Jump to content

Showing results for tags 'marriage'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • The Consumer Forums: The Mall
    • Welcome to the Consumer Forums
    • FAQs
    • Forum Rules - Please read before posting
    • Consumer Forums website - Post Your Questions & Suggestions about this site
    • Helpful Organisations
    • The Bear Garden – for off-topic chat
  • CAG Community centre
    • CAG Community Centre Subforums:-
  • Consumer TV/Radio Listings
    • Consumer TV and Radio Listings
  • CAG Library - Please register
    • CAG library Subforums
  • Banks, Loans & Credit
    • Bank and Finance Subforums:
    • Other Institutions
  • Retail and Non-retail Goods and Services
    • Non-Retail subforums
    • Retail Subforums
  • Work, Social and Community
    • Work, Social and Community Subforums:
  • Debt problems - including homes/ mortgages, PayDay Loans
    • Debt subforums:
    • PayDay loan and other Short Term Loans subforum:
  • Motoring
    • Motoring subforums
  • Legal Forums
    • Legal Issues subforums


  • News from the National Consumer Service
  • News from the Web


  • A Say in the Life of .....
  • Debt Diaries

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start




Found 10 results

  1. A terrible thread title but its as good as i could do Im trying to help a family member out with advice. I've told them to make an appointment to see CAB and also their Occupational Therapist but wondered if anyone on here would have any clue on the subject... So they are husband and wife and live in a 3 bed council house. The wife is on numerous disability benefits mainly for a degenerative bone disease (has x amount of crumbling/broken vertebrae and numerous other related problems) and the husband doesn't work and is the carer. The marriage has broken down and the husband isn't doing any of the caring. The wife wants to split and move out but the husband doesn't and they are both on the tenancy. Because he doesn't want to move or split up she cant ask the council for a move to a one bed place. husband and wife are constantly rowing and there has been violence and its also very likely to happen again. It sounds a bit boring to me now seeing it written down but in reality things are really boiling over and the wife is at her wits end. She OBVIOUSLY has the option of leaving but not only would she lose her house but the council have also said they would not be able to put her anywhere else. To me the best outcome would be if the council would swap the 3 bed house for 2 single flats but as im writing on behalf of the wife she is obviously more worried just about her. It seems the husbands refusal to accept a failed marriage has anchored her in a kind of limbo. Any advice please?
  2. me and my partner have decided to end our marriage and go our separate ways. we have tax credits and housing benefits claims that both have overpayment recovery on them. I am the one that will be leaving the house we currently rent leaving my husband and 2 kids in the house. I have been told that i will have to cancel the tax credits and housing benefit and my husband will have to make a new claim for universal credits (both our names are on both claims). I will just be living off my wages and will not be able to afford to give my husband any money (I will be paying the bills while universal credit is being processed and all the things we have on finance anyway). He is fine with this but I am wondering what will happen about the overpayments. I will not receive anything in terms of benefits and I will not be able to afford to make any payments. any help would be much appreciated
  3. Hi All, I couldn't find a "marriage" related forum but please move this post if not relevant here. Mortgage issues is the closest I can get to. Here are the basic details. My daughter has been married for 5 years. They have 3 young children. Mortgage is in the husbands name. Both are named on the Deeds Husband is the only income earner. Husband decides to up and leave - not wanting to be involved anymore. A girlfriend has subsequently appeared on the scene. My daughter has agreed to take over paying all the bills and pays 50% towards the monthly mortgage payment. Husband want's to get back on the property ladder and restart his life and also have somewhere to have his kids at the weekend. He wants to force her to sell the house, split the equity and go their separate ways. My daughter is not in a position to do this with 3 young children. She doesn't work so even with some equity wouldn't qualify for a mortgage. Whatsmore, she didn't choose to be in this situation. It was his choice to up and leave. He refuses to rent even though he can afford to do so as he see's it as throwing money down the drain. Does he have any legal right to force her out and is she obliged to help him in some way restart his life? Cheers.
  4. I have just had this brought to my attention. Just a few quick questions to answer using the from from the HMRC website. https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
  5. Sorry if this isn't the place but I couldn't find an appropriate sub-forum. I have a very frustrating problem at the moment and I wonder if anyone can help. My father recently died and my brother and I are joint executors of his Will, together with being the main beneficiaries. In 2006-2008 my father went to Cuba on holiday on a few occasions and on one of his trips married a Cuban. She never moved to the UK and he never moved to Cuba – it was more a marriage of convenience for my father to be able to visit without problems with immigration out there. My father has not seen her since 2008 and has never provided for her financially. He has left her a small token in his Will also, plus she will be entitled to a monthly income from his pension. Anyway, we are now starting the gruelling process of sorting his affairs and we cannot find a marriage certificate for them anywhere. For all we know the marriage may not have been legal, but we have to assume it