Capital One by paying up are actually being quite sneaky !!!

Sorry about that !!

I've actually drawn up further court papers for you to sign against Citi Cards, do you want to go ahead with that ?

thats a shame! x

i would push them on a default removal

since to be honest, thats what affects you the most.

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

Can only be done if default removal was part of original claim!

TezViper

TezViper

I suggest that you tell the company that you want any gesture of goodwill in the form of a cheque. If Capital One apply to get the claim struck out because of an offer that you haven't accepted, then let the charges company earn their 25% by opposing it. Of course they're happy for you to accept the GOGW as it means they'll get their 25% sooner rather than later. How easy would it be to tell them you're going to do it yourself, and that you aren't satisfied that they are working in your best interest.

I suggest that you tell the firm that you won't be going ahead against Citicards through them, and do it yourself. I know Citi are particularly difficult to deal with, but you can get free advice and support on this site from people who have won against them.

Do you have a default from Cap 1, or a debt management plan?

Of course there's also the issue of the CCA which means the debt is unenforceable, but as you are owed more than the amount of the debt, my feeling is that you should let that one go.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Unless I have read it wrong they are offering full refund plus costs which does satisfy the claim. As far as I am aware they can offset the outstanding debt and anything less goes to you or in your case to the company acting on your behalf. I really cant see anyway around it.

At the end of the day the debt will be written off!

TezViper

TezViper

They have not produced a CCA, so they would need to prove that there is a debt. Anyway, the so-called debt is made up of unlawful charges, so take away the charges and there is no debt. They could either accept paying by cheque, or go to court to prove that they should not have to pay the money back.

However, if michsienna was planning to use the money to pay off the debt anyway, then it doesn't really matter one way or the other, but there may be other debts that need to take priority, and it's up to him/her to decide how to use the payment.

The reason I asked about a DMP, is because Capitial 1 should not get preferential treatment over other creditors, by paying themselves first. They are not in a position to dictate the terms of paying the claim, and the so-called company who are helping should know that if they think they are worth 25%. If Cap 1 aren't happy with that, then let them go to court and see what the judge decides. ;)

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Has a claim been filed at court? If so what are the particulars of that claim?

TezViper

TezViper

All the company need to do, or you, is write to Cap 1 and say you will accept the gesture of good will in the form of a cheque, with no conditions attached to the settlement - if that is what you want. To be honest though I think you are as well to get rid of the debt, and have done with them, and get away from the claiming company as fast as you can.

Tell them to get in touch and I'll let them have my bill for advice given.:p (Joke in case anyone thinks I would ever dream of charging anyone).

i am happy with the debt being cleared, at leaset that one debt out of the way!

im seriously thinking of doing the citi one myself, the claims company are sending me out court papers to sign and send back.

if i tell the company i know longer wish them to act on my behalf, do i take on where they left off?,

taking them to court, the thought does scare me a little,

a the good thing will be the claims company has worked out how much citi owe me, and do i need to get hold of the statement copies the company would of got of citi?, the company might still charge me for them gaining the statements.

ive already asked them for my barclay statements (the unfair charges with barclays were only 40 pounds, for the company to help you you must have over 250 pounds in unfair charges)

ive got a feeling with citi, they owe me less then i owe them, i dont want to be in a situation where i will be in debt with company helping me with these unfair charges.

michelle xx