Jump to content

Showing results for tags 'self assessment'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • The Consumer Forums: The Mall
    • Welcome to the Consumer Forums
    • FAQs
    • Forum Rules - Please read before posting
    • Consumer Forums website - Post Your Questions & Suggestions about this site
    • Helpful Organisations
    • The Bear Garden – for off-topic chat
  • CAG Community centre
    • CAG Community Centre Subforums:-
  • Consumer TV/Radio Listings
    • Consumer TV and Radio Listings
  • CAG Library - Please register
    • CAG library Subforums
  • Banks, Loans & Credit
    • Bank and Finance Subforums:
    • Other Institutions
  • Retail and Non-retail Goods and Services
    • Non-Retail subforums
    • Retail Subforums
  • Work, Social and Community
    • Work, Social and Community Subforums:
  • Debt problems - including homes/ mortgages, PayDay Loans
    • Debt subforums:
    • PayDay loan and other Short Term Loans subforum:
  • Motoring
    • Motoring subforums
  • Legal Forums
    • Legal Issues subforums


  • News from the National Consumer Service
  • News from the Web


  • A Say in the Life of .....
  • Debt Diaries
  • Shopping & Money Saving Tips
  • chilleddrivingtuition
  • Homegirlxx


  • The Youth Academy
    • The Youth Consumer Service
  • Miscellaneous

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



About Me


Found 4 results

  1. When my ex husband died a few years ago I inherited our small home (flat). I was living in rented accommodation and did not want to live in the flat so in the 2013/14 tax year I rented it out and it has been occupied since. Recently, a former colleague and friend who was doing my Self-Assessment tax returns has had a complete breakdown and will not be fit and well for the long term. I since discovered that no Self Assessment tax returns were submitted, the whereabouts of my paperwork is unknown and I'm not registered for Self-Assessment. I accept that this is partly my own fault; when I was told I did not need to submit a tax return as there was no tax to pay, I should have questioned it. The amount of tax owed is very small (around £700) I decided to make a voluntary disclosure to HMRC under a campaign for landlords called the Let Property Campaign. I worked out what I owed, completed an online disclosure (including selecting my own penalty) and paid HMRC. I am just awaiting their confirmation that this has been accepted but verbally they have indicated all is OK. In the meantime, sick of paying rent myself, and discovering my landlord is selling the property that I live in the for the second time in two years, I am buying a small house. I have found a house, have a decision in principle for a mortgage and now the house buying process is moving forward. This is a life saver for me in some respects, living in rented accommodation is very depressing and being unable to have children, I need something to live and work for so having my own home will change my world in many ways. As I am older, single, only have 15 years working life left and have a below average credit score, I am using a mortgage broker as these circumstances narrow my options somewhat. The problem is that the mortgage company I have a Decision in Principle from (as do most mortgage companies) require official documentation that my tax affairs are all up to date; this would be in the form of a SA302 and/or Tax Year Overview. Had I had the confidence to do my own tax returns, I would have been able to get these documents from my Self Assessment records. But because I have paid my tax via the disclosure route, all I will get is an acceptance letter from HMRC saying "yes, we accept your disclosure and confirm that you have paid £700 tax due for the last three tax years”. Now it seems that this may not sufficient for the mortgage company. I have tried a few times to speak to someone at HMRC but it is a frustrating process and I am getting nowhere. Please does anyone know how I am going to be able to provide the mortgage company with something that will suffice so I can get a mortgage and get out of this downward spiral of depression that my life currently is. Thanks for reading
  2. I have a portfolio of a few properties and submit self assessment for UK property income. I have a leased car which I use mostly but not exclusively for business (visiting properties / maintenance etc.). Can I claim the cost of lease (proportion that I use for business) & fuel under box 29 (Other Expenses) in the self assessment form?
  3. Hi I am just trying to complete my self assessment, I had a PPI interest repayment, with tax deducted form R185 was sent to me by the bank, I am totally confused as to which boxes to use on the tax return, does it come under assets? I have no income for this year other than a small pension so can't afford professional help, can anyone point me in the right direction, I have been reading all the taxation 'help' but still confused thanks for reading
  4. Hi there, I need a bit of advice as i am trying to claim a tax refund from HMRC but keep coming up against brick walls. I am currently employed and have been since 2006. In 2006 i was registered as Self-employed and kept HMRC up to date with all my employment records. For the year 2010/11 there was a bit of an overlap as they had not deleted my self-employment records so i had 2 tax references - one being a self-employed reference and the other being an employed reference. To clear this matter up, they asked me to complete a tax return which i happily did online. On completion of the tax return, it stated that i was entitled to a refund of £1,295.40 within this employment. When i received my statement through, it said that i was not entitled to anything and that i had nothing to pay either. On calling the tax office, they stated that i did indeed have an overpayment due to me but needed to complete a paper form as the deadline for online returns had been closed. I sent the tax office a letter with my P60 for the year 2010/11 disputing the claim that i needed to complete another tax return to which was replied: Dear Mr xxxxxx, Thank you for your letter dated 01 July 2011 and attached P60. I note that you are disputing whether a 2010-11 Self Assessment Income Tax Return needs to be completed. You submitted an on-line return after nil charge had been made for the year 2010-11. We cannot accept an on-line Tax Return once a year has been closed. We issued you with a paper return with an employer page. This is to be completed by 30 October 2011 for paper returns and 31 January 2012 on-line. Once a return has been issued, it needs to be completed by law. I trust this now explains the position. Any refund due will be made on receipt of the Return. i return your P60 for the year 2010-11 herewith. Yours sincerely Mrs J xxxx Unfortunately, i'm still confused. I submitted my return on the 12th May 2011 online so clearly met the deadline. Within the form i completed was an employer page which i completed. Therefore, what exactly is the difference between them assessing my online form and me having to complete a paper form containing all the same information? I submit forms online as it is more convenient for me due to the fact that i have to drive to the nearest postbox, i also assumed (stupidly) that it would be more efficient. I have also misplaced the form they sent me and am unable to submit a new form online. Also, on checking my online summary it clearly states that i am due a refund, so why is it so difficult to actually get?? Some advice and possibly an explanation would be greatly appreciated. Kindest regards, Littlelion2010
  • Create New...