TOPSHOP PPI? Can I claim back what I have paid over 4 years?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I saw Martin Lewis talking about PPI's on GMTV last week, I wondered does this include Store cards.

I have had a TOPSHOP card (GE MONEY) since March 2003, I did not realise I was paying for the PPI on it until earlier this year. I phoned up and cancelled it.

However I know I have been paying for this since I signed up to the card 4 years ago. I have no idea how much I have paid on this insurance but I think it was always a percentage of the balace (maybe 2%) and my balance has always been over £500, is it worth me trying to get the statements from TOPSHOP to check this out? Do I have a case?

I claimed back my bank charges earlier in the year, and wondered if this TOPSHOP PPI is acheivable?

PLEASE HELP?

Many thanks,

Donna

Well you ask if you have a case - but you havent said on what basis really. Are you claiming you were mis-sold? Or that the policy was forced?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

In that case you potentially have a claim. First stage is to get a) statements, and b) your initial agreement, to see if you did in fact sign up for the PPI.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Thanks for this.

Ok, how easy is it to get the statements dating back to 2003, and the intial agreement? Is it worth me sending a letter asking for the statements and intial agreement and do I mention PPI in my letter, being the reason for this request?

Its a SAR (Subject Access Request) - they must legally release them under the data protection act. Have a look on the forums for a template letter - plenty about SARs on here.

• 1 month later...

I have finally received my statements from Topshop, (GE Money) and I have added up the account cover or PPI charges from April 2003 till this year, Totaling £284.68. I also have a copy of the agreement which I signed and there is a box which I have signed requesting account cover, however It does not tell me what this account cover includes, or what I am eligable for?

What it does say is:

REMEMBER TO ADD ACCOUNT COVER TO YOUR APPLICATION IT GIVES PEACE OF MIND!

• Purchase protection

• Price protection

• Payment protection

• Cost just 1p for every pound on your monthly balance

for more information please see the customer copy of this credit agreement.

I do remember applying for the card and at the time I was unemployed, I think I even have a copy of a redundancy letter dated to prove this, would this help get my money back? There was not even a tick box on the form to say if I was employed at the time?

Can I still send a template letter off?

PLEASE HELP! Many thanks!

XX

I have finally received my statements from Topshop, (GE Money) and I have added up the account cover or PPI charges from April 2003 till this year, Totaling £284.68. I also have a copy of the agreement which I signed and there is a box which I have signed requesting account cover, however It does not tell me what this account cover includes, or what I am eligable for?

What it does say is:

I do remember applying for the card and at the time I was unemployed, I think I even have a copy of a redundancy letter dated to prove this, would this help get my money back? There was not even a tick box on the form to say if I was employed at the time?

Can I still send a template letter off?

PLEASE HELP! Many thanks!

XX

Hello Donna,

I would have a go, it will only cost you the price of recorded delivery, so nothing ventured nothing gained.

I do think that they will argue on the basis that you ticked the box for the cover and then signed the agreement.

You can argue that you were unaware what it actually was, no extra information was given to you, no policies ever received you were unemployed at the time, therefore the ppi was of no use to you.

Good luck and keep us posted

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

• 4 years later...

Hi Donna,

I was just wondering did you have any success with the claim? I am in a similar situation. I was a student when I opened a Topshop card and was strongly recommended to take out the account cover premium and felt like I could not say no, that it was compulsory with the account but did not actually understand it. I was thinking about making a claim and was wondering if you had any luck. I have all of my statements thankfully 2004-9. The account is now closed.

Hi Donna,

I was just wondering did you have any success with the claim? I am in a similar situation. I was a student when I opened a Topshop card and was strongly recommended to take out the account cover premium and felt like I could not say no, that it was compulsory with the account but did not actually understand it. I was thinking about making a claim and was wondering if you had any luck. I have all of my statements thankfully 2004-9. The account is now closed.

This is a very old thread...start a new thread in the PPI forum and we'll help you with your claim

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS