How Does One Become A Site Helper Or A Mod?

Guest littlesally
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest littlesally

This is in no way meant to antagonise anyone one but I am curious?

I notice some very helpful people, with loads of "thank you" blobs and loads of helpful posts that aren't S.H or mods.

Then there's other's that have few posts that are S.H's.

Some with only a few blobs yet masses of posts.

Some with loads of blobs yet very few posts.

Some only joined a few weeks ago that are S.H's.

Some who joined at the beginning that aren't.

Some mods who seem to only be in the Bear garden.

I have previously asked about the blob system, but no-one who knew replied. And now I don't care, but I would like to know about site helper's and mods.

I hope someone will reply as being a S.H or a mod carries with it a certain responsibility as it is a promotion.

Please would someone tell me what goes into this decision to put someone in a position of trust.

As I have said, this is not aimed at anyone and I don't want it to turn in to slagging off the "staff".

Sally x

You cannot ask that question, it is like asking the banks how they calculate their charges. ;)

More seriously, you will find some explanation here.

To my mind there is no rigid criteria.

There is absolutely no good reason why this thread should not be a peaceful one, so could users not post anything hostile.

• Haha 1

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Hmmm, let's see. I'm not sure that you could call being asked to be a Site Helper a 'promotion'. In fact, about 40% of the people who are asked actually decline. The people who are asked to become Site Helpers have always shown that they are willing to help others and have a good grasp of the issues. Another big influencer in asking someone to become a Site Helper is the particular part of the forum they help in most. For example, for a long tome we only had one Scottish Site Helper and one Scottish Mod, so it was likely that given a choice between two equally 'qualified' prospective Site Helpers we would have asked the Scottish one. In the last few months I'm happy to say that we now have a number of Scottish Site Helpers, so it is no longer such an issue. Likewise, we would be quite keen to recruit someone who could advise people in Urdu or some other language. So, recruiting Site Helpers is not really about looking at all the people with X number of posts, we try to ask people who we feel are knowledgeable, can get along with people and have something really worthwhile to contribute.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Guest littlesally

Thanks for that.

Guido in your link bookworm said ......

Site helpers are people chosen because they have been helping on the forum as regular users, and they soon show themselves to be people who spontaneously guide and help, especially with the influx of new arrivals. The change to the site helper title and colour is there to reflect that.

So what about site helpers who haven't posted much nor been here long so therefore how do they "prove themselves"?

Sally x

Well, they would obviously have been asked because they have demonstrated qualities we're looking for.

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Guest littlesally

I guess that's what I'm asking.

How long does it usually take for someone to have demonstrated qualities you're looking for?

And how many posts? In the link Bookworm says not usually before 250 posts. That does not seem like many. How does someone prove their vast knowldge, availability and commitment in only 250 posts?

There are plenty of people I see with loads of experiance, freely given etc but they have never been asked.

I won't name names.

Sally x

I think that to a certain extent your post answers itself. As Bookworm says it is not usually before 250 posts. Implicit in that is the recognition that it could be before 250 posts if we feel that it's appropriate. I think that a high post count is not always the best way to judge whether someone is knowlegeable or not. You are of course quite correct when you say that there are a load of people out there with lots of experience who have never been asked to become Site Helpers, but like I said in my earlier post a number of them certainly will have been asked, but declined the offer, and others may not have had the particular qualities we were looking for at that time.

Guest littlesally
Bookworm says not usually before 250 posts. That does not seem like many. How does someone prove their vast knowledge, availability and commitment in only 250 posts?

Sally x

And that bit Robert?

Sorry I'm being picky.

Would it be if you knew their work from a previous site or something like that?

I would imagine if Martin Lewis joined he would be a S.H straight away or even a mod ........... :-D

Sally x

I'm not sure anyone has ever said that you need to have 'vast' knowledge of anything to become a Site Helper. Like I said earlier, they would have been asked because they demonstrated qualities we were looking for.

Sure your turn will come Sally!

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

Guest littlesally

Somehow I don't think I quite demonstrate qualities they are looking for.

But just incase anyone was thinking of asking me, I am afraid I will have to turn it down......... :D :D :D

Sally x

I have previously asked about the blob system, but no-one who knew replied

Well I can clear that one up for you.

You receive ONE green blob for each 100 points of rep you receive up to 500 points.

After that it takes 200 points per light green blob up to 6.

So in the end you would have 5 dark green and 6 light green blobs for a total of 500 + 1200 = 1700 points.

You are awarded points when another member clicks you scales.

Now the formula behind the size of this award is very complex with a lot of variables, but I have noticed that Mods give around 20 rep per click and other members give varying amounts depending on post count, age of account and the number of greenies they have.

Hope this shed some light on this part of the site.

Ps I use the same forum software on the site I admin hence the in depth knowledge of the rep system ;)

• Haha 2

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

You receive ONE green blob for each 100 points of rep you receive up to 500 points.

So in the end you would have 5 dark green and 6 light green blobs for a total of 500 + 1200 = 1700 points.

You are awarded points when another member clicks you scales.

Now the formula behind the size of this award is very complex with a lot of variables, but I have noticed that Mods give around 20 rep per click and other members give varying amounts depending on post count, age of account and the number of greenies they have.

Hope this shed some light on this part of the site.

Ps I use the same forum software on the site I admin hence the in depth knowledge of the rep system ;)

Well there you go, you've told me something I didn't know. I have occasionaly wondered about the mystery that is the green blobs.

aha clear as mud icon10.gificon10.gificon10.gif

*Steps back in amazement*

I explain something to a Mod Wow ;)

I forgot to mention that the Black square mean that the member has diabled rep display.

They can still give (hint) and receive rep, but the greenies aren't displayed at all.

k65, I'll summarise for you.

Basically.

reputation_pos.gif = 100 points

reputation_highpos.gif = 200 points

So the more greenies the more times that member has had their scales (reputation.gif) clicked and a comment been left.

You can view your points in the usercp, top left.

• Haha 2

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Guest littlesally

;)

Curly could you post that here please .............

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/4297-reputations-2.html?highlight=reputations

As you will see you have answered my questions about the light/dark blobs.

I would like to see how much my clicks are worth, is there some way that could be done? It seems a bit rude to click someone then ask how many points it was worth!

Sally x

Guest littlesally

Is there somewhere there is a list of Mods and S.H's and what their specialities are?

If not could we have one please?

It would help if someone has a particular problem and wants to PM - they would know who to contact.

Sally x