Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'housing benefit problem'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • The Consumer Forums: The Mall
    • Welcome to the Consumer Forums
    • FAQs
    • Forum Rules - Please read before posting
    • Consumer Forums website - Post Your Questions & Suggestions about this site
    • Campaign
    • Helpful Organisations
  • CAG Community centre
    • CAG Community Centre Subforums:-
  • Consumer TV and Radio Listings
    • Consumer TV and Radio Listings
  • CAG Library - you need to register to access the CAG library
    • CAG library Subforums
  • Banks, Loans & Credit
    • Bank and Finance Subforums:
    • Other Institutions
  • Retail and Non-retail Goods and Services
  • Work, Social and Community
  • Debt problems - including homes/ mortgages, PayDay Loans
  • Motoring
  • Legal Forums
  • Latest Consumer News


  • A Say in the Life of .....
  • Debt Diaries
  • Shopping & Money Saving Tips
  • chilleddrivingtuition

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



About Me

Quit Date

Between and

Cigarettes Per Day

Cost Per Day


Found 3 results

  1. Hi there this is my story. On 29th January 2013, my GP and a CAMHS care coordinator decided to make me off sick for deep depression and other health issues. I signed off from job centre to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for 8 weeks. From that date my life began a nightmare. It's took nearly 8 weeks for Job centre plus in Belfast to make a decisionl. They rejected my claim for a reason which is still unclear. So they told me I won't be paid but I can complain. From the time I signed of from JSA, housing benefit has been suspended for 4 weeks, then has been closed. My council recalculated my council tax for those 8 weeks and now asking me to pay £120. My landlord wants to proceed to an eviction. During those 8 weeks my daughter and I lived with child tax credit (£62), I was a bit proud to have manage everything and been able to pay all my bills. Naive as I am I thought ESA will be ok and the money back dated, so housing benefit will do the same. Now I know I was wrong and everything is lost. I am in debt of council tax and 2 month rent. I called Jobcentre Belfast regarding them decision, they told me to write a letter as they are unable to tell me something over the phone because it is not them who take decision. I called my council, they told me to pay or they will prosecute me. I went to CAB, they gave me a letter type for Jobcentre and proposed me a food voucher. I called social services for help, they proposed me to take my daughter off from me. (NEVER) I wrote to my MP and do not have an answer yet. I am usually a fighter but now I am sinking, I am so in stress that I did communicated it to my daughter who has been one month sick and passed a week at hospital. I am waiting my last sentence which will be the eviction...... Thanks if you have read this post
  2. Hi could some one please help me I work part time hours and i have 4 kids and get help with my rent and council tax. which is housing benefit and council tax benefit. my 4th child was born in june 2011 and i went down to the office and notified them that i now had a 4th child and handed in my babys birth certicate i also showed a lady down at the office a letter from child tax credits with our new award and told me she didnt needed anything else from us. has tax credits and child benefit there get automatically notified. i thought fair enough and went home. back in april i received a letter for over £1500 overpayment in housing benefit and council tax saying we did not declare you new award of tax credits back in june 2011, and we must pay this money . so i appeal agaisnt the overpayment and because of me appealing against it. the benefit office have sent it to court which is middle of august 2012. could anybody give me some advice please.
  3. Hello everyone, I worked in London for 4 years and recently became unemployed. I am receiving contribution based JSA but been told I am eligible for Housing Benefits as well. I am very conflict-free person that is why I am writing to this forum for an advice. My situation is difficult. I would like to claim Housing Benefits until I will find a new job - hopefully in less than 6 more weeks. The claim is also going to be backdated (extra 4 weeks) to the point I lost my job and so it should make up around 10+ weeks. It means a lot of money for me right now. I live in a share house; have got a proper join-tenancy agreement for a double room that I share with my father. My unemployed father is here just to learn English and help me around and since he has never worked in UK he is not claiming any benefits (we never tried). The entire rent for a room was always paid by me - though there are 2 persons on our tenancy agreement. I pay rent monthly in cash to the landlady but with no receipt/any proof/rent-book issued. As many of you would question why I pay this way - money was always tight and I could never afford "official prices" in London and bills were always included. Cash in hand got me a cheaper price for double room compared to official market prices. Until recently I wasn’t even aware Housing Benefits existed and the help they could have given me all those years. Renting is all "black business" in our share-house I guess and I believe not a single person is registered on electoral list or anywhere as they should have been. Claiming my housing benefits might create too many problems for our landlady which is what I am trying to avoid – not my business. I live 3 years in the same house on the same address but I am sure I have not been registered anywhere too. I do owe credit card registered to this address that I have been here 3 years. Many questions follow: 1.) Myself being over 25 years old and my father is unemployed how much of Housing Benefit would I receive? My LHA is £100 per week. Would I receive just my equal half of monthly rent or a full rent for appropriate weeks? 2.) I know Council will send somebody to check my room and I have zero problems with this. With tenancy agreement being just for my double bedroom will they check other rooms too - because I have read they are checking conditions you live in? House can be classified as overcrowded. I haven't got any proof that I paid rent on time and no rent-book exists. Obviously every tenant and landlady can confirm I paid on time but is it a problem for me? 3.) My tenancy agreement is bills inclusive (including council tax) but it is not noted on the actual tenancy agreement - "bills inclusive" was verbal agreement only. Would I be liable to pay any outstanding Council Tax of those last 3 years? 4.) What would be time estimate when will they come to visit if I file HB claim? As I said I do not mind them visiting at all but it will ruin relationship between me and landlady and tension might be very high from that point. I do not like being threatened by landlady (or anybody else) later on. I am not keen to create problems to landlady whatsoever or problems to any other tenants in the house as overcrowded and they might all have to move on. It is not my business I agreed to price and condition - so I am asking upfront. On the other hand 2.5 months of rent money is a lot to wave goodbye to – as I have no income right now. Unless it will be only half of rent of my room then it might not be worth the trouble. I’ve downloaded "Housing Benefit claim form" and clearly the landlady HAS TO sign the form which scares me. See page 31 onwards of hounslow.gov.uk / housing_ctax_benefit_form.pdf 5.) I am pretty sure Landlady will refuse to sign anything. Then what is the point of me even trying and me causing problems? She would NOT agree for me to claim for many apparent reasons and she will refuse to sign it? Can I make a valid claim without her signing anything? Thank you all in advance!
  • Create New...