Unpaid council Tax 'COSTS'

scubaTed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We got a nice suprise in the post this morning. A summons to court for unpaid council tax (£45), which we thought had been paid 3 months ago when we last spoke top them. Not only that but they also want £40 costs for sending the letter on yellow paper.

We contacted them and explainerd that we had no problem paying the council and if they'd bothered to conact us in the last few months we would have paid it over the phone, but, we do object to paying any costs especially £40 for a little oink to do what he's paid to do with council tax money.

They refused to back down and said we had to pay the costs as well. Surely in this age of uprore over unfare charges then this sits up there with the worst of them. If we don't pay the costs then they'll take us to court for those. Do we have any comeback against these disproportionate costs with an ombudsman or do we have to pay up and then take our chance against the council inthe small claims court?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really object to paying these costs.

I would put all of this down in writing to the council. Give them a set time to respond and if they don't, ask to invoke their complaints procedure.

If that still doesn't work, you could complain to your local councillor, MP or the local government ombudsman.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

If the debt has not yet gone to court then tomy mind they can only charge the amount outstanding for council tax.

They would have to apply to the Magistrates Court for a Liability Order. The cost of this has recently risen from 70p to £3 but nearly all local authorities charge £65 for issuing this. With 4 million Liability Order granted last year this is a wonderfeul way of bringing new revenue into the council.

In your case if the debt has not been been subject to a Liability Order my advice would be to pay the debt that you say is outstanding and write a letter to the court...or go in person to say the account is clear.

Make sure you get a receipt and keeo a copy of the letter.