Jump to content

 

BankFodder BankFodder

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'stranded'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • The Consumer Forums: The Mall
    • Welcome to the Consumer Forums
    • FAQs
    • Forum Rules - Please read before posting
    • Consumer Forums website - Post Your Questions & Suggestions about this site
    • Campaign
    • Helpful Organisations
  • CAG Community centre
    • CAG Community Centre Subforums:-
  • Consumer TV/Radio Listings
    • Consumer TV and Radio Listings
  • CAG Library - Please register
    • CAG library Subforums
  • Banks, Loans & Credit
    • Bank and Finance Subforums:
    • Other Institutions
  • Retail and Non-retail Goods and Services
  • Work, Social and Community
  • Debt problems - including homes/ mortgages, PayDay Loans
  • Motoring
  • Legal Forums
  • Latest Consumer News

Blogs

  • A Say in the Life of .....
  • Debt Diaries
  • Shopping & Money Saving Tips
  • chilleddrivingtuition

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


About Me


Quit Date

Between and

Cigarettes Per Day


Cost Per Day


Location

Found 6 results

  1. Hi A local developer has received planning approval for a project that will place a side wall less than 3m from several of the properties. It will also build over a public sewer that we have an easement for. The community believes the decision was taken without proper consultation, and ignores rules and guidelines for local planning. In addition it was possibly rushed through to meet the deadline to avoid CIL in July. Due to the council being short staffed, by the time we had an opportunity to explore options with them, the decision had been made and also the time limit has passed for us to request a judicial review. Complaining to the council for an incorrect decision via the ombudsman will only result in a slap on the wrists and fine but won't undo the wrong. The developer has put forward several arguments to support keeping the plan as is, as opposed to a simple modification that will not cost much. The residents feel cornered by a system that is loaded against the people it should be there to protect. Any suggestions welcome.
  2. Due to FGW trains running half an hour late today our guest has been left stranded. She needed to get from Truro up to Plymouth to catch a Megabus onward to London Victoria and from there to Bracknell. However, the 14:42 train was late by half an hour, meaning she would arrive in Plymouth just as the Megabus was leaving Plymouth. Catching the later train and Megabus would have left her stranded in London overnight, so that option is not viable. We contacted Megabus to see if we could transfer her ticket for today to Monday but they have refused as we have given less than 24hrs notice, and told us that FGW should provide a refund for the entire journey. FGW have told us that all they will do is refund the ticket from Truro to Plymouth and are not responsible 'for consequential losses'. Surely as FGW have caused this problem they should do more to help? And I fil to see how Megabus would lose out financially by transferring the tickets from today to Monday? Meanwhile, our teenage guess is now stranded in Truro, and Passenger Focus have advised that it will take them 5 days to respond to our complaint. Does anyone have any advice please? tyvmia
  3. Hi! I was on an late-night EMU leaving New St. at 2247, which normally arrives in time for me to catch the last 40 bus to Birchtree Hollow within 1/4 mile of where I live. However last night the train came to an abrupt halt in the middle of nowhere due to a total power failure (not wires down - I heard the driver say the pantograph and wires were fine!) and it was almost 1 in the morning before another unit came to propel us - it was like going home on the Ghost Train - no lights, motors, doors or anything! It is three-and-a-half miles from the station to where I live, much too far to walk, and happily, after some grumbling at the Station Master I was given a taxi fare! (They did lay on a connecting bus but the bus-driver said he wasn't allowed to stop anywhere but at the stations, and the first one was five miles from my home!) My question is, Should you be stranded late at night with no onward transport to within walking distance of your home or other destination due to breakdown of yours (or even another!) train, signalling/points faults, wires down, etc., etc., can a train company absolve themselves of all responsibility just because your destination is a long way from the destination station of the delayed service? How do you claim compensation and how much can you reasonably claim if you ***are*** unlucky enough to be stuck with a very long walk late at night - I wasn't last night but this ***has*** happened once before last night's incident and the T.C. offered no help on that occasion!
  4. Hi, I'm pretty shaken up by what's just happened today when Arriva trains Wales refused me and my 2 children (aged 10 and 12) the return journey which we'd started this morning. The conductor refused to let us stay on the train, apparently because of my surfboard. We ended up having to catch a taxi from Borth to Newtown. At 10am this morning I checked with the conductor on the platform that we could buy the tickets on the train, he directed me to where I could place my surfboard and bought a day-return ticket to Borth to catch some waves. En route, he explained that we would need to change carriage in Machynlleth where the train divides and to carry my board along the platform. At no point did he mention that there might be any restrictions on surfboards and as this was the first time I'd taken it on a train and had previously seen others with boards on trains I had no reason to think there might be a problem. At 13:43 we boarded the return train in Borth (not overly full) and as I was placing my board in the cycle area where there was plenty of room (just one bike there), the conductor approached me and said: 'We don't take surfboards'. I tried to explain that I had bought a return ticket with my surfboard that morning with no mention of Arriva not taking surfboards but he was immovable even when my 10 year old, visibly distressed, asked: 'How are we going to get home?' 