• Tweets

• Journo Russell Scott has been looking at people who sold PPE to the Johnson government. https://twitter.com/RussellScott1/status/1780686322908487787  
    • It is important that you do the reading about this subject in the sub- forum. It's not complicated but you need to be in control and I don't think you are. For instance, much of the information you need and also the case transcripts that you're looking for are in the fixed topics at the top of this sub- forum but clearly you didn't know that. You will gain in confidence if you do the reading. Particularly as it now looks as if the mediation has not worked because EVRi have stayed you up and so you may now be going to trial. You need to understand thoroughly what you are doing. We will help you and you will find our support is unstinting but you have to do your part. Please spend a lot of time reading the stories on the sub- forum especially the pinned posts at the top of the sub- forum and then start preparing your court bundle. We have instructions here for everything
    • I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

confusing letter

belkin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent the first letter to my HSBC asking for my last 6 years of statements. they sent me back a letter advising the bank is now involved with the office of fair trading in relation to bank charges.

They have then printed off all my overdraft charges and other related charges.

Do i continue with the 2nd letter asking for my charges back?

Do i included both lots of charges?

Thanks

What you need to do is input your charges into one of the spreadsheets from the bank template library, I will post a link to it at the bottom of this reply. Please do not delete any of the example charges that are on these templates as this deletes the formulas for calculating the interest claimable at court stage. Just input your figures over the top of the ones there and once you have finished then delete the ones that are not yours. You will need to use the description that HSBC have used eg Total charges, Arrangement fees, Recall DD, recall SO.

Yes there is a test case which is due to start in January with OFT (Office of Fair TRading) and yes your claim will probably get stayed if you file a claim with the court. All HSBC are doping at the moment is putting a halt on all claims for charges until the outcome of this test case. But if you are experiencing extreme financial difficulties and can prove this or they have been taking money from benefits there maybe a way to lift this stay.

Here is the link to the bank tamplate library. Once you have done this, come back and someone can advise you of the next step.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

If it were me though, and I'm hopelessly paranoid about these things, I wouldn't trust the banks version of just the overdraft charges. If I ask for something I expect to receive it (which is usually my line to the other half, but thats another story), and in this case, in MY opinion you haven't received what you asked for.

AGain if it were me, I would write back informing them that they have yet to supply what you asked for, reminding them of the timescale they have in which to fulfil a SAR.

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

I agree with Rayne. Is there any chance you can access the info via online banking? If the account is still open and you haven't registered for online banking, go to their website Home: personal, business, online, internet, banking: HSBC Bank UK and register. You will thenbe given a IB number and will be able to access six years worth of statements that way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

I agree with Rayne.

:o :D

BTW, I also echo what JW said in the first response. Even with what they have sent you you can still start working on the spreadsheet, just save it when done and make any alterations when the info you requested finally turns up ;)

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

In order to see what the charges desription is, you will need to click on the actual charge. This will then open another window and tell you what the charge is.

• 4 months later...

Hi there

I havent had a chance to check the forum lately and wondered what the latest was in refernce to the test case. I havent received a letter from the bank since end October, when they confirmed receipt of my charges summary.

Do i need to do anything else yet?

Thanks for your help in advance.

The judge has listened to all and sundry (eg banks & OFT) and is currently mulling over things. Hopefully we should hear something in the next couple of months.

Have you actually filed a court claim?

So you have just done the preliminary letter?

If your charges are going back six years, in order to not lose the earlier ones, you could carry on with the procedure by sending the bank the "letter before action" and then file a claim with the couts.

Letter before action template is here:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

Again enclose an up to date schedule of charges (include any that you have incurred since the last schedule you sent)

This letter tells the bank they have 14 days in which to give your money back otherwise you will file a claim through the courts.

What will probably happen next is that you will not receive anything from HSBC (or receive a letter informing you of the test case balh...blah...blah)

then on the 15th day after sending the LBA, file a claim through the courts.

Hi there,

I sent off my LBA last Thursday and received a letter back from the bank today saying

"as previously explained, we have recorded your complaint and once the legal proceedings between the office of fair trade (OFT) and the banks are completed, we will resolve your complaint as quickly as possible.

We apologise for not being able to provide you with a full response now, but we will make syre that you are provided with appropriate up-dates about the proceedings with the OFT. blah blah blah"

I will proceed down 'taking them to court' road but should i write a letter prior to sending my N1 form saying i am prepared to discuss a settlement out of court?

Has anyone else gone down this road and has anyone won since this OFT thing has been going on?

Help and advise please.

Thanks

subscribing x :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Belkin,

Your LBA (letter before action ) is exactly what it says - "either come back in 14 days with an acceptable response or I will take you to court".

IMHO another letter asking for an agreement out of court will only allow them to prevaricate and waffle further. Were I you (and I was -twice) I would follow through now with your court action - it will get you into the 'system' /queue when the stays are lifted.

As for your other query , I cannot say I've heard of anyone recently bring paid out - unless it was for something not relevant to the test case.

PS I've just noticed jo's earlier advice ...... it's good - go with it! :-)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Hi Thanks for your help, I am a bit confused by what you are saying though, has literally no one been paid out since they started the OFT case? If so what is the likely outcome once I send in my N1 form, surely lots of people will have been in this position if no one is being paid?

Also, I have had the above letter telling me about the OFT case blah blah, so am preparing my court bundle to send when the 14 days is up, I have been corresponding with my branch so far, and have just printed the branch address on my N1 form, should I change this to the head office address (if so, which one? there are several) or does it not really matter?

Thanks in advance

The N1 form will get the court action started and it will take it's course . As I said earlier ,it'll get you into the court system - up to the stage where it becomes a 'stayed claim' - (unless the judgement has been handed down before you get to that stage, which I doubt).

You will then be in the queue along with all the rest who are waiting for the stays to be lifted.

As for the address, belkin, I don't think it makes much difference - it's the company (HSBC ) that's the important bit.

Just follow the procedures and then sit back and wait............:)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone,

I recieved another letter today from the court.

The defendant filed an acknowledgment of service

The defendant responded to the claim indicating an intention to defend all of the claim.

The defendant has 28 days from the date of service of the claim form with paticulars of claim, to file a defence.

The acknowledgement was filed by blah blah blah

So, am I going to court? or can I expect a letter saying about the "stayed claim" I was hoping it wouldnt quite take me to court but guess I am pshycing myself up now!

Saw that a judgement is due tomorrow, do you think I will know more then?

Thanks for your help!

This is usual formal bumph from the court. It means that HSBC have 28 days to produce a defence which they may or may not do.

The main point is that your claim is in the system........ it'll probably get stayed if the judgement is not accepted by whoever loses the test case . It'll probably go to appeal , but we won't know for certain till after tomorrow .

Just a case of wait and see again, I'm afraid - but by the time HSBCs 28 days is up the picture should be clearer.

While you're waiting - a bit of light reading for you :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/apr/21/bankcharges.banks?gusrc=rss&feed=money

Cheers

johnny :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...

I have now received from the court a notice that a defence has been filed letter along with an allcation questionaire. It gives me a date to complete the form by and I have to send off another payment with this questionaire. Im getting slightly worried now that i am going to have to go to court. PLease help!

You can claim the AQ fees back along with the 8% interest and court fees belkin - as for going to court, I suspect that your case will be stayed along with the rest, then settled along with the thousands who are waiting in the wings to see what the court / OFT direction will ultimately be......... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit