LA Fitness and ARC Debt Agency

judy23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can point me in the right direction here, as I am fed up with calls from ARC debt agency

At Christmas I bought a three month contract at LA Fitness for my sons Christmas present. At the time I was told the contract was for three months but they would continue to take the money each month until it was stopped (realise now it was niaeve of me to believe it).

At the end of May my son finished college and was lucky enough to get a job, but he has had to move away to do it.

To cut to the chase, my son handed a note in to LA Fitness to say he was moving away and I wrote to my bank to stop the direct debit which was stopped in July. I had one letter from LA Fitness so rung and explained and the next thing I know I'm getting phone calls from Debt Agency ARC, really rude and nasty when I explained my son has moved away it was 'Oh Yeah'. I explained that he never took out the contract anyway. This hasn't changed anything and I am still getting post and phone calls for my son even though he doesn't live here.

I have phone the gym today and asked for a signed copy of the agreement, because I don't even know what it said, because it was me who arranged everything not my son, he is going to end up with a bad credit rating even though he's done nothing wrong. They are not taking any notice of anything I tell them. Please can someone advise me of what steps I should take. I am thinking of going to my local newspaper to highlight what this Gyms tactics are it will make people think twice about joining it.

• 3 years later...

I am also having the same problems, I signed up to LA fitness, and I never received a copy of my contract, i was informed that it was month to month basis, and that my membership ended on the following Feb. I am however a full time student, and i never seemed to have the time to use the gym so i decided it was best to cancel which i did. Then i suddenly start getting letters from ARC demanding money from me and threatening to take me to court, so i called them up and explain the situation the gentleman i spoke to was extremely rude and very aggressive in his manner. He said he had a copy of the contract i had signed explaining i understood if i cancelled then i would be liable for the full years membership, i told him i didnt even have a copy of this and i needed to see this, he wasnt interested in anything i had to say. i explained to him i was student, and was living off student loans, still he wasnt listening or even interested, he then had the cheek to say to me if i paid the months membership i owed i could still keep using the gym. I finally agreed after him railroading me into settling the debt and with his constant threats, i agreed to set up a direct debt of £20, i then realised that i cant actually afford this, i went to cancel the direct debit, only to discover that it in fact hadnt been set up, and i discovered that even tho the guy had assured me that nothing would be charged to my card, they had infact been charging my card without my consent, so i had to cancel my card and order a new one. They are now contacting my parents address even tho, when i spoke to them i told them i did not live there.

I am at complete lost now as to what to do.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction here, as I am fed up with calls from ARC debt agency

At Christmas I bought a three month contract at LA Fitness for my sons Christmas present. At the time I was told the contract was for three months but they would continue to take the money each month until it was stopped (realise now it was niaeve of me to believe it).

At the end of May my son finished college and was lucky enough to get a job, but he has had to move away to do it.

To cut to the chase, my son handed a note in to LA Fitness to say he was moving away and I wrote to my bank to stop the direct debit which was stopped in July. I had one letter from LA Fitness so rung and explained and the next thing I know I'm getting phone calls from Debt Agency ARC, really rude and nasty when I explained my son has moved away it was 'Oh Yeah'. I explained that he never took out the contract anyway. This hasn't changed anything and I am still getting post and phone calls for my son even though he doesn't live here.

I have phone the gym today and asked for a signed copy of the agreement, because I don't even know what it said, because it was me who arranged everything not my son, he is going to end up with a bad credit rating even though he's done nothing wrong. They are not taking any notice of anything I tell them. Please can someone advise me of what steps I should take. I am thinking of going to my local newspaper to highlight what this Gyms tactics are it will make people think twice about joining it.