Quick question on CCJ's

Curlyben
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The OC can use an "agent" to collect the debt. Equidebt are prize examples of this!!

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Apologies Curlyben, I was using the term "agent" loosely - I have seen a letter from Equidebt which says "We have been advised that you are in arrears under the judgement obtained against you" a letter had previously been sent to the client from the OC(who had obtained the judgement) saying that the account had been passed to Equidebt. I don't know if it's legal - but it's happening.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I've asked this before as well. I'd like to know.

I didn't think you could sell a debt on under a CCJ.

If the new owner takes you to court again you would effectively have 2 CCJ's for one debt. Plus 2 courses of action cannot be brought on one account.

How could they enforce the original CCJ? No one apart from the legal owner and solicitor have the legal right to.

Also recall some-one saying terms & conditions were being changed to take account of above (Barclays?). Similiar thing also read on charging interest after judgement.

Just read a recent MBNA terms & conditions and there is nothing new there. They will need to update "You cannot transfer your liabilities" to comply with unfair contract terms though!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, but a judgement debt is still a debt, and so I would think it would be covered by the law of property act...

Legal assignments of things in action.

— (1) Any absolute assignment by writing under the hand of the assignor (not purporting to be by way of charge only) of any debt

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.