Lowell Chasing an old debt - Help

Dizzy1979

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I stumbled accross a thread about old debts not being recoverable (I may have read that wrong apologies if that is the case.) If not can anyone please advise me.

In 1998 I moved house and my old landlady instantly starting returning my post to the sender one of the letters was a bank statement from HSBC. They instantly cancelled my £150 overdraft and demanded the money back within 7 days. I didn't have the money and after 6 months of tooing and froing I agreed to minimum payments of £5 a month. The outstanding amount had increased to around £190 by this point as was changed into a loan agreement. Mid 1999 I moved house and (I know this was stupid but I was only 19) didn't notify them off a change of address, I have since moved 5 times and understandably I haven't heard anything from them since.

On Saturday I received a letter from Lowell Financial

Dear ************

Our Ref: ***********

Original Address **********

We are trying to contact you regarding the address of ************** We have recently been supplied information that suggests you previously resided there.

It would be appreciated if you would contact us immediately on the telephone number provided below to confirm the update to your address details.

If we do not hear from you we will assume the information to be correct and update our systems accordingly.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your co-operation in this matter.

call our freephone number blah blah blah blah quoting ref ********

Yours faithfully

The address they refer to is the address I lived at, at the time of the Debt. They haven't stated what it is about but I have a feeling its regarding this old debt.

I haven't had any contact from the bank nor anyone since 1999. Can anyone tell me where I stand? I haven't contacted Lowell yet I thought I would seek some advise first.

If I am still liable (which I suspect I am) for the debt, I suspect it will have risen since then and either way I can't afford to pay it all upfront. Will they have to accept any payment offered? For example if I offer £30 a month will that work or will they have a right to have full financial details?

Thank you for any help you can give

NEVER call a DCA, they will say anything to try and get money out of you.

If that's all their letter says then file it under IGNORE until they have something more concrete to go on.

They are simply phishing.

Now as to the "debt" as this is over 6 years ago it has become statute barred and unenforceable.

True Lowell can ASK for payment, but that's it.

• Haha 1

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

the 6 years starts from the last point of contact you had with the compnay. so if it was 99 then you are ok, if they not lowells wrote to you in say 2003 and you answered then the 6 years counts from then..............

check your papwerwork if you stil ahve any.. orif your memory is good and you know it was def 99 then as ben says it is time barred by the 6 year rule

rockin all over the world

Thanks for your help, ill update if anything else occurs. One thing I was advised (I called CAB and insolvency hotline too) is that if the bank got a CCJ against me for this at the time then the staute barred doesn't count... I have requested full detailed copies of my credit file and hopefully they will show nothing!

Thanks again

I copied this from the Direct Gov website. I am presuming that once six years has passed since the CCJ was lodged and even if you still haven't paid the debt, then it should not show on your record:-

County Court Judgment (CCJ) records

Unless you pay the full amount of the judgment within one month, your CCJ will be recorded on the Register of County Court Judgments for six years.

Organisations such as banks, building societies and loan companies use the registered information to help decide whether to give you credit or loans, like a mortgage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Dizzy and Jo, there is NO mention here of a judgement being made.

If Lowells did have a CCJ they would of intimated this in the letter, rather than phishing as they have.

Jo, once a CCJ is granted there is no limitation to it, so it is always payable.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too