Banco Halifax - Account Closure

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I banked with the Banco Halifax here in Spain, but after bad service I decided to close my account. This was duly done by the bank, but after two weeks I was contacted by the Banco Halifax regarding an outstanding balance of about 40 euros.

Apparently, this was a debit card transaction which had taken place before the closure of my account, and one which had taken a long time to process.

Since the Banco Halifax have closed my account without appearing to check first that there weren't any outstanding debits, how do I stand with regards to not paying the oustanding balance?

Does this not count as negligence on their side?

Thank you for any advice.

Apparently, this was a debit card transaction which had taken place before the closure of my account, and one which had taken a long time to process.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but a debit transaction is deducted from your account instantly regardless of how long it is before it shows up on a statement, otherwise we would all be able to overdraw on our accounts.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but a debit transaction is deducted from your account instantly regardless of how long it is before it shows up on a statement, otherwise we would all be able to overdraw on our accounts.

the transcation was one carried out on the internet (a japanese company similar to amazon), so maybe it wasn't strictly a debit transaction? amazon usually debit my account on the date of dispatch.

either way, since the Banco Halifax were happy to close my account (it had a balance of 00.00 when they did), are they able to make a claim on an outstanding balance in retrospect? surely this is an oversight on their part?

Hi Everard

Dont know if Im right or not but would think that you would have to repay as like you said if it was not stricktly classed as debit trans .I thinktheir argument would be that you knew you had paid the money out at the time of closure so therefore you need to repay them as it would be up to you to check your statements .

Regards :)

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

Hi Everard

Dont know if Im right or not but would think that you would have to repay as like you said if it was not stricktly classed as debit trans .I thinktheir argument would be that you knew you had paid the money out at the time of closure so therefore you need to repay them as it would be up to you to check your statements .

thanks for your reply, overflow.

the transaction took place, and was completed weeks before my account was closed. so much so, that when i withdrew my money before closing the account, it didn't cross my mind that it wouldn't have cleared, as I already had the goods in my possession.

to be honest, i'm so annoyed with my experiences with banco halifax, the paltry amount which is outstanding seems like fair recompense for the time, phone calls and aggrivation which they have caused me.

the only documentation they have been able to provide me with, is the statement from my account on closure (with a zero balance). nothing on the transaction itself, other than details of the amount in the covering letter.

surely banks must ensure that there are no outstanding payments before closing accounts?

maybe i'm just clutching at straws?

HI Everard.

Just a thought but if as you say they have not got any documentation showing the transaction, ( Im going to backtrack now) how on earth can they know how much you are owing or for that matter that you are owing anything at all. Perhaps you should hold out and ask for evidence they have got to be sent to you. Who knows?

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

I managed to close my account with haliprats, but only after a "fight" with them, they refused to let me close it until I paid them £78 that they said was for unpaid DD, which I might add, if they had done everything I asked them to do in the first place, should have been paid by my new bank in the second place. But I can now honestly say that my account is now closed, & I don't owe them a penny.

So I can't get my head around the fact that it has been closed, & you say, there is a supposedly outstanding balance of 40 euro's. I think I must agree with overflow, & say you should ask for evidence to the effect, & if they can't produce any then that's a problem for them.

--------------------------------

If you approve of my Post, please tip my scales.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No they're not in all cases. They are only debited instantly if the retailer is directly connected to the debit card clearing system.

I would think that the delay here is because the amount was taken in Japan or wherever the company has their banking system, they then haven't processed the payment until much later, therefore there was no way the Halifax or any other bank for that matter would know that you had used this method of payment.

From the banks point of view they would take the attitude that you should have checked your statements to see if everything had gone through when you closed your account I'm afraid. So the nasty bit is, yes you do owe them this money as they've actually paid it on your behalf and you have the goods. Put it another way without being too nice as far as banks are concerned, if you were expecting a refund on something and you had closed the account you would expect them to pay you the refund now wouldn't you ?

thanks jollyjo, your explanation of the debit card payment does seem to work in Banco Halifax's favour.

i'm currently waiting to see whether they will offer to deduct the cost of a registered post letter (my closing statement) which was sent to my mother's address in the UK (fault of the halifax), and which she had to redirect to my address in spain at cost.

thanks everyone for your replies. as a newbie, this forum provides an excellent service and insight. best wishes to all with your claims!

HI Everard

Hope you get the result your looking for off the bank.

Looks like the bank in Spain doesnt know what they are doing anymore than their sisters here in UK. LOL:D

If you ever need any help with a claim or yoou have any questions then please feel free to come here and give a yell cause always someone willing to help out.

Good Luck

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.