HSBC/NCO Europe ltd

chno9
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

After checking my credit file recently i found an old HSBC debt that i had totally forgotten about. The debt relates to an old account that HSBC closed as i was over drawn and in real financial difficulties.

I am looking to buy a house with my OH sometime next year, and have been tring to tidy my credit file so when i do come to apply for a mortgage it will lokk better than it does currently.

Anywho

As i mentioned the debt was held with HSBC.

My credit file shows NCO Europe, Default date 30/04/03, last updated 01/06/07.

I have not received any correspondance about this debt since 18/01/06 (1 letter from Scotcall)

I was planning on sending a CCA to NCO to let them prove they own the debt.

Is this the right course of action?

Sorry for the long post

Hello

After checking my credit file recently i found an old HSBC debt that i had totally forgotten about. The debt relates to an old account that HSBC closed as i was over drawn and in real financial difficulties.

I am looking to buy a house with my OH sometime next year, and have been tring to tidy my credit file so when i do come to apply for a mortgage it will lokk better than it does currently.

Anywho

As i mentioned the debt was held with HSBC.

My credit file shows NCO Europe, Default date 30/04/03, last updated 01/06/07.

I have not received any correspondance about this debt since 18/01/06 (1 letter from Scotcall)

I was planning on sending a CCA to NCO to let them prove they own the debt.

Is this the right course of action?

Sorry for the long post

A CCA is the right course of action if you want them to prove they have the right to collect the debt. You admit to owing it, so I was wondering what you were trying to achieve here...Can you shed some more light please?

Just hate every DCA out there

Forget about sending a CCA to NCO as they are renowned for ignoring ANY letters, unless they contain money.

Hit HSBC with a SAR and start reclaiming the account charges, I'm convinced that these will cancel any outstanding debt owed.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

I agree with Ben. I had an Amex ac that was passed to RMAI (part of NCO Europe) and paid them for almost 2 years (£12 K). I then found this site and sent off a SAR, they only partially replied and when I then requested the CCA request - I received no replies to 12 letters. I stopped paying them and that got their attention, I found that they do respond to e-mail's though.

I even had one of their staff basically plead with me to continue paying so that they did not have to send the debt back to Amex! I said no, it went back to Amex who then sent it to their Solicitors who just offered 50% to settle, I have offered 10% as full and final settlement. Awaiting response.

The OC may be worth approaching, NCO don't even seem to be phased by TS or the FOS, they are a joke and a nasty one at that.

A CCA is the right course of action if you want them to prove they have the right to collect the debt. You admit to owing it, so I was wondering what you were trying to achieve here...Can you shed some more light please?

I wanted to find out if NCO really do have a right to be claiming the debt. After reading about various tactics DCA are using i certainly want to be 100% sure before i part with any money.

Forget about sending a CCA to NCO as they are renowned for ignoring ANY letters, unless they contain money.

Hit HSBC with a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and start reclaiming the account charges, I'm convinced that these will cancel any outstanding debt owed.

If i send a SAR to Hsbc and start reclaiming charges will this also mean the account is in dispute?

Also if i do this will it act as an admission that the debt is owed, before i can see what charges have been levied?

Sorry, am tired, i'm off to bed will pick this back up tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just wanted to get opinions.

If i S.A.R Hsbc, how can i ask for this if i no longer have the account, Account number, or any other details relating to this (apart from the reference on my credit file).

If i CCA NCO europe, and they ignore this as it has been suggested, would this not be a good thing as they are commiting an offence in doing so?

Any opinions?

Have been reading around this and have just realised that this is infact a overdraft. It was with HSBC, the account closed years ago, and i am unsure how much (if any) was left to pay.

I would like to continue pursuing this and was wondering if the same applies, i.e CCA. Would they need to supply me with some kind of signed agreement? If not what would be the next step? SAR?

Thanks

Normally a CCA for an overdraft should produce the letter authorising the overdraft.

Now you mentioned the fact you couldn't remember the account details for HSBC, well for a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) it doesn't really matter as they are meant to give ALL the information that they hold concerning you.

I'd still CCA NCO as they are probably too stupid to realise they are on to a looser here ;)

If i sent a SAR request to HSBC, how would they be able to identify me as me?

What information would they need?

I am no longer at the address that i was in whilst the account was running. I think you are right with NCO, and it is these clowns i really need to tackle as they are the ones that are hurting my credit report by updating it every month.

Hi all, I'm new here and have had some long experience of NCO europe, certainly they are a real threat to peoples sanity when they are trying to cope with all of the stress of being in debt.

But listen to this one I am absolutely astounded.

