Taxman wants access to bank accounts!

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just spotted this article. This would give us less control over our own bank accounts and cost us even more in charges. Scandalous!! Taxman wants to swipe money direct from bank accounts - Tax | Inheritance tax | Income tax | Tax returns - MSN Money UK

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It's these people who's bank accounts they should be raiding.

Tax savings: only the rich need apply | Business | The Observer

Instead of chasing the small minority of easy targets, their time would be better spent chasing the big fish and would reap better rewards. Athough for me the idea of making monthly payments would be far better than the six monthly ones at present.

Capitalism is the legitimate racket

of the ruling class.

Al Capone

So as usual the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Sounds like a Tory Government policy.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

In my country the government (tax enforcement authorities) already have got access to everybodys bank accounts

They can check your incomings / outgoings , everything really to see if you have additional money coming in that may not be taxed.

Equally if you are sending large amounts abroad etc

They have total visibility and can get all details from your bank without you even knowing this

Well that sounds more like big brother watching you. Can they help themselves to any tax due though Phantom?

I guess I can see the merit in that to a degree, because people should pay taxes, but it does seem an infringement of civil rights. Certainly those against ID cards would be horrified. If you are open in your dealings though, you have nothing to fear from investigation. In theory anyway.:cool:

I just dont understand this country - all this will do is encourage one of our biggest problems - cash payments for jobs.

We all I am sure know this happens all the time - these people are avoiding tax and then claiming tax credits as well.

all caused by an overcomplicated tax system - where once you are in - you get taxed on everything - then with what you have left you try and save - or invest in your home and get taxed again !

We should encourage a simplified system - lift the tax bands - lower the rate - then have a large flat band of say 15% - to encourage those who work hard or start small businesses - then instead of paying tax credits - take the lower paid out of the tax bracket all together- but then concentrate on coming down HEAVILY on those who abuse the system -

then stop paying child benefit to children who are not resident in this country (yes it is happening now)

I think if all "cash paid" jobs were under this system it would plug a big black hole.

We would not need big brother tactics then.

Oh no I forgot that would put thousands of civil servants out of work:cry: :rolleyes:

Sorry silly idea.:p

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

the tax man has access to anything accounts etc,it has always been the case they dont need a warrant for this they are the untouchables customs and excise have powers way beyond the police this is something they rely on i am almost sure they can have you incarcerated without trial for so many days they are above magna carta that means nothing to them...but its always been like this since the drug enforcement laws in the early sisxties .....

I don't condone tax evasion, or benefit fraud, but for some people working cash in hand can be vital, and the system does not always encourage people to work.

I once worked in a place where a lady took on a full time job, because she wanted to come off benefits and support herself. Her was actually worse off. Where's the incentive to work then?

Also, when times are hard, cash in hand can be a lifeline. I'm not talking about routinely taking benefits and working 40+ hours a week as a matter of course, but working a few hours now and again to be able to pay some bills when you can't make ends meet. If the money's declared, it's taken off your benefits.

I agree that it is crazy to tax people on one hand and then give it back to them in tax credits. Far better for people's dignity to let them earn a decent wage, pay a reasonable amount of tax, and not need to apply cap in hand to have it back again.

I agree -thats partly what i am saying - because of the system it is too tempting - and is common place

my husband was made redundant when i was pregnant with our second child. And after nearly 12 months of searching took a job which paid £3000 p.a less than we were receiving on benefits.

What I think i am trying to say is I am sure we all know people that are abusing the system because it is punative and complicated -

And I know the taxman has to have powers - but the Big brother scenario would not be necessary if the system was simplified and fairer.

I think what has made me mad today is reading things like this - when it has also been revealed we are paying benefits to children in eastern european countries whose fathers are working here.

what is going on?

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

And at the same time allowing the country to be a haven for the super-rich from abroad. Crazy.

Parents are faced with a tough choice,

1 you both work full time, drop your children off at nursery at 8, pick them up at 6 and are faced with an enormous childcare bill that you cannot claim back because you earn to much

2 reduce your hours, earn less and have time to be there for your children while the state picks up the bill for childcare?

The system is wrong, but I know which one I'd choose.

Capitalism is the legitimate racket

of the ruling class.

Al Capone