Deposit issue - Landlord living abroad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just ended 1 month ago my 12 months AST and my ex-landlord is ignoring my request for the return of the deposit (£1500!). I am quite tired of chasing him around and unfortunately, also short of money :rolleyes:. I have decided to take him to court for both the deposit and for compensation for disrepairs occurred during the tenancy. My landlord lives abroad and the property was managed by agents, the address on the tenancy agreement was C/O the managing agents. All my corrispondence during the tenancy has been with the agents.

Am I correct assuming that the correct address for serving the notice is C/O the managing agents address (for both compensation and deposit), even after the tenancy has expired? The deposit was paid to the agents and the tenancy agreement is silent about them being stakeholders or not. I was thinking to sue the landlord with the agents as co-defendants. Is this the correct procedure? Could the fact that the landlord is resident abroad be a problem?

Help would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes: ...thanks!

Sounds like you know what to do.

- Serve the Landlord the N1 form C/O the agents.

- If your unsure who has the deposit then ask the agents? If not then its quite acceptable to list both the LL and agents on the N1 form, just make sure you have done the Letter Before Action on the Agents as well as the LL.

I could be wrong(Esio will correct!) but I think if the tenancy agreement is blank, then the deposit is held as stakeholder?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Just found this line in the tenancy agreement:

"where the deposit is held by the Landlord's Agent then the Agent will act on the Landlord's instructions"

what does that mean :confused: ?

Sadly for you, it means it is held as Agent for the Landlord. Thus you can only sue the landlord, not the agent.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

I know that the deposit was originally kept by the agents but unfortunately I don't know where is now as the agents are unhelpful...they told me in the beginning that the deposit would have been returned whithin a "reasonable" time (talk about obscure terms :rolleyes:) and then switched to "ignore calls and mails mode" :mad: .

I don't have a direct contact with the landlord who lives abroad (but I know his address), all corrispondence during the tenancy was with the agents.

Sadly for you, it means it is held as Agent for the Landlord. Thus you can only sue the landlord, not the agent.

Hmm...does that mean I'll have to pursue the landlord abroad of that I can serve the notice to the landlord C/O the agents' address which is the address written in the tenancy agreement?