Continuing Care

Cymraeg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't want to hijack Rob S' or Recompense41's threads , so I'll start another,

along the lines of the other members.We have today been told that our relative cannot be discharged home and must now go into a nursing home/residential care. All a bit sketchy at the moment,but reading the other posts,it looks like we're in for a bit of a fight.

I want to start getting things right from the off,so any advice as to what I should be doing now will be gratefully received.

Not sure as to whether living in Wales has it's own guidelines/rules. (Our part of the NHS is in a right mess as it is.)

TIA

First of all, have the hospital stated that they will be carrying out a continuing care assessment? If not, ask them if they intend to do so, it is something they have to do. If they try and say it is not required insist on it.

Secondly, a new national framework for assessing eligibility for continuing care comes in to effect on the 1st October and it replaces all the others that have been used by Primary Care Trusts and Strategic Health Authorities up to now. It means there is one criteria instead of the 28 that were previously in existence, but it is new and untested and I have no doubt the PCT's will have their own spin on it.

Yes, it will be a hard battle but there are plenty out there who are fighting it and will give you support. I don't know if you have found this site yet but there is lots of info on it which will assist you:-

NHS funded Continuing Care and the Coughlan case

Don't let them fob you off with lies, challenge everything and accept nothing until you have been able to verify the information they give you. They will do their damndest to convince you it is a social care issue and not health care, but stick to your guns.

PS What type of home have they said your relative will have to go into?

Find out what type of care you need to look at first, is it nursing care the relative needs or is it residential? (your social worker will tell you), if you havent got a social wrker I would strongly advise you get one, a lot of homes now will not take any resident usually without the intervention of one. when you know what category of care you are looking for, your sw should give you a list of local homes of which you can view, although again, I would advise you ring them first (the homes on the list) to see if a) they do the category of care and b) any vacancies. Any homes you do visit, try to avoid mealtimes as the staff will be concentrating on the residents and wont be able to give you their full attention and explain things to you. If it is nursing care, then Rob S has made a valid point about continuing care - ask for an assessment. Find out the fees of what the home charges - cheapest is not always best.

Good luck

As far as we're aware,no formal assessment has been carried out yet. For about a week they (the ward team) have been saying that she's not fit to live at home (alone). She has had carers calling on her up until her fall , but now she needs residential care of a sort. We are under the impression that we have to look at EMI homes in the area. At a previous meeting, the SS area controller had attended but I would have thought that a 'lower' position than herself would be appointed as 'care manager' , or another social worker would be appointed to our relative's case.

I've looked thru a few sites and taking it all in is a bit bemusing all at once. I've asked another relative who's another step back from this to look at some info for me,in case I'm getting confused. Up until now we've signed nothing and have gone along with the ward.

"Secondly, a new national framework for assessing eligibility for continuing care comes in to effect on the 1st October and it replaces all the others that have been used by Primary Care Trusts and Strategic Health Authorities up to now. It means there is one criteria instead of the 28 that were previously in existence, but it is new and untested and I have no doubt the PCT's will have their own spin on it."

Is this nationwide , or only in England?

Sorry if I'm appearing thick :Cry:

Thanks for that link Rob S

I've got a feeling now that they'll wait until Monday until they start anything so that everything will then apply to the new guidelines. Easier for all than changing the rules halfway thru'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cymraeg

I just wanted to wish you all the best in your fight with the NHS/social services. I've found the information on this forum and others to be invaluable in arming me with the right information and advice. Do keep us posted as to how it goes.

Dee