'We don't take surfboards' was all he said, no apology nor willingness to discuss further. Short of dumping my board, we had no option but to get off. I phoned Arriva customer service whose only suggestion was that I should wait 2 hours for the next train and 'explain' to the conductor what had happened. Considering that was what we'd just done, I rang for a taxi instead having told Arriva that I would be billing them for it. The Customer service crew told me that they had no way of contacting the on-board staff for the later train to intervene on our behalf and that they would not pay for a taxi for us to get home. I've now looked at the Arriva website and it says there may be restrictions on 'surfboards... that cannot be carried without assistance'. I can easily carry my board and had another bag in my other hand. Even if they do have restrictions surely by selling me, my kids and my surfboard a ticket this morning on behalf of Arriva which I bought in good faith, that's a contract and I could reasonably expect to be able to return. The fact that I was left stranded with children by a (second) conductor who clearly didn't give a fig is pretty shocking. Any assistance most appreciated, thanks.
  5. I was left stranded last night on the A4, one of the main archeries into London, after my car broke down at 19:00 on the inside lane of the A4, near Hogarthroundabout, causing a major traffic hazard. The advisor told me my call would be a prioity, due to the circumstances and I was informed that I would be recoved within an hour. Two and half hours, I was still there until another garage I contacted recovered me (the short story). No customer services department to speak to, or anyone skilled to understand my frustration. I have been told if I cancel my membership I will not receive my money back. Has anyone been in a similar situation and can anyone advise how to get a refund? M
  6. Myself my partner and my 2 children aged 5 and 2 went on holiday to Turkey with Thomas Cook arriving on Mon 28/05/12 (early hours). On the Monday my daughter developed a rash and small raised bumps on her back. I thought it was a reaction to the sun or suncream. Changed the suncream and applied more often. Tuesday rash also to back Wednesday/Thursday some spots on torso (we thought she had been bitten). Friday covered in spots head-to-toe. We hadn't even considered chicken pox as our son had had it twice and she had never caught it so thought she was immune. We told the rep on the friday afternoon and he advised we had done the right thing and she would need to see a doctor to determine if she could fly. The doctor came out and examined her (ears, nose, throat) examined the spots and determined they were scabbing and she would not be contagious for the flight during the early hours of Monday morning. In fact he said he would be happy enough even if she was flying the next day. He said he would complete a fit to fly certificate and drop it off on the Sunday. We discussed with the rep who was relieved for us and advised we may be asked to see another doctor at the airport but it would just be proceedure. He said he would be at the hotel on Sunday should we have any problem getting the certificate. By 5pm on Sunday the fit to fly had still not arrived. The original rep was not there buy the rep manager was. My parner spoke to her and she was quite rude and seemed put out. He then spoke to the reception staff who advised they would try to contact the doctor. no help from Thomas Cook and thanks to the hotel staff we got the certificate. The manager said that would be enough to get us on the plane. Thinking all now ok we were picked up and arrived at the airport approximately 1.15am. At check-in I volunteered the certificate to staff expecting we would need to see the doctor as advised by Thomas Cook. After much discussion with her manager etc we were told she needed to copy it but we were checked in bags taken etc. Through passport control fine. To departure gate. To door of the aircraft where the groundstaff were waiting with cabin crew and asked us to step aside. At this point my partner is carrying my sleeping 2 year old and I have my daughter and all the hand luggage. We were then lead back past queue of passengers to a small landing where people continued to file past. We were then informed by a very rude condescending man (possibly co-pilot or chief cabin crew) that we wouldn't be permitted to board the plane. My 5 year old started crying. He then pointed at her and said 'she can't travel with an infectious disease'. At this point my daughter was devastated crying 'Im sorry Im sorry its all my fault.' It was extremely distressing. He was very put out when we asked why as we had the certificate and he said she had only had it 3 days. I pointed out that the certificate stated it had started more than 3 days before we saw the doctor i.e. we saw him on 01/06 but it had started 28-29/05. He said it didn't matter as we were denied boarding. He then said he would discuss with the pilot but during this time our baggage was removed from the plane and groundstaff started discussing who would take us back out making it clear that the decision wouldn;t be changed. He came back and said as per medical advise from the UK she couldn't fly and that was that. He then said 'there's a plane full of people can you imagine the claim for compensation'. He then said we wouldn'y be able to go home for at least 5 days. My daughter was at this point hysterical - she had been up for 20 hours and was already sensitive as had alot of nasty comments on holiday about the spots. Added to this all of the passengers were filing past pointing and staring at us. It looked like we had tried to smuggle her on with the spots when we had done absolutely everything as advised by Thomas Cook. I said to my partner 'oh my god work is going to sack me' - the guy then said 'now you're just being silly I'm sure they won't under the citcumstances'. As if he had any knowledge of me or my job. I then said can one of us fly with the baby which really put him out. He replied 'if you must'. I asked if we could have time to sort