I have a debt with capital one, they passed it to NCO and I have paid them every month for the last 7 years. Although it is only £20. I have moved a couple of times, since I lost the house and everything else. But have managed ok. So I thought its only fair that I try to pay them (and everyone else) back. I never informed them of where I was living, I'm a musician so move around a lot. Just kept paying, then one of the addresses of a friend I had stayed with for some time started getting letters addressed to me. I opened a couple and they were the usual threats, bailiffs, court etc. I couldn't really understand it.

One how the hell did they know I had been living at that address. I noticed the cheques I was sending had not been cashed. Kept sending the cheques, non of them cashed for four month. I new they had relocated from somewhere in London as it had their new address on the threatening letters. Anyway played dumb about the letters ignored them as the minute I responded they would bombard my friend who kindly let me live there for six month with calls and threats.

I called them and asked why they hadn't cashed the cheques, the woman asked me to answer two security questions, I refused and stated I needed to know why they weren't cashing cheques that I had sent to them, I asked "have you moved, have you had post sent on from your old address if you have" nothing, just silence, I said, "I have kept up this agreement for 7 years and you are not cashing the cheques" I got a reply which was "I can't talk to you if you dont answer the questions" I just said "Ok I will keep sending the cheques to the original address if you dont cash them its your problem"

What sort of company is this, weird really weird, just long silences when I asked questions, then two security questions. Not sure what to do now, maybe I will just keep sending cheques for them to ignore.

Anyway thanks for listening. Keep up the good work, you help so many people and give them hope, Curly Ben seems the most informed person on the planet. Thanks for all the help.

NCO are really "nice people" they follow every legal request to the letter and genuinely try and help their "customers" ........ NOT !!!!!

First NEVER talk to these "people" on the phone as they will try and get you to agree to anything.

Before you even think about making any sort of acknowledgement or payment to a DCA you MUST ensure that they have the LEGAL right to collect the debt.

This is achieved by requesting a copy of the Signed, Executed Credit Agreement via a Consumer Credit Act (CCA) request.

There is a template letter to be found here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Letter N.

Is it important to start the letter:

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY in Big Bold letters.

It is best to send this request via recorded/special delivery as there are some inportant deadlines to observe.

After 12 WORKING days the "debt" is in default and stays that way until the request is complied with.

If a FURTHER month passes then the DCA has committed a summary criminal offence and the matter should be referred to Trading Standards for action.

I hope this clarifies some things.

Right then,

I'm off to CCA NCO, and at the same time SAR HSBC for all the info they hold on me.

I'll keep updating as i progress through this.

Thanks for the advice, esp crurlyben.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just an update.

I have just received my reply to the SAR to HSBC.

They have said that they can find no record of the account. They have returned the payment for the SAR, and asked for me to provide the account number.

As i do not have the acc number, i had given them the address that i was at when the account was closed. The only thing that i can think of doing is sending the SAR back with the address that the account was opened at.

Would anyone know what to do here. I am a bit surprised by the fact that they have no record of an account with the last known address provided.:confused:

Don't know if I've remembered this correctly but I seem to recall being told that the Banking Association website has a facility to check dormant, closed or redundant accounts, even if you can't remember an account number.

It might be worth a trawl of the website to see if it's there.

Thanks

I'll see if i can find details this way.

Is this not a bit backwards, me having to search for details of an account that HSBC themselves can't find, and that they say i owe money on?

Surely if they claim that i owe them money there should be a record of why?

• 2 months later...

Have received a letter today from HSBC saying that they have now found the dormant account, and that to have any further dealings involving the account i must now go to the branch to prove who i am.

This is all a bit strange.

They claim i owe them money (via NCO europe)

I ask them to prove this by supplying details of account, they fail to respond. When they do finally respond they said they could not find any details relating to the account and asked for more info.

I supplied the relevant info, and after approx 3 months they have now said that they have found the details and that i need to prove who i say i am at a branch.

Is this right? What would you do? I want to get this sorted, and removed from my file.

Chno, have you sent them an official SAR and requested EVERYTHING that they hold on you.

I think this would certainly be the next course of action to take.

DON'T limit yourself simply to transaction, but request ALL information, a FULL SAR.

Hi Curlyben

I have sent them a SAR, they have then replied with the above response. And i have requested all details they hold, every last thing.

My query really lies with them asking to prove who i say i am. This is the bit i don't understand. They appear to find it perfectly fine to divulge my information to a company such as NCO, and allow them to do what they wish with this. However when i (the account holder) ask for information relating to this they initially can't find anything, and require more info, when this is supplied they require further proof. They'll be asking for a DNA test and a paternity test from my parents next in order to prove i am who i say i am.

I couldn't care, but it seems that i am the one who owes them money. Anyone would think they didn't want it.