Any advice please?

callumsgran
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have suffered with a bad back for 25 yrs since having an epidural when giving birth to my daughter.

Also have recurring ligament trouble and the odd bout of sciatica.

I recently went to my new doc (as ive recently moved) because i have had a different back pain in recent months (it feels like i have something pressing on my spine) and was worried. My doctor after doing various tests said i now have arthritis in my spine.

My concern now is i wont be able to continue my work as a care assistant, the only thing i have experience in, so what do i do?

I am currently claiming JSA as i have been unable to find work since moving, but i know with the back problem i will not be able to work full-time with it

Any advice appreciated

TIA

Incapacity Benefit

There are 3 types of incapacity benefit that determine how much benefit you can get; all amounts depend on your individual circumstances. Incapacity benefit can be claimed if you aren't able to receive statutory sick pay from your employer or you are out of work. The types of incapacity benefit are:

• Short term incapacity benefit at a lower rate - when you have been off work for a period of 4 days and aren't able to claim statutory sick pay, you could expect to receive approximately £57.65p/w.
  • Short-term incapacity benefit at a higher rate - you could claim approximately £68.20p/w if you have been unable to work through illness for more than 28 days but less than 52 weeks.
  • Long term incapacity benefit - approximately £76.45 paid each week if you have been off sick for more than 52 weeks.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance or DLA is offered to those who have mobility restrictions to help those who require help getting around. Anyone after 5 years old and up to the retirement age can receive disability living allowance. You must have required help for at least 3 months and are likely to need it for a further 6 months, in order to claim. The amount you would receive largely depends on how much your disability affects your day-to-day life.

If you receive either of those, you should also apply for housing/council tax benefits. If you get DLA, an adult living with you may be able to claim carer's allowance, but that is a taxable benefit and the carer can only earn a small amount (£80-something) per week on top of CA (should they wish to do so)

If you choose to apply for DLA, you need to send for the CA forms separately, and not delay, they are treated as 2 separate things (which they are, really). I have seen lots of parent carers missing on CA for weeks and weeks, assuming that they went together, hence my warning.

I'm sure I have forgotten plenty of things, hopefully, someone else will fill in the gaps. :-)

DLA and Incapacity seem to be the best options in this case. Do remember that they don't seem to like awarding DLA so if you're knocked back make sure you appeal it! They'll get the message eventually and if you need help with the wording on the forms pop down to welfare rights or CAB. A few things to remember when filling out the form: always make sure you're writing about your worst day, get someone who knows you well to fill in the statement from a carer (my mum done mine) because doctors will just write generic statements and if they want your doctors input they'll ask for it. Don't worry if it seems to be taking forever, they're about as fast as a week in jail that lot and they backdate it to the date you first applied.

If you're in Scotland and get the care component of DLA then you're entitled to a bus pass regardless of your age, if you get middle or high rate you get a plus one card to let you travel free with a carer.

Remember that DLA is not a taxable benefit and it doesn't matter how much you have in the bank or how much you or your partner earn. If you do work part time in the future you can claim the disabled element of working tax credits when you work 16 hours or more per week.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

For filling in forms, remember to say "severe discomfort", not "pain". Pain is seen as manageable (painkillers), severed discomfort is not. Believe it or not, it makes a difference in how a claim is viewed.

As Jen says, make sure you describe the worst case scenario. If it takes you sometimes 10 mns to go to the shop, sometimes 20, write down 20. If sometimes you need help to get out of bed, sometimes not, write down that you do. Etc... A lot of the questions are repetitive and by the time you're finished, you'll want to cry at how badly you make yourself sound, but it is the only way. Trust me, it is worse when you have to describe your child and that the only way not to get knocked back is to describe him as a helpless monster. :-(

• Haha 1

Thanks a lot Bookie and Jen.

I think i may try for incapacity benefit as i do think i could go back to part-time work because as of now my back isnt too bad (i have good days and bad) but i know if i did a full day in a nursing home i'd be crippled myself at the end of it.

The Jobcentre said to claim JSA i have to be prepared to work full time, and i honestly dont feel i could so i think incapacity is the way to go!

Thanks again you two!:)

Good luck CG, if you need help along the way just post up and someone will be along to help, we've all been there at some point.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

• 4 weeks later...

It's worth trying - follow bookies advice on telling them about your worst days and not your best.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

callumsgran - have you thought of trying to get a HCSW job in a hospital? I'm sure they would snap you up with your experience and the moving and handling requirements are very different to nursing homes. I bu**ered my back in nursing homes but have been 100% better since working in the hospital. I worked as an agency carer for many years in many different nursing homes and found the manual handling required absolutely shocking :-o I would never work in one again.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

It might be worthwhile checking out the new RCN website - it has a lot more about empoyment and diversity - if you have a look or give them a ring, they may well be able to give you some "careers advice" as it were.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just to update this

I have been on IB for nearly a year now and am signed off until at least next june after seeing a doctor from Atos Origin

I recently applied for DLA as my mobility is really not good and my husband (bless him) has to do a lot of things for me now, ive also last week been told i have a mild case of IBS

Well i have been turned down on both components and am going to appeal it

I have an appointment with an advisor at CAB next friday, the same lady who helped me fill the original form out

Any advice anyone can give will be gratefully received

Many thanks

Our natural instinct, unless a raging hypochondriac, is to play down one's difficulties. With DLA, that is sadly counter-productive. :-(

Where they say "how long does it take you to...", if sometimes it takes you 10 mns, sometimes 1/2 hour, write 1/2 hr. Where they ask "how many times a night/week..." if sometimes it's once, and sometimes it's 5, write 5, etc etc... Don't overlook the small stuff as unimportant, it's what builds up the picture.

Sorry, just realised I've already told you this higher up, that will teach me to re-read threads first, lol. If you did it that way, then you can't really add much to it, in which case the appeal tribunal is probably going to be your best bet. :-(

PS: IBS is unlikely to help you with your case, loads of people have it and whilst a bloody nuisance, it's hardly likely to be debilitating in a manner that would support your application for DLA, unless of course, your existing condition makes the IBS less manageable than if you were fully able-bodied (toilet issues, for example...) in which case do add it as yet another way in which your disability makes it harder for you to lead a regular life.

You should definately see someone from welfare rights if you can, I want to say that IBS with lowered mobility due to back problems may be an issue but you never know how they'll look at it. Best you can do is appeal and get them to relook at the award

• 9 months later...