Letter from Halifax HBOS- Do they really have no obligation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent my 1st letter to the Halifax on the 14th June, had reply today 24th as follows:

Dear Sir /Madam

Completion of Request For a List of Transactions and Charges

I acknowledge your letter requesting specific information on your account with us and confirm that copies of duplicate statements have been ordered and will be sent under seperate cover.

With regard to your request for information relating to manual intervention on your account, HBOS plc is under no statutory obligation to record this information and therefore, I am unable to assist further with your request.

Should you have any general account queries, please contact 24 hour banking on 08457 20 30 40.

Details of how we use your data can be found on the internet under the Security and Privacy section at www.halifax.co.uk or www.bankofscotland.co.uk. If you would like a copy of the registered Data Protection Notification details, this can be found at www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk. Alternatively, please let me know if you would like me to forward a copy of either to you.

Yours sincerley

Adrian Percy

Data Protection Consultant

Business Risk - Retail

I'm a little confused as what to do next.

Cheers

Don't worry about it. It's a standard response. Just wait for your statements and go from there.

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Hi, I'm pretty new to this also but I fully expect a similar reply to my request. I suppose if they cannot show manual intervention and the charges were electronic then they cannot argue that it costs them this extortionate amount in so doing.:)

good luck, you are in a good place.

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

I too have had the same letter 'no statutory obligation' etc. in response to the set letter sent on 14/6/06 So I will do as you suggest and send the details to them when I get them.

Thanks

Pam Neil

Had exactly the same letter this morning. But I have already had my statements for over a week now.

Do I still go ahead, fill in the spreasheet and put in my claim?:confused:

Thanks.

Yes, I would go ahead and send a prelim letter if I were you.

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that under the DPA, they are not actually obliged to provide manual intervention info ? I may be wrong, so don't proclaim this as the truth :lol:

I got the same letter, but i assumed it was a cover for the fact there isn't any maunal intervention! I got all my statements within two days of the letter though, so am about to start spread sheeting! Good luck to everyone!

They can't tell you what manual intervention has taken place because there isn't any! Obviously they can't tell you that though because that would be the final nail in the coffin for this penalty charge business which they have enjoyed for so long.

If you have all the statements then your next step is to tot them all up and send the preliminary approach for payment.

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Yes go ahead fill in the spreadsheet and put in your claim. Everyone has been getting the same letter saying they aren't obliged to record any manual interventions but I suspect as others this is because there are none. Good luck!!

17/5/06 - Halifax -preliminary letter sent

31/5/06 - Halifax - LBA sent

15/6/06 - claim filed

6/7/06 - SETTLED IN FULL £3,306 + £859.95 interest

13/7/06 - Abbey Credit Card - Data Protection Act letter

10/8/06 - Abbey CC Rec £150 gwj £192 oust.

13/8/06 - Abbey CC - prelim letter sent

28/8/06 - Abbey CC - LBA

18/9/06 - Abbey CC - Settled in full - £200 paid

• 1 year later...

Halifax Bank and Bank of Scotland

I just wanted to ask the question WHY do we let the banks get away with taking our money???

I have now closed my account with the halifax after they kept charging me each week.

At the time I was having a few family problems in life and claiming unemplyment bennifit of £51pw yet halifax said that I have to pay there bank charges so each week they took my bennifit off me leaving me NO money to live with I did explain this many times to them but still nothing was done,,, I have to just add here that I have been with the halifax from leaving school im now 39 yrs old,,, In that time 90% of the time I have been working paying in to the bank a lot of money plus I took out amortgage with them witch was paid in full after just 5 yrs,, I held 3 accounts with them and have now close 2 I changed over to HSBC they talk to people as people not money,,,

So the way I look at it is if everyone closes there account then the halifax will have noone to talk down to and treat like **** ...

Plus I got a great deal on my mortgage So why not move your account today as the halifax have NO Customer Service Skills

Speed0121

I would not trust HSBC has far as I could throw them, like you with the Halifax I had several acounts over 20 odd years, first with the Midland as they used to be called then HSBC, however first sign of trouble they plied on the charges and started the harassment

PGH7447

Speed. NO bank has the right to take money from your account when you are in receipt of benefits like JSA, IS, Incapacity Benefit. This is against the 1992 Social Security Act and something called the Right of Appropriation. Getting tired now but tomorrow I will find the thread that will help you unless someone beats me too it. Just hang in there, Sally

If the banks (any of them) are due to take money from your account which is made up of benefits, you should give them this letter beforehand.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/42170-right-appropriation-stop-bank.html

Give it plenty of time. As soon as you get the letter a charge is due.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .