May sound a stupid question but

hayley

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i had a car a few years ago on hire purchase and i had nothing but trouble with the car from day one but as i was only young i didn't get trading standards involved as i didn't know my rights then. After a few months i gave the car back to them as i could no longer afford to pay for repairs that needed doing to the car, i still owed them £4493 so a couple of years later i paid off the £4493 so i was one debt less. My question is because i paid it off so is that car legally mine as i have paid for the car and the finance interest, this is really a stupid question i know but was just wondering :confused:

IMO. so many ifs can you give as much detail for some on here to make a good informed judgement who did you hand the car back to....was it the finance company,,,and did they sell it,if so they owe you the difference and if they have not informed you the sale price you are due compensation i would have replied yes of course the car is your property you paid for it but you may just have paid for clearance of the debt did it go to court were you threatened with court action,, albeit a bit late but if its all paid for and no debts its yours also check if you bought on finance if you paid ppi insurance see if you have anything on that as well good luck

patrickq1

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Thanks for answering my question patrickq1:)

I am sorry for not being more clear, i gave the car back to Family Finance (finance company) i am assuming they did sell it. I am sorry i a a bit vague because this happened a few years ago now and i dont have any of the paperwork, it is not until i started using this wonderful site it made me think about a few things. I am positive that they never told me how much it was sold for. I didn't actually go to court but they did put a CCJ on my credit file, i am not sure about the PPI either. Do you think i can do anything about it now?

if you can give more details on here without putting your name ect then we can do our best to advise you of what you can and could do ...patrickq1

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

also you cannot be ccj without going to court for default that is what a ccj is,COUNTY COURT JUDGMENT.is a ccj..in case that isnt clear

if you can give more details on here without putting your name ect then we can do our best to advise you of what you can and could do ...patrickq1

Yes no problem, what do you need to know?

was the debt for non payment and did it go through the court system

because firstly you need to write a letter to the finance company the letter and details of what you need to do is below called SAR and from their you can then get an idea of whats what, with your sar request you must make a payment of £10.00 in order for you to get all your details from them this will also tell you how much they sold the car for etc

hope this helps but i will visit this thread and supply more details and also try and get a site helper to take you through the stages of what to do patrickq1

1. Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request letter - List of charges

was the debt for non payment and did it go through the court system

because firstly you need to write a letter to the finance company the letter and details of what you need to do is below called S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and from their you can then get an idea of whats what, with your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request you must make a payment of £10.00 in order for you to get all your details from them this will also tell you how much they sold the car for etc

hope this helps but i will visit this thread and supply more details and also try and get a site helper to take you through the stages of what to do patrickq1

1. Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request letter - List of charges

Great thanks, i know how to do the SAR as i done this with the bank charges, i did stop paying for the car as sson as it became faulty and in the end i gave it back to them, i will send an SAR to them though and keep you updated.

Thanks for all your advice:)