Us vs Halifax (hardship case?)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me as I've got a few questions.

Last year I claimed my mums charges back from the halifax successfully. My mum had cancer about 18 months ago and as a result lost her business. She is now employed about but on a part time basis as she is still recovering.

Because of the situation she is in, I pay the majority of the bills and mortgage, from my halifax account as hers is in a debt management plan with CCCS. She has a bank account with the coop but is not allowed any direct debits, and so basically I pay the mortgage with my salary from my bank account, but the mortgage is in her name.

I've heard about hardship cases, and it seems to be if you have mortgage arrears (which we have about £4,000) and credit card debt you can't pay back (which are also included in her debt management plan) you may be able to apply to have your charges looked at before the test case is resolved.

Is this the case with us and if so, how do I go about it?

I hope that made sense, thanks for any help!

You can start the process on your claim, and when it gets to the court stage, if it gets stayed, you can apply to have it lifted due to hardship.

Have a read of these links.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/107550-oft-test-claim-what.html

Is your court staying claims

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cases-stayed-pending-oft/109936-find-out-here-if.html?highlight=hardship

Staying claims forum

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cases-stayed-pending-oft/

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi Vikiross

Id take SSL's advice cause at least even if theydo stay your claim it will be in the system for when the banks lose the test case, so then you wont have as long to wait.

Also I think hardship cases are still being allowed to go through depending on circumstances so I think your in with a good chance.

Regards :)

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

It is up to the court wether a claim gets stayed or not. Not the bank.

So it is better to have your claim going through the system, and then you can decide the best option for you.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi Vikiross

You dont need to tell the bank about your situation, as SSL says we all know the bank cant stay any cases, its got to be the DJ's decision.

Just go ahead with your timescale and when it gets toi the stage where you need to file a N1 then you can include the situation in there as I think it would class as hardship case.

Regards :)

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

• 4 weeks later...

The last link may be of particular interest to you.

It was part of the agreement between the FSA/OFT and the banks that although current claims would be "stayed" that "hardship " cases would be filtered through.

If you feel that SINCE THE WAIVER you have

1) appealed against a stay on this basis and been refused

(Just to clarify, the courts have a right to stay any case but banks should

not apply for a stay in cases of hardship.)

2) contacted your bank and asked to be considered on this basis and been refused

3) had been offered a settlement which has now been retracted

if you feel this applies to you please pm me or post details here. I am trying to help CRFX250 collect data to send to the FSA. He is trying to gather evidence in order to make them consider lifting the Waiver which is due for review.

Here is a link to the proceedure the banks were supposed to adhere to

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Re...ction_disp.pdf

And also an extract from the website announcement.

• Consumers who have received a final response from the bank/building society which does not include an offer
    Consumers still have the option of complaining to FOS. However, the banks and building societies have also requested that the FOS does not consider any complaints about unauthorised overdraft charges until resolution of the test case.
  • Consumers who are in very difficult financial circumstances - 'hardship cases'
    Banks and building societies will have to conduct a filtering process to ensure that cases of genuine hardship are still dealt with during the waiver period. Cases of hardship would still be entitled to be referred to, and dealt with by, the FOS.

:-) This is also a useful thread to read Success at A and L via hardship case route

thanks

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

There is an announcement today regarding gathering information on hardship cases.

Also this might help

Jan

An idea - any comments from mods and others?

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

• 10 months later...

Hi I am also involved in trying to get my money back from the Halifax

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/158630-halifax-hardship-help.html#post1697178

However what is the next step for me to do.

Note to MODS If I have posted this in the wrong place......SORRY