was. We have tried to contact the spouse without success, the number seems to have been changed (the one in his address book) and she hasn’t answered any emails from us, and we are not even sure she is getting those. I have also written to her via normal post asking for the marriage certificate. On top of this, I have also written to the Cuban Consulate to see if they can help me. Unfortunately we have no idea of the date or place of marriage, only that it was around 2007 or 2008 and apparently dealing with Latin countries is a very arduous process. Unfortunately we are at a standstill and I wonder if anyone can advise what we can do to progress probate. I have been advised we will need the marriage certificate but if we get no response and no-one can get hold of her and we can’t find any details or proof of the marriage, where does that leave us? The property still has a mortgage and we have opted to continue to pay this until sale, but obviously that won’t be possible unless we get probate. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Kxx
  6. Hi to anyone that can help My Fiance and I have been awaiting her Decree Absolute to arrange our wedding and it has come to light that her previous marriage of 10 years wasn't lawfully carried out due to an administration error of the Registry Office. We have been told her case is to be heard before a DJ this week to confirm that the marriage wasn't legal, and that the registry office will send out a form to complete regarding compensation that will go before a DJ to award compensation accordingly. Does anyone know how much compensation is awarded in these matters and what can be taken into consideration at all?? Many thanks Hadituptohere
  7. Hi, Please can somebody give me some advice. I left my husband yesterday due to his unreasonable behavior. I had to call the police as he would not let me go and mildly physically abused me. I have savings in North Cyprus that I had there from before we married and would like to know if he goes to see his friend, who is a solicitor, can he make a claim for half of this money. The account is in my name only. The only time I have used this money was whilst we were married, I bought a house in my name to restore and sell in the U.K using this money and once the sale went through, I transferred it back to North Cyprus again. There is actually less money in the account now than when I first opened up the account before we married. I do get 400 pounds a month interest on it a month but I am having to live on that now. My husband receives disability and E.SA. Can he start a quickie divorce to try to get half of this money. I will not agree to a divorce though as the unreasonable behavior was on his part and I have not committed adultery? Thank you so much for this help, I am going out of my mind with worry.
  8. http://www.itv.com/news/2014-08-11/couple-die-within-hours-of-each-other-on-76th-wedding-anniversary/ RIP together. x
  9. Hi Guy's, I am going to meet with CAB this week but was also hoping to get some opinions / advice from knowledgeable Caggers I am getting married to my partner and wanted to know if my debts become their's when we tie the knot? I have (unsecured) credit card debts and loans from quite a few years ago. I have had no contact with creditors for quite some time (4-6 years+). I have not contacted them in writing or by phone and the creditors do not know where I live. However I have received some letters from a debt collection agency (who the banks have sold the debt on to) at a previous address i lived at over 6 years ago. The company is working on behalf of AMEX. From my understanding there is something called the Limitation ACT 1980 where after 6 years I can claim that the outstanding debt is Statute barred. My partner owns some property and is financially secure. We want to put some of the property in joint names and some in individual names for tax purposes. Now, i'm pretty sure that some of the debts are over 6 years old and some are not (i obviously need to work out which ones are not) What happens in the above scenario as the debts are unsecured. What i don't want is for them to start chasing my partner. However, if i am "off the grid" to the creditors, can they find out i've got married or where will be living? Hope this makes some sense Many thanks for your thoughts
  10. Hi im not sure if anyone can help but i thought il give it a go as i was recommended this site. against my husbands parents will (who have always hated me) we decided to get married last year. we had a long distance relationship and when we got married, my husband left his parents house and moved in with me. we found it was alo of pressure on us both financially and emotinally as his parents were still doing everything to break us up and would not let us publically announce our marriage. this caused alot of arguments. during our relationship, there was long periods of time where my husband had not worked so i purchased many items of clothes and various things for him- i have not kept these reciepts. over a row about my husbands parents, in anger he rang them and he went back home. his parents are now forcing him to divorce me or loose them forever. he hadnt taken his things and was asking variuos people to come to my house and pick up his things. i am reluctant to give him his things - not only becaus i paid for teh majority of them but i dont see why i should make it easy for him to return home and leave all his responsibilty from me. i have now recieved a letter from a solicitor saying i shoud give him back his things within 7 days or face further action. his mother has forced this on him. why should i give his things back? he rarely contributed financially in the relationship. im sure all the time people break and throw each others things in the bin??? i still want the marriage but his parents have said tehy will cut all ties. i am worried about the letter. i simply wanted HIM to collect his things not others. don't know what to do.....:fear:
  • Create New...