received a bill after removal of pre-payment meter?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had my pre payment meters removed as I owed nothing on them and had just not got around to changing it, however, have received an electric bill for nearly a hundred pounds?

on enquiring I was informed it was because the price of the electric had changed but they did not alter the meter? is this plausible, I thought they could control the amount supplied, certainly over the years the amount for arrears was changed. I just dont want to send all that money without being sure why they want it.

advice much appreciated

now received a red bill so need to respond quickly!:)

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

thanks for your reply, I had some arrears which were cleared and also understand the standing charge is also included but I did not realise that if the price of electric changed, ie. went up that they had to physically alter the meter in some way, I thought surely they would just supply a different amount for the unit price, if you see what I mean, and I would end up paying more because less unit energy was received than before. I just do not understand their explanation on the phone to me, that they did not increase the price to the meter and so I now owe them money??

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

thanks, thats what I thought, you just get less units of elec for your money if their price goes up, I will challenge them again but they are threatening legal action for this money.

The only way I can see it building up a charge is if it is left doing nothing for a couple of weeks and still connected to the supply if it's an older type and then I would assume that it continues to add a daily charge.

New types with an LED display have a battery in them so can continue to accumulate daily charges.

When they installed the new meter, did they leave the old meter. If it is the newer type then it will continue to accumulate charges (unless the battery is disconnected) even in the van and if it was left on the van for a week or two and then in the depot for a week or two it will have false charges.

I can't see why this should happen as your new quarterly meter should have taken over on the day it was installed.

You really need to ask them how these charges have accumulated, in writting preferably.

I had one of these meters on a garage I rented and when I took it over it had almost -£90 on it which would have ment me puting a £100 on and be left with £10. I phoned them and asked them to reset it to zero before I started to use it.

The Electricity Regulator is aware of this, and the problem stems from the meter charging the incorrect amount in cash terms as any cost increase need to be programmed into the meter. The electric companies have been very lax in doing this, and the regulator has demanded changes. New meters are now being fitted that will receive the latest cost information each time a new key is used (unlike at present). You may get a goodwill gesture if you shout at them enough, but the bottom line - the electricity consumed was not wholly paid for - means they are entitled to their money. Do do otherwise would have consumers subsidising others.

Hi conniff, yes, newer type with led display, the bill has been worked out re the old meter not the new non pre pay ie. credit meter. subsidising? not sure about that, as prepayments meters are notorious for overcharging I thought.

You need to define 'overcharging'. The cost of providing electricity is in itself at a higher tariff to cover the administration of staged payments and the meter, however since credit accounts can have the date change increase calculated within a reasonable margin, the old pre-pay meters cannot... hence the problem of supplying electricity at less than the tariff rate.

• 1 month later...

National Energy Action : Policy & Research : Policy position papers : Prepayment Meters

just updating here, not received a reply on my query so chasing this one up with previous supplier (having discussed it with ofgem)