• Tweets

• You mention covid holiday in your title.. did you have one and missed or deferred payments?   tell us the story please though a mortgage company rarely refuses for one default.there must be another reason   DX
    • Vodafone have a reputation for doing this although it hasn't happened for a while. There an appalling company and I think they are the most complained about company and have been find quite a lot of money in the past by the so-called regulator. Frankly I thought that they had started to sort themselves out. Sent them an SAR. They may try to impose some kind of obstacle such as a special former something or other to fill in. This is unlawful as long as they have no reason to be dissatisfied with your identity details. Separately – because they are capable of understanding to issues in the same letter – separately send them a letter of complaint and ask them what's going on. You might also want to try and deal with this on the telephone – but if you do then read our customer services guide first and implement the advice there because anything that is said on the telephone could be of use. However, don't expect this to go away quickly. They are incompetent and once they make a mistake they tend to dig themselves in rather than dig themselves out. Sent they SAR – and separately the letter of complaint.
    • Nobody here can say for sure whether you should challenge this penalty or just pay it because nobody knows if a court would consider your reason(s) for not wearing a mask a reasonable excuse or not.   But... my view would be that if you can get a letter from your doctor saying that because of your medical conditions (acne and anxiety) that wearing a mask causes you such distress (and/or discomfort and/or pain) that you have a medically based reasonable excuse for not wearing a mask, then that should do it for you - in my view.   You can then use that letter to challenge the police as to the validity of the fixed penalty, and if they don't back down you can let it go to court - if you want to do that.  I would expect the court to accept your doctor's letter at face value and quash the penalty - but nothing is certain!   Have you given your doctor/your practice notice of what you want and why you need it?  Have you explained that you have already received a fixed penalty for not wearing a mask, that you want to challenge it and that you need a letter explaining your reasonable excuse for not wearing a mask so that this does not happen again?  At my GP surgery I could either have phoned them up to explain all this in advance, or emailed them explaining it.  It might not be a good idea just to turn up for an appointment without letting the GP know in advance why you are there.   If your GP won't give you a "reasonable excuse" letter - and they may refuse to do so - then you need to think again.   First thing to consider if they don't is that you need to decide if you really have a reasonable excuse or not.  If you still think you do, then you need to decide if you want to challenge the penalty further or if you just want to pay it.  But if you do that, what happens next time* you are caught without a mask?  If you don't think you have a reasonable excuse, then you'd better start wearing a mask.   *If you can't get a GP's letter I have a few other thoughts but will have to post those later - I'm just going out.
    • It will be very helpful if you could space your posts a bit more. Well space makes it much easier for people to engage with – especially when they are looking at it on a small screen. I'm not sure how long ago was that curries could ever have been considered an excellent retailer. They've always been curmudgeonly about their customer support. All I can say is that there were times when they were maybe a better retailer because at the moment things are very bad with them. If you used have an account here then maybe we can merge them if you still have access to the old email address that you used. We weren't around in the eighties. We started in 2006. I don't see why you think that your previous history with curries should influence their standard of customer-dealing with you. Big Fail. Also, yes – failure to use a credit card – Big Fail.   I've had a look at your letter of claim. I can't believe that this is the standard of stuff provided by Which magazine. It really is verbose and goes into all sorts of irrelevant details – and in case you haven't understood it yet, Currys don't care about the problems they have caused you, whether or not their behaviour is unacceptable, your level of exasperation – you attempt to be reasonable to them by proposing some kind of negotiation (what on earth is there to negotiate here? You paid 100% of the money and you want 100% of what you paid for. Is there a problem with that?) Have you sent this letter of claim yet? You better let us see your proposed particulars of claim before you click them off. I have no idea why you went to Which – when you know that we exist and you've been here before.     Also, I have just noticed that you have given them 28 days to respond. Bless!
    • Yep, should have made sure all were defaulted, sucked up the bad credit for 6 years (which I had anyway) .
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3497 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having a paaaaarty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

with the snail

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

slightly cracked on

the inside but

Struggling_Simon vs Cabot - WON

Struggling_Simon vs Abbey - WON

Struggling_Simon vs HBOS - Pending

--------------------------------------------

IF I HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit

Somper in excretia,som solem profundus variat.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

passable as a

chamberpot and other

Struggling_Simon vs Cabot - WON

Struggling_Simon vs Abbey - WON

Struggling_Simon vs HBOS - Pending

--------------------------------------------

IF I HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit

Somper in excretia,som solem profundus variat.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

the underside of

reached the very

could not reach