hrough the bags quickly as otherwise my partner would either have to have no bags or all of them (Dalaman airport strictest in the world £14 per extra kg of luggage would have meant a charge of £420 if I'd left him the bags). I was told 'now you're just being silly again'. My daughter was then screaming 'mummy don't leave me' and he said ' right Thomas Cook won;t leave you stranded and I'll leave you with the groundstaff' and off he went. Plane left about 5 miniutes later. We were then left to take our children, hand luggage and hold luggge (luckily on a trolley) back through the airport. The staff spoke little English and we were led to the airport exit doors. We waited just inside them but there was nowhere to sit so we had to sit on the floor with my still sobbing 5 year old for 2 hours. The groundstaff spoke to a Thomas Cook rep who at no point asked to speak to us to give us any reassurance etc. Eventually the woman put him on to me but only because she couldn;t understand him. He advised he could put us in a hotel in Fethiye but it was 90 mins away so we would need to get a taxi. We told him we had no money. He then said he would call back. He did but continued to talk to the staff again. Eventually she put him on to me again and he said he had us a place in Icemeler but again we would need our own transport. I reiterated we had no money. He then suggested we get someone to transfer us some! Or alternatively try to get a lift with another tour operator!!. He then called back to the groundstaff by which point my partner became very upset, me and my daughter were crying and sitting on the floor of a deserted airport at 5am whilst he carried our son. He stated he would just take the money out and deal with the consequnces later. The rep gave the hotel name to the groundstaff who found us a taxi. We got in and only at this point did we find out we were going to neither of the resorts mentioned and were in fact going back to Marmaris! It took us 90 minutes and cost £65 and when we got there the taxi driver asked where the hotel was. We explained we had no idea and didn;t even have the name. He asked another taxi firm and they had no idea either. We had no contact details from Thomas Cook to call for help so felt utterly abandoned and lost. We were about to getout and lay the children on the beach when the taxi driver found the hotel by chance. The place was grim. We went to the room (it was by now after 6am) and it was horrendously hot. I opened the patioo doors which led to a balcony which was over the street and was easily scaleable by my 2 year old (which is why I asked for a ground floor at our original hotel). We asked about aircon. The guy said 'you must pay more and left'. In order for the children to sleep I hadf to open the doors but then couldn;t sleep myself for fear of the baby waking and going out there. My daughter was then sick from the heat, distress and lack of sleep. Next day my partner went to sort aircon and get water and bumped into the Thomas Cook rep - who had no idea who we were or why we were there or what had happened. she was very nice and really lovely but had to leave at 12 but advised someone from Thomas Cook would call with info on flights and when we could go home etc. No calls for hours. We then proceed to exchange calls with Thomas Cook (having to keep walking across the street to call them). We were given the 0844 customer relations number to call which didn't work. Their answer was 'oh yeah its closed til wednesday'. We called them 5 times and on 3 occasions I was asked 'so what's the problem again'. Ecventually I was called at the hotel by Thomas Cook who simply said it;s nothing to do with us now you need to speak to your insurance'. I explained (again) that we couldn;t get flights because we didn;t know when we would be allowed to fly i.e. if a fit to fly cert wasn;t enough what did we need to do. Also explained my insurance compnay were still waiting for a report from them re why we were denied boarding. She put me on hold to speak to her manager then said she would call me back in a few minutes. An hour and a half later no call. I traipsed to call box again. Asked why she hadn;t called me back and was told she was 'still waiting for information'. I advised its common courtesy to call someone back when you say you were going to and she huffed down the phone at me! I then went to town on her. Within half an hour the manager turned up at the hotel. She re-iterated again that it was down to our insurance company. At this point we had just received the report from Thomas Cook re why we weren;t allowed to board - it had taken them over 8 hours to produce it. I explained we couldn't book tickets if we didn;t know if we could get on a plane!! She then advised we would need ANOTHER fit to fly cert within 24 hours of the flight. We had to go to the hospital and see another doctor (in fact we asked to see 2 so they could agree) and they were stunned that we hadn;t been allowed on the plane. Our insurance were great and got us flights for that night but Thomas Cook were not willing to provide any help with transfers to the airport. We then had to get another taxi to the airport at a £65 cost. My daughter became very upset as we went into the airport asking if everyone would look at her again and starting to cry. We were then told at check in that again we wouldn;t be able to fly!! After some discussion and speaking to the manager they advised would speak to the cabin crew (we were flying home with Monarch). We were asllowed to go to departure lounge but bags kept to one side. My daughter was crying asking if 'the man would shout at her again'. It was avery stressful 2 hours where we only found out 5 minutes before boarding that we would be allowed to board. It was a horrific experience and we were stranded and left to rot by Thomas Cook. Apologies for the huge post but wanted to explain all in detail. Do we have any legal standpoint here as our holiday was ruined (our first as a family) and my daughter advised she doesn;t want to go on a plane again. I want to claim for the distress, humiliation and stress to all of us but particularly to my daughter. Any advice????
×
×
  • Create New...