Up to My Eyes

SickofAbbey

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some help. I went on maternity leave last year (Half pay) and just at the end of my leave my now husband was laid off work. He tried to claim jobseekers allowance (contributions based) but was told that because he was partly self employed he hadn't paid enough Class 1 contributions.

I rang and asked how people who never worked a day in their life were entitled to benefits and they said they claim Jobseekers allowance (Income based). I asked if we could claim that and was asked if I worked. I told them that I did and they asked how many hours (29) they said that because I worked more than 16 hours per week then it was up to me to financially support him (and 3 children) . I told them that I couldn't do that and they told me to try Working Tax Credit. We have not been entitled to this in the past as our wages exceed the limit. I rang them anyway and was told that because both our wages had exceeded £15,000 from April to December we couldn't claim it but that they were taking the childcare element away as my husband was no longer working he should be looking after my middle son who attended a local playgroup for social reasons!!

Anyway, things got majorly out of hand. He had no income whatsoever and we fell behind with all of our payments including the mortgage. I went to my local branch of Abbey who told my husband to get a bar job! (He is a building contractor and does make good money when he works)

As you can imagine the charges started piling on our accounts. Currently going through court sytem to claim them back)

We have a mortgage with abbey (currently £1100 in arrears) I have an unsecured personal loan with abbey (£10,000 plus int) 3 accounts with Abbey (£2000 o/d in total) Credit Card with Abbey (£1600) Next (£200). I've tried explaining our situation to them all and have written them letters with a budget sheet.

They weren't really sypmathetic. Anyway he got another job and things were looking up but he got laid off and I couldn't make any payments. MBNA are now hounding me at work and I'm frightened to answer the phone.

What can I do, he is working again but we are trying to get back on our feet.

Incidentally our mortgage deal has expired and when I rang up to see if I could change it because the interest rate had shot up Abbey said no because we were in arrears and had to wait 6 months from the arrears being clear before we could apply for a new deal.

I know this is a lot to take in but any help would be appreciated.

What can I do, he is working again but we are trying to get back on our feet.

I am really pleased to hear that you are now getting back on your feet.

There are a whole list of letters here that might help.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

As most of your debts are with Abbey, can i assume that you bank with them also ?.

If so, they will see that your finances are improving and might back off a bit.

What you must do is prioritize your repayments.

1.Mortgage.

2.Mortgage arrears.

3.Highest interest repayment.

The unsecured debts, allthough important, should not cause you to lose your house.

Time is going to be your biggest healer right now.

Dont expect to much sympathy from them.

You will be ok.

Keep us posted.

Good luck.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Thanks

I did bank/have everything with Abbey but when things got so out of hand with the charges (£300 per month) I opened a basic account with Nat West and all of our money goes there now.

I have made an arrangement with the mortgage and am paying the arrears off £100 per month on top of my usual mortgage payment. I'm worried that I may have to declare myself bankrupt and lose my home.

No I haven't with Next but I will do it today.

Its the most horrible feeling in the world to be where you are just now, I have been there and dont want to go back thank you, there is light at the end of the tunnel and things will get better, I have had a lot of help from this site and the wounderful people here and Im sure you will be given the same help and support.

Keep ya chin up I hope things improve quickly for you.

Take Care,

Brecken xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry to hear about your troubles, hae you got children to support, if you have then go the citizen advice bureau and maybe they will advise you what to do next. It is not just your home others members of family may be involved as well.

hope you will be able to get it sorted out soon

Thanks for all of your kind words.

Yes I have 3 boys aged 9, 3 and 1. The worst of it is that I was such a good creditor until the turn of this year when things just got out of hand. It really hasn't helped the fact that my husband had no income. I get so frustrated when I think that both of us have worked hard all our lives and paid our taxes yet if we didn't we would get help with our mortgage, council tax etc. We didn't even get a discount on our council tax because I worked.

I feel sick half of the time worryng about it. I have never been in this position before and thankfully he is working but its hard trying to get on your feet when you are so far behind with everything.

Due to the complexity of your query I would consider calling one of the free charitable debt-help organisations like National Debtline or CCCS.

Are you claiming Child Tax Credits? Have you informed them of any your changes in your circumstances?

Yes I did but I never got any letters from them telling me what I was entitled to. Everytime I rang them I mentioned it and was told different things off different people. I told them I wanted it noted on my file incase they tried to come back and say I owed them money when I couldn't check what they were paying me for.

One person wouldn't speak to me because I got an answer to his security question wrong about what I was receiving. When I told him that I didn't know because I never received any letters he put the phone down!

Our money changed slightly but not by a great deal as my part time wage alone exceeded the maximum amount for working tax credits.

Why not write to the Manager of Abby as it is always better to put it in writing and them about your change in circumstances and it will not before long until you are back on your feet. also advised them that you are taking going to seek legal advice by way of CAB. I am sure this will do the trick as they will not want to be seen as unreasonable about this and they will want to keep you as a customer.

It would be a good idea to seek advice from your MB or a councilor and they will also be able to help especially as you have got a family to consider.

best of luck

Yes I did but I never got any letters from them telling me what I was entitled to. Everytime I rang them I mentioned it and was told different things off different people.

DONT give up.

Could you not find an hour or so of your time to go in sort things out personally. ?

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

I did bank/have everything with Abbey but when things got so out of hand with the charges (£300 per month) I opened a basic account with Nat West and all of our money goes there now.

Have you also set the ball rolling to reclaim these charges.?

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for all your help. Yes I've just had my claim for bank charges stayed this morning by the judge, however, she did award me costs of £50 because abbey had not filed their application for a stay before this morning!

Things could be looking up!